PDA

View Full Version : A bit OT : What does Strassberg speculation say about the vintage Mkt

Misunderestimated
06-22-2010, 09:03 PM
I assume this is speculation but .... Wow:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-BOWMAN-CHROME-SUPERFRACTOR-STEPHEN-STRASBURG-1-1-/150458901752?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Baseball&hash=item23080ca4f8

Sorry this is OT ( I framed the question in the title of this thread in lawerly way to make it less OT)

toppcat
06-22-2010, 09:34 PM
It says nothing about the vintage market. If I had $17K to spend on a card I would probably buy a T206 Magie or a 52 Topps Mantle.

sbfinley
06-22-2010, 10:40 PM
I also don't believe this card's hammer price has anything correlation to the vintage market.

HOWEVER...

I have become tired of all the boards I frequent bash the buyers who spend serious money on such modern cards. At the end of the day we all collect cardboard with pictures of ballplayers and they are only worth what someone will pay for them.

ChiefBenderForever
06-22-2010, 10:57 PM
At the end of the day we all collect cardboard

Technically speaking the new stuff is mostly plastic.

sbfinley
06-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Got me there.

Bosox Blair
06-23-2010, 12:23 AM
I also don't believe this card's hammer price...

Not even a hammer price, as the reserve was not met. This seller just bought the card for over $16.4K and was trying to flip it for more than $18K...didn't work...

Cheers,
Blair

Matthew H
06-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Not even a hammer price, as the reserve was not met. This seller just bought the card for over $16.4K and was trying to flip it for more than $18K...didn't work...

Cheers,
Blair

I would have took that profit.

People speculate that his cards will not hold half their current value over the next 5 years, however, they were a good buy two months ago!

Bilko G
06-23-2010, 01:42 AM

Cheers,
Blair

theres still 5 days left in the auction....

Bosox Blair
06-23-2010, 01:51 AM
theres still 5 days left in the auction....

Good point - I thought it was over.

scooter729
06-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Some are saying how these prices are ridiculous, but in my opinion, anything that gets baseball card collecting into the mainstream media is good news for us.

The Strasburg stories have been on ESPN, Yahoo and I'm sure many other outlets. This hopefully will help drive new collectors into the hobby, and with some luck, they'll stick around and see the fun we get out of collecting vintage cardboard.

birdman42
06-23-2010, 07:39 AM
I have become tired of all the boards I frequent bash the buyers who spend serious money on such modern cards. At the end of the day we all collect cardboard with pictures of ballplayers and they are only worth what someone will pay for them.

Steven,

If somebody spends $18,000 (or $100,000) on a card and adds it to their collection I don't think anyone in the hobby is going to bash the buyer. It's when you spend that much money on something you have little appreciation of, strictly as a speculative venture, that you open yourself up to bashing.

As a side note, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the flipper's eBay handle code is d***a.

Bill

Bicem
06-23-2010, 11:41 AM
If somebody spends $18,000 (or $100,000) on a card and adds it to their collection I don't think anyone in the hobby is going to bash the buyer. It's when you spend that much money on something you have little appreciation of, strictly as a speculative venture, that you open yourself up to bashing.

Bill

why? what's wrong with someone trying to make a buck?

alanu
06-23-2010, 12:08 PM
The only thing I can derive from this is that there are a lot of people out there (vintage and modern collectors) with a lot of disposable income.

jboosted92
06-23-2010, 12:50 PM
The only thing I can derive from this is that there are a lot of people out there (vintage and modern collectors) with a lot of disposable income.

it has to do with Marketing..... if a company buys this, they will be in every paper around the wrold

mark evans
06-23-2010, 01:20 PM
I agree that prices for Strasburg cards say little about the vintage card market.

And, while I would never criticize someone for spending his money as he sees fit, regardless whether a collector or speculator, I just cannot fathom that modern "chase" cards, which are valuable only because of contrived limited supply, will retain their value over time.

Even if Strasburg becomes the real deal (I've attended both of his home starts and he looks overpowering to me), I think my point still holds. Over time, there will be boatloads of Strasburg cards, including autograph cards and game-used cards, you name it. I just can't see how any particular card or cards will remain so much more valuable than all the others.

Leon
06-23-2010, 02:18 PM
This sort of reminds me of the little old lady that found the 1869 Peck and Snyder and was subsequently on The Tonight Show and many other media venues with it. That card sold in Memory Lane for around 75k. It's not a 75k card (and wasn't then). About a few days later I got a call from the person who bought it, the gentleman that owns Tri-Star, whom I have met a few times. I guess he Googled the card and found mine on my website and since we knew each other a little bit, gave me the call. I told him I thought it was a neat card and I like mine a lot but it really wasn't quite as valuable as what he paid for it. He said he would get 2x the price of it back in advertising. I think several months after that he consigned it to another auction house and it did only bring about 40k-50k, if I remember correctly. So the bottom line is that some of these very high profile cards come with benefits that have nothing to do with the actual value of the card itself.

I have no issue with anyone spending their money the way they want to. I just hope they don't think the 100k+ card is going to rise a whole lot in value. Historically that has not been the case.

And one last thing. I firmly believe that any GOOD publicity for any baseball card collecting is GOOD for ALL of us. So kudos for the whole spectacle, in that respect ;).

regards

barrysloate
06-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Leon made a good point. It's quite possible that many of the bidders at the high end are in the process of starting businesses and just need some kind of splash to get off the ground. Clearly whoever wins this card will have his face on TV and in newspapers, so maybe that's what he's buying. Because baseball card wise, he's getting virtually nothing for his money.

mark evans
06-23-2010, 04:01 PM
I agree with you guys and would clarify my view that there's nothing wrong with the purchase, even if just because the buyer likes the card alot.

DeanH3
06-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Check out this Strasburg. Auto'd 1 of 1. Not my cup of tea but someone likes enough to shell out 100k+. :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Bowman-Stephen-Strasburg-Red-Autograph-1-1-AUTO_W0QQitemZ200485213281QQcategoryZ213QQcmdZView ItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its% 3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7607 358371064372602

tbob
06-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Ask all those people who bought cases and cases of 1981 Donruss and Fleer and Topps cases so they could pay for their kids' college education how that is going.

Misunderestimated
06-23-2010, 11:02 PM
At least the autographed card is going for more money..... That seems like a better value than the super-duper-duper referactor thing...

Matthew H
06-23-2010, 11:33 PM
It's kind of funny how alot of people think these bidders are crazy (I do too).

Everyone in my family thinks I am crazy for spending the money that I do on cards. I'm sure all of you has at least one person like that around you so I guess now we know how they feel.

I think it's good that modern card manufactures have figured out a way to make cards valuable again. They made opening packs exciting. Good for them. As time goes by, the hobby needs new collectors and that's what its getting. Remember, we need new generations of collectors for our cards to hold their value too.

Otherwise our children won't get half the money we spent when they dump our collections :D

chris6net
06-23-2010, 11:57 PM
I am going to invest in a case of RA Dickey,s Cards!

Misunderestimated
06-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Nearly a million $ for the autographed card.... and this is after SS's first loss.
What if he gets hurt before the action ends how many bids would suddenly get "withdrawn?"
(a little bad luck and he's the next Mark Prior, right.)
I guess the sale price will set some records (what is the record for a card sold on eBay? How about the record for a memorabilia/autographed card? or the record for a card issued by Topps (what's the high price for a PSA 10 (or whatever) 52 Topps Mantle?

Bosox Blair
06-25-2010, 01:57 AM
Nearly a million $ for the autographed card....

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Prediction - in 7 years the card won't be worth $100. (Truth is that even if it is to some person, I could not care less...but I think it won't be.)

Cheers,
Blair

yanksfan09
06-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Prediction - in 7 years the card won't be worth $100. (Truth is that even if it is to some person, I could not care less...but I think it won't be.)

Cheers,
Blair

I get what you're saying. But i would argue even if he blows his arm out tommorow, I'd still pay 100 dollars for that card now in 7 years just to have as a conversation piece. This is beyond ridiculous now. I guess we'll see what happens and if ANY of these bidders actually pony up.....

PWeso81
06-27-2010, 11:07 AM
I was sent this article.

http://www.asylum.com/2010/06/25/autographed-rookie-card-going-for-1-million-on-ebay/?sms_ss=email

I agree with most opinions.

1) Way too much $
2) People can spend $ on whatever they choose
3) It brings publicity...especially to Topps...who (as of 2010) own the rights to all MLB cards produced...Hmmmm.

Gary Dunaier
06-30-2010, 10:47 PM
I am going to invest in a case of RA Dickey,s Cards!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1198/4731305813_7f844cf26f.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1355/4731949422_4ee7f6fb2e.jpg

:cool:

tbob
07-01-2010, 10:24 AM
So what's the latest on the million dollar Starsburg card? I saw where the seller ended the auction but didn't know if he sold it privately or it is re-listed somewhere :confused:

rnisly
07-01-2010, 10:33 AM
It has been consigned to Huggins and Scott

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1991481

barrysloate
07-01-2010, 12:44 PM
The seller is taking a huge risk if Strasburg suddenly starts pitching like a rookie. If the auction starts and he's 3-6 and the team feels it's best to shut him down for awhile, the card will sell for virtually nothing. With this type of card timing is everything.

That said I wish everyone luck with it. It's still a good story.

hunterdutchess
07-03-2010, 05:24 PM
The seller is taking a huge risk if Strasburg suddenly starts pitching like a rookie. If the auction starts and he's 3-6 and the team feels it's best to shut him down for awhile, the card will sell for virtually nothing. With this type of card timing is everything.

That said I wish everyone luck with it. It's still a good story.

Your right, I would throw that thing back on ebay with pre-approved bidding asap! In a month this kid could be under .500

tbob
07-03-2010, 07:07 PM
The Nats rallied late today and saved him for going under .500 although he didn't get the win. When the fans get to vote for one player on each team to be added I bet you anything Strasburg will be elected if he is one of the 5 players to be voted on. A starting pitcher with 2 wins and in the All-Star game, what a travesty that would be. :rolleyes:

Browncow75
07-03-2010, 11:00 PM
All I know so far is there's about $20k+ of available prewar cards the Strassberg(Strassburg?) buyer left still for sale for us to add to our collections!

PolarBear
07-04-2010, 12:46 PM
T....He said he would get 2x the price of it back in advertising.....

Good point. Think of all the publicity the guy got who bought the Bonds HR ball.

As far as the market goes, it shows that the vintage market is established and stable, the modern market is speculative.

Matthew H
07-04-2010, 01:05 PM
The Nats rallied late today and saved him for going under .500 although he didn't get the win. When the fans get to vote for one player on each team to be added I bet you anything Strasburg will be elected if he is one of the 5 players to be voted on. A starting pitcher with 2 wins and in the All-Star game, what a travesty that would be. :rolleyes:

The All-Star game decides WS home field advantage and I think that regardless of his win totals with the Nats, he would give the NL team a great chance to win. At least 3 to 6 critical outs.

Maybe the Nats will not let him play even if he's elected. He's their investment and what do they care who gets home field.

tbob
07-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Strasburg wasn't included in the list of 5 NLers for fans to vote for to pick one more player to go so we'll see how he does in his next 20-25 starts. That's the way it should be :)