PDA

View Full Version : Old newspapers (partially OT)

Jim VB
06-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Was visiting my mom this weekend and cleaning out her house in preparation for an upcoming move. I found a box in the basement of old newspapers. Apparently, my dad (and even my grandfather) liked to save old newspapers when the headline was interesting and/or important.

Most were from various dates in World War II, but here is a sampling of 2 that I saved because I found them interesting. The first is baseball related. The second shows that the classy headline writers of the NY Daily news have been around for years.

I have no idea what I should should be doing to save/preserve/repair these. Any suggestions? There is also one from 1898 describing the sinking of the Maine. This paper is so old and brittle that is has split in half. I don't want that happening to the newer ones.

barrysloate
06-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Best thing to do is not handle them. Put them in some plastic sheets, preferably mylar, and don't turn the pages. Just save them for the headlines.

The Ted Kennedy headline is dated July 20, 1969, the day man landed on the moon. Didn't realize those two events were nearly simultaneous.

Jim VB
06-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks Barry.

Oh, the moon??? He had that one too! ( A little harder to scan though.)

barrysloate
06-21-2010, 03:45 PM
I have a newspaper dated February 12, 1809 with the headline "Abraham Lincoln Born Today." I think that's a good one!

Rob D.
06-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Barry,

Hanging in my daughter's room is the front page of the newspaper I worked for when she was born. The headline of the lead story announces her birth, and the accompanying story, which I wrote, includes "quotes" from Bill Clinton, Tom Hanks, Britney Spears and former Ohio State football coach John Cooper. And, of course, a huge photo is present. All the other stories on the page are "real" from that day, so it gives a good feel for what was happening at the time.

I always thought producing such papers would be a good residual business for smaller to midsized newspapers. It's pretty labor intensive, but I figured proud parents (not to mention grandparents) would pay the price necessary to make it a profitable venture.

barrysloate
06-21-2010, 04:25 PM
I think novelty newspapers is already a business of sorts.

Rob D.
06-21-2010, 04:29 PM
True, but not ones that are personalized to that extent (with a story written to include details provided by the customer).

Jewish-collector
06-21-2010, 08:02 PM
I have a newspaper dated February 12, 1809 with the headline "Abraham Lincoln Born Today." I think that's a good one!

Barry- You gotta get that signed by Lincoln. :D:D:D:D:D

Scott Garner
06-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Barry- You gotta get that signed by Lincoln. :D:D:D:D:D

Send it to Roaches Corner- they not only can make it happen, but it will also be accompanied by a COA by forensic examiner Chris Morales. Sweet!! LOL

Bridwell
06-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi Jim,

I've been buying old newspaper ads with baseball content. I've also bought a few newspaper volumes with 30-50 issues in them. They are brittle and hard to handle. The best ads I cut out and inserted them into flexible plastic sheets from modern scapbooks. There is one dealer who cuts out ads and has them laminated. This approach seems to work pretty well as a way to preserve them. I've bought a few ads from the guy and they look good and are sturdy. Some collector purists won't like any type of alteration to the original condition, so if you're looking to sell them someday you might just leave them piled in a place that's not too dry, or too wet.

Ron

Jim VB
06-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Hi Jim,

... so if you're looking to sell them someday you might just leave them piled in a place that's not too dry, or too wet.

Ron

Thanks Ron. I currently live in Texas (too dry), and am planning a move to Florida (too wet), later ths year.

I think I'm screwed all around!