PDA

View Full Version : Brush with HOF fame...

53Browns
06-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Scooters recent thread about meeting Tommy Lasorda made me think that it would be interesting to share our experiences if anyone had an interesting encounter with a hall of famer. Maybe something more than just shaking their hand at a card show.

Here's mine: I live in northern kentucky. About 3 years ago I was at a gas station and getting ready to pump the gas when I noticed an old gentleman at the pump on the other side of mine seeming to have trouble. He was well dressed and driving a brand new Volvo SUV. I walked around the other side and offered to help. As soon as I saw him I knew who it was because I had met him once before probably 15 years back when he spoke at a men's breakfast at our church. It was Jim Bunning. He told me he was having a hard time figuring out the gas pump. It was one of the newer pumps, new design. I pumped his gas for him, shook his hand, he thanked me and that was it. I didnt bother him for an autograph, I already have one on a single signed ball. Nothing major but a neat encounter all the same!

jb217676
06-21-2010, 07:31 AM
but I hung out with future NBA hall-of-famer Charles Barkley when I worked at Scarborough golf & country club in the summer of 1997. One of the funniest guys you'll ever meet, and THE worst golfer you'll ever see. Really down to earth guy and the only famous athlete I can remember who carried his own clubs.

kkkkandp
06-21-2010, 07:38 AM
In February 2009 my wife and I were at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California catching a red eye back to New Jersey after visiting our son.

I was standing in line behind an attractive woman waiting to get our Starbucks fix. A man dressed in a warmup suit and an Angels baseball cap came up to the woman in front of me and gave her some paperwork. I recognized him as Rod Carew, who still lives in the Anaheim area.

I quickly jumped out of line to get from my wife a pen and something to write on. Rod and I chatted a bit - I told him how I remember him killing Yankee pitching - and he kindly gave me his signature.

He was very nice, but at 6:00 AM tired just like the rest of us mere mortals. :)

tedzan
06-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Bill

Nice encounter.

I have run into Jim Bunning on a couple of occasions on HOF weekends in Cooperstown. I found him
to be a very fine gentleman, willing to spend some time talking with you on any subject....baseball,
the economy, his perfect game on Father's Day in 1964, and of course....the Phillies.

But, I know better than to bring up the end of the 1964 Phillies season.

TED Z

scooter729
06-21-2010, 07:51 AM
I used to collect autographs in person around Fenway Park for many years while growing up, so I was fortunate to see many Hall of Famers. But I'll relate one of my strangest stories, which happened in September 2008 (as copied from a post I made on the CU boards at the time).
=====
I went last night to the Boston University Bookstore for a book signing by Johnny Bench. I was planning on buying his book and having it signed, but my real goal was to have him sign my HOF bat. I've been working on this bat for about 15+ years, where I have been getting as many Hall of Fame people to sign it. I'm close to 30 now. (My experience has been that at book signings, usually the people will only sign their book and not other things, but I figured I'd take a chance.)

I went into the signing area and left the bat in my car, and figured I'd ask Bench to see if he'd sign it first. (It's pointless to ask bookstore people, since they'll just say no.) So I waited in the small line, went up to Bench, had him sign my book, then asked him:

Me: Mr. Bench, I have a bat out in my car that I've had about 30 Hall of Famers sign. I would be thrilled if you would sign it for me as well.
Bench: Ah, well, ask my son what he thinks (pointing to back of room).

His son is about 20 years old and goes to BU - hence the appearance there. I'm confused, but I do as he said and go talk to his son. I repeat the story to the son, and he says sure, although he's not sure why Johnny told me to ask him. I go back out to my car, get the bat, wait at the back until the last 10 people or so get their books signed, then I go up to the front where Bench is, by himself.

Me: Thanks to you and your son for agreeing to sign the bat for me; I greatly appreciate it.
Bench (taking my pen and signing my bat): My son told you I want fifty bucks for doing this, right?
Me: Excuse me?
Bench (somewhat snapping at me): I'm here to sign books, not your bat. I want fifty bucks.
Me: No one said that to me. I had no idea.
Bench (angry now): Don't give me that crap. If you've had 30 people sign this, you know how it works. You want it signed, you pay up. (He's now holding my bat, not giving it back.)
Me (opening my wallet and showing him): I've got 24 bucks on me; I came in with 50, but just spent 26 to buy your book. And honestly, I haven't paid anyone else to sign my bat.
Bench: So you think I'm here to just sign your bat for free? Ridiculous. (Rolls the bat back across the table at me.) And to think I tried to give you a break - go to my website next time, and you'd have to pay 100 bucks.
Me: So do you want my 24 bucks?
Bench: Get out of here, will ya?

Matt
06-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Wow. Sometimes it's better to not meet the players in person so they don't ruin your boyhood memories.

chris6net
06-21-2010, 08:05 AM
That is sad. What a disgrace some people can be. CN

barrysloate
06-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Scott- that's an awful story. Bench is obviously a jerk, asking you for fifty bucks like that.

quinnsryche
06-21-2010, 08:12 AM
WOW that Bench story SUCKS! Sorry to hear that. My stories have better endings for me. My father used to produce card shows back in the mid 80's to early 90's and I got to sit with many players to help them get the stuff signed and move the line along. I was able to spend the afternoon with really great guys like Duke Snider, Eddie Mathews, Stan Musial (he bought ME lunch and we sat and talked, just the 2 of us), Fergie Jenkins, Bob Gibson (a real jerk to the paying customers but super nice to me), Don Drysdale, Robin Roberts, Billy Pierce, Ray Dandridge, Steve Garvey and the biggest ass of them all Pete Rose. He was a complete douche the whole time.

jb217676
06-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Wow! My Barkley story is the opposite of the Bench story. Sir Charles posed with us for pictures and signed autographs (including my jersey) for anyone who asked. I was still working at the same golf course the following year when Barkley made another appearance and was able to get him to sign my picture.

scooter729
06-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Yeah, that Bench incident was surreal when it happened. I've heard from others since then that Bench is notorious for this sort of behavior; had I known that, I would never had tried to get the bat signed.

Tons of other HOFers have been total class acts and happy to sign for free, such as Bobby Doerr (who still signs for free through the mail at age 92!), George Kell, Brooks Robinson, Warren Spahn, Luke Appling, etc. whom I used to be able to obtain when they played in old-timers games at Fenway.

I miss that the Red Sox don't do old-timers games any more; they used to be a great way to see older players. Do other teams still do these, or is it a thing of the past?

AndyG09
06-21-2010, 08:35 AM
I cannot believe Bench would suck that bad. I loved the "Baseball Bunch" when I was a kid. Bernie Carbo was my barber when I was young. He wasn't a Hall of Famer on the field, but he sure was to me when I was young. I don't remember much about the haircuts, but he was about as gracious a person a kid could meet. He would let me swing his WS black bats and he always had a cold one for my dad when we came in. Once he said in the mid 80's, "Bring me in a couple of baseballs and I will get you Ted Williams and Bobby Doerr." He was going to Florida to do the fantasy camps with the Sox. When he got back into town he apologized for not getting me Bobby Doerr. He got me two from Teddy Ballgame instead! :)

53Browns
06-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I've heard enough stories about Bench to totally believe he is a class A jerk! I've never met him and have no desire to.

barrysloate
06-21-2010, 08:58 AM
It's always seemed strange to me how these signing sessions sometimes pan out.

In almost every business, be it a retail or service one, the proprietor has an obligation to be courteous to his customers. You can't run a store, or wait tables, and be cursing at or insulting your customers. If you do they will not only never come back, but will tell their friends about it, too.

But in the sports memorabilia signing world, if a nasty ballplayer chooses to be rude to all the paying customers, and many of them do, the lines still keep stretching out the door and the ballplayer will always be invited back. Why is that?

Matt
06-21-2010, 09:24 AM
But in the sports memorabilia signing world, if a nasty ballplayer chooses to be rude to all the paying customers, and many of them do, the lines still keep stretching out the door and the ballplayer will always be invited back. Why is that?

Because we are collectors - if you are collecting HOFers, you need Bench in your collection. We don't treat restaurants the same way - I'm not aware of anyone attempting to go to every restaurant in NY and eat every item on the menu at each one. Sounds like a bad documentary.

alanu
06-21-2010, 10:01 AM
I hope Bench is reporting his income to the IRS.

PolarBear
06-21-2010, 10:11 AM
You're not the only one who had that problem.

http://forums.collectors.com/include/uploadbox/viewfile.cfm?files=ACF242%2Ejpg

FUBAR
06-21-2010, 10:31 AM
i would have thrown his book back to him and told him where to put it! \i have no respect for guys that act like a douche!

Never met any baseball players, actually, not many here would believe, i have never been to a MLB game. Been to lots of NHL and a few NFL but never a ball game. Its on my to do list.

I met Grant Fuhr when i was a kid and he was fanatastic...met many other Oilers over the years... Met a few UFC guys, all have been great.

Sucks to hear Bench is an A**, he is one guy i always liked. After hearing this, he joins Bonds, Rose in the Douche-mobile.....

Should any others join that club?

jb217676
06-21-2010, 10:47 AM
i would have thrown his book back to him and told him where to put it! \i have no respect for guys that act like a douche!

Never met any baseball players, actually, not many here would believe, i have never been to a MLB game. Been to lots of NHL and a few NFL but never a ball game. Its on my to do list.

I met Grant Fuhr when i was a kid and he was fanatastic...met many other Oilers over the years... Met a few UFC guys, all have been great.

Sucks to hear Bench is an A**, he is one guy i always liked. After hearing this, he joins Bonds, Rose in the Douche-mobile.....

Should any others join that club?

Randy Johnson. The most miserable athlete I have ever met. I was "in his presence" when employed at a different golf course. He was golfing with Heathcliff Slocumb when both were members of the Seattle Mariners in the late 1990's. Johnson wouldn't acknowledge anyone, no autographs or pictures... nuthin'. Slocumb was the opposite and was almost apologizing for Randy's behaviour. Also, I have to say hockey players are by far the nicest athletes you could ever meet. Very down to earth guys.

alanu
06-21-2010, 10:50 AM
I saw Frank Robinson blow off a little kid who asked for an autograph in the lobby of a Kansas City hotel when the Orioles were visiting the Royals, it was after his playing days when he was working for the Orioles. Left me with a bad impression of him.

53Browns
06-21-2010, 11:03 AM
I actually have two more brushes with a HOFer's I should mention. This is actually a much better one than my close encounter with Mr. Bunning. In the summer of 1984 I was a sophomore in high school and had just obtained the latest Baseball Address List by Jack Smalling and was feverishly writing to every ball player I could. The first encounter was when I wrote to the Chicago Cubs great Hank Sauer. His wife actually wrote me back and sent back the photo autographed by him that I had sent, along with a nice letter thanking me for being a great fan. This was in November. In December I got a box in the mail from "The Sauers". I opened it and there was a wrapped Christmas gift inside. I opened it and enclosed was a photo album that Mrs. Sauer had put together for me. It was full of re-printed photos and news clippings of his career. Some of them autographed. I couldnt believe it! Now that's a classy thing to do. I still have it!

The second encounter was the most exciting. That same summer, in August 1984 I noticed in the Baseball Address List that Waite Hoyt just lived across the river from me in Mt. Adams (Cincinnati). I wrote to him and let him know what a big fan I was and maybe sometime I could meet him. I expected him to send an autographed photo back. He didnt. He actually handwrote a shorrt letter back to me. The letter said he and his wife would love to meet me and he gave me a date and said why don't I come to their house and we can make a day of it. He included his home telephone # and asked me to call him. I about fainted! But then a horrible twist of fate happened. I got the letter in the mail late that evening because I was out all day and was planning to call him the next day to set up a meeting at his house. My Dad was watching the 11 o'clock news and I heard him call me from the other room. He told me to look at the TV. I did and the newscaster was reporting that earlier in the day Waite Hoyt, the hall of fame Yankee and long time Reds announcer was rushed to Jewish Hospital. A few days later he died. He never came out of the hospital. I was so close to meeting this legend. I still have the letter.

canjond
06-21-2010, 11:05 AM
I've also been pretty lucky to meet many HOF'ers and other athletes in my time, especially when I was younger and working for a show promoter and then agent.

One of my favorite stories, however, was with Reggie Jackson. As a kid, I would spend my summers in Cooperstown. One day, when I was maybe 12, I was walking past the golf course when I saw Reggie on the green. I always carried a baseball and pen with me so I waited for Reggie to sink his put. He must have nailed a 20 footer and was pretty happy about it because he was one of the nicest players I ever interacted with. Reggie signed my baseball and spent at least 5 minutes with me asking me what position I played, who I wanted to play for when I hit the major leagues, and so on, before finally excusing himself to go onto the next hole. A very a-typical Reggie day, but I will never have anything but good things to say about him.

Another interesting story happened with Yogi and Scooter. I was working an autograph appearance when I was probably 16 or 17. I was sitting between Yogi and Scooter. One of the personal items I had to get signed was a "best position players" book for kids from the early 1950's that featured the best player of each position and tips as to how to emulate the stars. Yogi was in the book at catcher, and Phil as a bunter. However, Yogi's name was featured in the book as Lawrence "Yogi" Berra. So, I asked Yogi if we would mind signing his page "Lawrence 'Yogi' Berra" and he politely agreed and did so. I then turned to Phil, who was featured in the book as "Phil Rizzuto" and asked if he would mind signing Phil Rizzuto. Phil gave me this look of disappointment and asked me if he could sign the book "Phillip Francis 'Scooter' Rizzuto" since quote "Yogi got to write his full name"! I, of course, agreed!

FrankWakefield
06-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Maybe you caught Mr. Bench on a bad day. He graciously signed for me through the mail, free. But that was several years ago. His website now says $125 for a bat. Ouch...

I sat beside Mr. Bunning, and across from his wife, at a political gathering about 16 years ago. They were both very nice.

Mr. Musial was a true gentleman and an ambassador of the game the one time I met him. I think that has been the experience most folks have with him.

I've been face to face with Ozzie Smith, Feller, Mathews, Reese, and most recently Steve Carlton. All were pleasant, or nearly so.

It's a fickle thing. Back when it was just signing it was different. I can't recall anything that I got signed with which I've parted. It will go some day, though. But obviously, some stuff gets signed one day and is on eBay the next. Gotta be frustrating to an old HOFer who played when the Miller Money would only buy a steak supper. Nowadays it's 6 figure money.

Exhibitman
06-21-2010, 03:37 PM
I’ve had varying encounters with HOFers in various sports. Some of my favorites:

--Jim Brown: I ran into him, literally, in the hallway at the Sheraton in Cleveland at a national. It was early in the a.m. and I turned from my room and ran into him. I said “Hey, you’re Jim Brown!’’ He said “Yes I am” and I said “I guess you probably know that already.” At least I can say I got a laugh out of Jim Brown.

--K.C. Jones: At the national a few years ago I was hanging out at a table staked out by an acquaintance of mine from L.A. A tallish older man joined us at the table and we chatted about Chicago boxing for a while. It was Jones, which I did not know until my friend told me.

--Willie Brown: The Raiders great was a guest at a card show I was working in the early 1990s. He came to my table looking for a Willie Mays card and bought a 1967 from me. I gave him a “Raiders HOFer” discount, which cracked him up.

Boxers are the most fun, down to earth guys:

--Carlos Ortiz [lightweight, jr. welterweight champ]: I saw Ortiz at a HOF ceremony and had him sign a striking pad. I told him that I had a card of him at home but I forgot it. He laughed and said “you f***ed up, my friend.”

--Jeff Chandler [bantamweight champ]: I met Chandler at a HOF event and chatted with him for a while at my table. After I asked him to sign a card for me he actually thanked me for remembering him.

--Brian Mitchell [super featherweight champ]: We were talking about travel--he was originally from South Africa, left during the apartheid era, and later moved back, but was probably the most-traveled fighter of the modern era since all his fights were thousands of miles from home. He told me that he and his wife and son had traveled over 30 hours in the air to get to the HOF induction ceremonies (plus ground transport on both ends).

--Emile Griffith [multi-division champ]: Super nice guy, though badly brain damaged from a mugging several years ago. If you catch him at the right time he will go on forever about his title fights--he fought more championship rounds than anyone in modern boxing history.

Biggest jerk I ever encountered was Willie Mays. He was at a country club in NY where my parents were members when I was about 8 (it was his year w/the Mets). Wouldn’t even acknowledge a kid’s existence. Big hitter, though...

FUBAR
06-21-2010, 03:51 PM
I was at Sturgis in 1998. I was filming Main st. one night , standing in an empty spot trying to get good footage. With my eye stuck into a camera lens, i didnt see someone cutting it close to me. He came within 6 inches of my lens. Within looking away from my lens, i called the guy a f'in idiot and told him to learn how to drive.

The guy was apologetic and asked me if i could move so he could park. Are you kidding me... i started to decline then i looked up and seen it was Bill Goldberg. He stands about 6ft5 and about 300 lbs of pure steroid, dude is huge!

He actually turned out to be really cool and took some photos and such before a crowd gathered. He apologized again as he left and i had a good memory and still came away with all of my limbs in tact, knowing he could have ripped them right off!

barrysloate
06-21-2010, 03:56 PM
I went to high school with Lyle Alzado...talk about a scary guy! When I saw him in the hallway I ran in the other direction. I was terrified of him. True story.

Steve D
06-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Back in the mid-1980's, I was stationed at Columbus Air Force Base in Columbus Mississippi. Every couple months or so, I'd drive over to Tuscaloosa or Birmingham Alabama to get a taste of a "big city".

One time I did this, I decided to just drive around Tuscaloosa and see some sights. Driving down one street, I saw an older gentleman out for a walk. I immediately recognized him as Joe Sewell. Well, I couldn't pass this up, so I turned my car around and drove up a bit past him and pulled over, stopped the engine and got out of my car. I calmly approached him and introduced myself. He proceeded to talk to me for several minutes about baseball, and particularly Bo Jackson, who had just recently come up to the majors. Mr. Sewell seemed to be really impressed with Jackson and was looking forward to seeing him do great things. After maybe 10-15 minutes, he indicated he needed to be going, so I thanked him, we shook hands, and I got back in my car and drove off.

Steve

steve B
06-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Only two I've met, both when I was a kid.

Bob Feller pitched a home run derby between games of a double header in Pittsfield Ma. He was handing out autographed 81/2x11 pictures in the stands afterward. Many of them ended up as paper planes, some kids tooks bunches of them. When I asked if that bothered him he said "no, they're kids having fun" I ended up sitting with him for an inning or two hearing explanations of what the pitcher was doing. Didn't help my ball playing any, but what fun.

Brooks Robinson was one of the guests at a Sports Illustrated hospitality suite. 3 guests, autographs and plenty of booze to ease the sales pitch trying to get SI into schools. Started at 10, which was a bit late for a 13 year old. When I got to him in line he asked if I wasn't a bit young for the hospitality suite. Then he asked about baseball, and talked to me for a bit.
At one point a guy back in line grumbled about the delay and he said "Hey, I'm talking to the kid about baseball! you'll just have to wait. " So it's a pleasant story for me, and proably one of the few less than great ones about brooks for the guy behind me.

Steve B

JasonL
06-21-2010, 08:16 PM
I guess it all depends on when in their lives you meet them, and what kind of day they're having? ...sounds like Bench is aging badly. I collect Bench and Frank Robinson cards specifically because of the great experiences I had with each one of them at signings...several years ago...too bad how these things can go wrong sometimes.

oldjudge
06-21-2010, 08:38 PM
In the summer of 1987 I took my two sons to a cards show in upstate Connecticut. Whitey Ford was signing at the show but there was literally no one in line for his autograph. I bought a baseball and took the boys over to meet him and get his signature. Since there was no line we chatted a while. He had gone to spring training with the Yankees that year to work with a rookie pitcher named Al Leiter. Whitey told me that Leiter's biggest problem was not throwing first pitch strikes. To cure this he struck a bet with Leiter. Every time Leiter threw a first pitch ball he owed Whitey a beer; every first pitch strike Whitey owed him a beer. Thought this was a great story from one of the greatest clutch pitchers of all time and a real hero of mine when I was growing up.
I used to throw celebrity dinners for my company's clients and had the pleasure of spending time with Mickey Mantle, Jim Brown, Dick Butkus, Roger Staubach, Chuck Bednarik, Randy White, John Riggins, Jim Plunkett, Lynn Swann and Wilt Chamberlain. Mickey was a little quiet till he got a few drinks in him and then he was great. All the others, with the exception of Lynn Swann, were a real pleasure to be around. Staubach was a true gentleman, Brown a remarkable off the cuff speaker, and Butkus exactly the way you would envision him. Wilt was the most outgoing and really the life of the party.

jcmtiger
06-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Not HOF baseball, but,

I moved to Las Vegas in 1996 and that fall a new restaurant was opening on the strip. Several Stars(investors) were there for the opening. I had a couple of baseballs and Tiger Woods was there. This was his 1st year on the tour.

He walked over to the ropes and signed my baseball. I also had a baseball signed by Brook Shields, Ken Griffey JR would not even stop for anyone. Monica Seles was there and a few other stars.

Still have the ball.

Here he is signing the ball.

I have since moved back to Michigan.

Joe

Orioles1954
06-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Frank Robinson= World class butt munch.

Brooks Robinson= One of the greatest experiences I've ever had. He took the high school yearbook I had him sign and started telling me stories about his basketball teammates in Little Rock. After that, we chatted about the Arkansas Razorbacks football team and what we thought of them (we're both Razorbacks fan). Then told me his little brother was on the National Title team in 1964. Gave firm hand shakes, joked and was so down to earth.

bobbvc
06-21-2010, 10:09 PM
On June 18th 1979, me and a friend went to the Sheraton Hotel in San Diego (next to the airport) where the Cardinals were staying. We got a few autographs here and there from some of the players around the hotel. We saw Lou Brock sitting in the hotel restaurant by himself and waited patiently by the door. He saw us and waved us to his table. Me and my friend Jon wished him a happy birthday (it was his 40th) and he asked us to sit down.
He then told the waitress to bring us anything we wanted on his tab. We both ordered a typical breakfast for teenagers (both 14 at the time). He then spent the following hour talking baseball and anything else with us while signing 5 items for me and OVER 40 items for my friend Jon (he went on to become a lawyer FYI, just saying....)
I took my oldest son to a small card shop signing with Lou 30 years later in 2009, and HE Remembered Me! Even introduced me to his wife. I remember him sitting in that hotel restaurant/coffee shop on his 40th and I think he knew then, that was a turning point in his life (not meeting me, I mean turning 40 as a player and knowing it was pretty much over).
I've since read the book October 1964 (the month and year I was born) about the World Series and the changing of American society and race relations and learned a bit more about Lou Brock and gained even more respect for him. Anyway, I wish I had the time and writing talent to do this story justice, but in closing Lou Brock is a class Human Being and a pretty good ballplayer as well. I've met a few other Hofer's and many players but those stories will need to come later.

kmac32
06-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Ernie Banks at cubs camp. A group of us were drinking beer with Ernie in his hotel room at the Dobson Ranch Inn in Mesa Arizona. He asked me who my boss was and i told him my wife was my boss. He had me call her on my cell and he chatted with her for maybe 5 minutes asking her if she was my boss. Afterwards he said that he knew she was the boss before I had called her and told me go go get him a soft drink. He was a little senile but pure class.

Also was at Cubs camp in 2002 and Fergie Jenkins asked if he and his wife could sit with my wife and myself at the week end final awards banquet. Couln't tell a HOF er no on that request.

Have also met Billy Williams through the camp.

All 3 men were pure class in my opinion.

mets41
06-22-2010, 01:36 AM
I had a run-in with Frank Robinson in the mid-80's. I had purchased a partially autographed 1969 Mets team picture. I decided to go thru the card show circut and have all of the pictured players and coaches add their autograph. Also I'd get as many noteables from the Brave and Oriole squads the Mets beat in the post season to sign for as long as space permitted. When I showed the picture to Robinson to autograph, if looks could kill, they'd have to take me out in a body bag and Robinson out in handcuffs.

Buythatcard
06-22-2010, 05:16 AM
First of all, that pic of Bench/Bush that PolarBear posted was hilarious.

Back in the late 80's, I was working in Manhattan. One day, while walking thru midtown, I passed a card store(remember those?). There was a sign out front saying that Mickey Mantle would be signing his book. I decided to go in and take a peek. When I walked in, the store was empty and there in the back was a small table with Mickey Mantle sitting behind it. I couldn't believe that I was the only one there with the great Mickey himself. I bought his book and went over to get it signed. Since I was the only on line at the time, I figured I tried to say something to him. I said to Mickey, is that your World Series ring that you are wearing? He looked at me and said in a mean tone "NO, it's my Hall of Fame ring". That was the end of our conversation. It left a real sour taste in my mouth after that. It bothered me for years until I heard about his drinking problems. I started feeling bad for him and finally forgave him in my heart. I still love Mickey.

Exhibitman
06-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Not baseball but:

I saw Vitali Klitschko in a Whole Foods Market. Kinda hard to miss since he's
6'7" and built like a mountain. He bought a drink and jumped into a waiting SUV idling in the parking lot. I didn't have anything to write with so I couldn't get an autograph.

Speaking of tall, when I was in school in San Francisco I went out on a Friday evening and saw David Robinson in a club in the Marina (I think he was still in the service at the time). He was literally a head and shoulders taller than everyone else in the place and happily dancing by himself.

Even taller, Chuck Nevitt, 7'5". He was the 12th man on a few of the great Lakers Showtime teams, and a fan favorite because if he came in you knew the game was over. I met him on the campus of UCLA one summer when I was using UCLA's jobs center to look for work and he was working out at the campus. I was a sprightly 6' even back then and I remember his leg seemed to reach nearly to my shoulder.

Back in 1979 my parents and I went to see All That Jazz in Westwood (near UCLA). As we were leaving the theater we ran into John Belushi. My father angrily said "Hey, you keep my kid up late at night." Belushi did that shrug thing he used to do and mumbled something in "Samurai".

My wife and I had a week where we could not avoid Michael Chiklis. First we saw him in a local restaurant with his family a few tables from ours. A few days later we saw him at the Aquarium of the Pacific with his kids. Then on Saturday my wife and her sister went to see Mama Mia and he and his wife were sitting right behind them. My wife finally turned around and asked him if he was following her.

Back when my daughter was still a baby my wife and I went to a religious service where we had to sit in the very back because of the baby. Dustin Hoffman and his wife come in and sit down beside us. We wish each other "good yuntiff" which is Yiddish for happy holidays. He then spills a bottle of water and is frantically trying to deal with it. My wife gave him a diaper and I got to watch Dustin Hoffman mopping up with my daughter's diaper. And yes, it was a clean diaper.

mr2686
06-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi guys! I'm usually over on the memorabilia side of the house but thought I'd drop by. A couple of quick stories to show both sides. First off, I am ALWAYS very respectfull when getting an autograph...yes sir, no sir, please and thank you. I've never demanded that a player sign or take a picture...asking politely, but not demanding, etc. Anyway, first big Card/Autograph show I attended back in the 80's...had something like 15 HOF'ers. All of them nice until I got to about the 10th one...Willie Mays. I was such a big Mays fan and he was a complete jerk. I can't remember his exact words but I do know that I just wanted to skip the rest of the players and call it a day...totally deflating. Fortunately I stuck around and the next player was Brooks Robinson...totally the best, nicest, warmest person I could have meet. He talked with everyone for a a minute or two and made everyone feel great.
The other story is Carlton Fisk. I must admit that I was never a Fisk fan. Maybe because he played for the Red Sox (sorry!) but I just always had this opinon of him that I didn't like him. Anyway, I was in Cooperstown a couple of years ago and he was signing autographs. As I was walking up to him he saw my Padres cap and starts talking to me about them. Did I think they would be trading so and so soon, can you believe that their pitching is holding up this well, etc. I mean c'mon, here's a guy that had played in the American league and knew what was going on with the current Padres...he is obviously a baseball fan and was a great guy to talk to. That one 3 min conversation has made me a Carlton Fisk fan for life. A really, really nice guy.

leaflover
06-22-2010, 03:03 PM
It was 1946 when my Dad introduced me to Casey Stengal and Babe Herman. I especially remember, and will never forget, Herman because his hand was as big as my first basemans glove.
My Dad was in the moving business and he got the contract to move the Oakland Oaks equipment from Oakland to the City of San Fernando for spring training.

Exhibitman
06-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Where did they train in San Fernando?

GasHouseGang
06-22-2010, 06:14 PM
That Bench story is amazing. My wife used to work the ticket counter for TWA out in Palm Springs. Bench came through and she really didn't know who he was, but knew he was a baseball player. She got him to sign a TWA ticket jacket for me. I didn't hear anything about him asking for $50 bucks! I guess he figured we wouldn't try to sell it.

David Atkatz
06-22-2010, 06:42 PM
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/datkatz/mminlot-1.jpg

That's Mickey Mantle, putting on his jacket after leaving his car. He's in the player's parking lot, across the street from the Stadium. That door just visible over Mickey's right shoulder is the player's entrance to the Stadium. Notice the iron pipe railings to the right of the door.

OK, let's set the scene. It's late August, 1968, and the Yankees are playing a day game. It's a hot, humid, summer-in-the-city weekday, and my friend Howie and I are bored to tears. So, we decide to walk to the Stadium, about a mile away, wait for the game to end, and get some autographs--you could do that in those days. Mantle had been playing first base, but was pulled in the third to save his legs. We're walking to the Stadium, listening to the game on our transistor radios, when Steve Whitaker--remember him?--homers. I've got a brand-new, snow-white American League baseball with me, and I tell Howie that if I see Whitaker after the game, I'm gonna tell him it's his home run, and have him sign it. (I didn't know back then that game balls are "rubbed up," and are no longer white.)

We get to the Stadium. It's the seventh inning, and absolutely nobody is around the player's entrance. So, I sit down on the iron-pipe railing to the right of the door, my back to the Stadium, facing across 157th Street and the player's lot. Howie takes the same position on the railing to the left of the door. After a few minutes, a guy leaves the Stadium, through the player's door. As he passes me, I can only see him from behind. He's big, blond, wearing a red polo shirt, and the back of his neck is a mile wide. Holy shit--it's Mickey Mantle! By the time I realize who it is, he's across the street, and just entering the parking lot through that door in the chain-link fence you can see above.

I run after him, waving my baseball and pen, screaming "Mickey, Mickey, please--I'll never have this chance again! Please, Mickey,..."

He slams the door in my face, and walks to his car. I run down 157th Street, to the gate where the cars exit and enter, and I'm standing there as he drives out. He stops his car, rolls down his window, takes the ball and pen, and places a beautiful signature on the sweet spot.

I still have that ball, and always will.

Kawika
06-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Great story, David. No price you could ever put on that signed ball.
I used to wait at that very same clubhouse door after every game I attended back in the fifties with my game scorecard to get as many Yankee and visiting team autographs as I could. The Yanks would walk to the curb to be whisked away in a cab or by their wives and we kids would mob them in the thirty seconds or a minute we had. The visiting ALers would generally go off in a bus. When Mantle exited the clubhouse a small brigade of NYPD would form out of nowhere into a modified flying wedge, a cab would materialize at the curb and he would vanish in seconds amidst the kids squealing "Mickey, Mickey". Had all the Yankees but never got Mantle's sig. Wish I could go back to 1957 for a day with a digital camera. Great memories.

Jerry G
06-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Cool story, David. The photo really adds a lot and puts the jealous reader right there at the "scene of the crime."

leaflover
06-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Where did they train in San Fernando?
Exhibitman, The ballfield was located as I recall near Jessie and1st street. It was a cobblestone structure with a covered grandstand.

Exhibitman
06-23-2010, 06:42 AM
There's a public park there now. I'll have to drive by next time I go to court in San Fernando and see if anything is left...

mr2686
06-28-2010, 09:08 AM
One other story, although more of a witnessed story than direct contact, was at a show with Warren Spahn. He had a real long line to get his autograph and it was barely moving. A lot of people were grumbling etc, and once I got about 10 people from him I could see what was going on. He was taking his time and talking to everyone, especially the kids. This one kid was asking him how to properly throw a curve ball, so Warren grabs a ball and starts showing him. Just then, an employee of the show comes over and I could hear him say...Mr. Spahn, the promoter wants me to tell you that we have to hurry up the line a bit. Warren looks over at him and with a booming voice says..."You tell that promoter to go to hell...I'm teaching this kid how to pitch". Everyone in the line was busting up and from then on there was no grumbling...and I have a great memory that will last forever.

BCD
06-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Scott- that's an awful story. Bench is obviously a jerk, asking you for fifty bucks like that.

Barry,that is a sad but nothing compared to the piles of stories I could post here about Mr. Nasty October. I assure you over the years where I live he has made a name for himself.....a bad one at that.

tbob
06-28-2010, 11:49 AM
I guess it's just like people in life, some players are a**holes and some are extremely nice.
I have had the opportunity to meet and talk to Brooks Robinson, Warren Spahn, Ernie Banks, Bob Gibson (!), Lou Brock, Andre Dawson, and others who were all extremely nice and cordial. Gibson was a little intimidating but very pleasant, maybe I caught him on a good day.
I would have to say the best conversation and meeting I ever had was with Enos Slaughter, RIP, who sat in a restaurant booth with my dad and I years ago and signed a ball for us and regaled us with many stories of his career. My dad (86) was a Minneapolis Miller fan and they talked for an hour about guys who played in AAA and Enos' experiences in the minors. He was extremely cordial.
I was very happy when Dawson made the Hall of Fame because not only did he have the numbers but he took time out to talk to my then young daughter at a show and made her day. He is a terrific person and I am very happy for the "Hawk."

slantycouch
06-28-2010, 01:09 PM
David, really enjoyed your story! Glad you still have that ball.

I've posted this elsewhere, but my buddy is a musician and travels a lot. He sent me this story one day after flying out to LA. Cracks me up:

Yesterday, I boarded my Southwest Airlines connecting flight, Dallas to Houston, then on to LA I was unfortunately relegated to the "B 30-60" boarding group, meaning it was highly likely that I would be getting a middle seat. I boarded as B 59 and was looking for the first available overhead bin for my bags when I stepped onto the plane - it happened to be the first seat as I walked on - in the middle. Upon taking my seat and getting situated I realized that I was sitting next to Hall of Famer and greatest lead off man and base stealer ever, Rickey henderson. UNreal. Though my interaction with Rickey was brief, it contained a few of the following bits of information and dialogue which solidified him as one of the best pro athletes ever, OFF the field.....hope you get as much of a laugh out of this as I did........

**When I realized he was Rickey henderson, I simply said, "hey, are you Rickey henderson?" (great opening line) And he said, "yeah man" and then kept looking out the window (he was wearing terminator style sunglasses - the full reflector kind ....on the plane - it was raining outside) and some leather loafers with no socks with a few tasteful gold chains and he is still totally jacked up like a pro athlete.

**I asked him where he was headed and he said "LA" and then proceeded to mumble that he was mad because there was no first class on Southwest and that...."Rickey always flies 1st class". I followed that up by asking him if he was going to try and play again and about his stint with the Newark Bears... he simply said, "Nah man, I'm in the Hall of Fame, I ain't doing that no more". I didn't have much response after that. Meanwhile I was trying to think of a way to get a picture with him without acting like a putz - I didn't get the picture because I think he would have pummeled me if i had asked - the guy just did not look happy -- However.....

**When we landed I handed him one of my CDs (like Rickey henderson would give a damn about my CD), and I said, "I don't know if you are much of a music fan or not, but I wanted you to have one of my new CDs because I have been a big fan of you throughout the years".....at that moment, he took a pen out of his pocket and signed my own CD with HIS name and handed it back to me and walked off the plane without really saying anything else. Let me recap. I gave him my CD then he signed it with HIS name and gave it BACK to me.......CLASSIC - one of the smoothest and best moves ever......RICKEY IS TRULY THE GREATEST.

Exhibitman
06-28-2010, 01:43 PM
"Rickey always flies 1st class"

Classic.

Howe’s Hunter
06-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Every year for my birthday, my parents would take me and a friend to St. Louis to see the Cards play. Usually a Saturday night, stay at the Stouffer's Riverfront Inn (where the visiting team stayed (now the Millenium)), get autographs after the game that night, get up early and then get autographs from the players as they checked out before the afternoon game on Sunday.
In 1974, it was hot as all get out. We drove the two hours in a car with no air-conditioning, and even though it was my gift, I was not in a good mood when we arrived. As I lugged my Mom's suitcase through the lobby, I was run it to by a slender gentleman, wearing a red turtleneck sweater with a huge seashell on the zipper front, white slacks and dark glasses. "Watch were you're going" I grumbled quite loudly. "Sorry, little man." Little man-humph. Then the bell boy comes running over. "You just mouthed of to the greatest base-stealer of all time. That was Lou Brock!" Instantly, I dropped Mom's bag, opened mine and started looking for a card for him to sign. By the time my friend Tad and I found appropriate cards, he was no where to be seen. But the bell boy told us he was going to dinner in the lower level restaurant, and we could catch him there. I yelled over my shoulder "We'll be back, we're after Lou Brock!" When I said that, about ten more kids all started yelling and running after us.
We tracked him down to the lower level, and could see him through the glass, sitting at a table with three others. It was decided I should be the one to ask for the autograph, so me, Tad and about ten other kids approach the table. "Mr. Brock, can we have your autograph?" I ask. He finishes slowly buttering a roll, looks at me and says "Little man, I ought to punch you in the face." then takes a bite of the roll. Instantly, the room clears of all the other kids, leaving only me and Tad, who stuck around, he said, so he could tell my parents exactly what happened when Lou Brock beat me up.
Finishing the bite, he said "Well, now that the others are gone, what did you want me to sign?" He then politely explained that it wasn't nice to disturb a ball player during a meal before a big game, then proceeded to introduce us to the manager, first and third base coaches of the Padres, who were seated at his table, and pointed out Red Schoendienst, who was seated with Dal Maxville at a nearby table.
We were still in the lobby when he had finished his meal. He stopped, told me he hoped I enjoyed the game, then walked across the parking lot, into a covered garage, that lead right to Busch Stadium.

Vol
06-28-2010, 06:49 PM
SlantyCouch- Thank you for the Rickey stories. They never get old! Cracking me up!

Collectorsince62
06-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Curt Flood had always been my favorite player growing up, so when he was scheduled to sign at a card show here in St. Louis, I had to go. As he signed a few items for me, I asked him if that was his '64 or '67 WS ring. I can't even recall his response because as he was talking, he takes off the ring and hands it to me to admire! Amazing. When your idols turn out to be truly worthy of your admiration, it's a pretty cool thing. By the way, prior to sitting down to begin signing, he asked to address the crowd, and proceeded to thank the St. Louis fans for making his career so enjoyable. First class.
One more . . . Recently I went to Stan Musial's office to drop off the two scorecards from his 5-homer doubleheader to get autographed. Stan happened to be there at the time and his grandson asked me to come on in and get them signed right then. Stan was extremely nice and told me with a laugh "I should have had six." The Man.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
06-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Man, do I wish I could share my Rickey experiences with the world at large! What an absolute riot that man is, regardless if he means to be or not!

GasHouseGang
06-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Scooter, I guess Mr. Bench was trying to be nice and give you a deal by only asking for $50 to sign your bat. I knew he was actually a nice guy. Here's a recent price list for an appearance the weekend of 10 July.

Johnny Bench
14 time All-Star
1968 NL ROY
1970 & 1972 NL MVP
10 time Gold Glove Winner
2 time World Series Champion
1976 World Series MVP
HOF 1989
balls and flats up to & including 11x14: $79.
large flats: $99.
equipment: $119.
bats, jerseys & original art: $149.
inscriptions: $25.

Cooptown
07-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Sorry to resurrect this post from the dead, but a couple of stories I thought I could share.

In the early 90s, I was a real autograph "hound" in minor league stadiums, and attended every baseball HOF induction ceremony from 1987-99. I was a know it all kid, who had balls of steel going up to athletes, and never really got intimidated or starstruck. As many people who have been to HOF Induction Weekend can attest, the golf course is a good place to try and score some free autographs. In 1991 I was walking back from the golf course and thought to myself "I wonder if any HOFers ever play tennis?" So I walked past the tennis courts. To my surprise, Ted Williams was sitting on a bench watching some people play tennis. I just happened to have this 8x10 with me. I am not even sure if I even said anything to him, I was so nervous. To this day, I really think it was the only time I have ever been starstruck by anyone.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/BonaCuse/Autographs-HOFers/PICT0027.jpg

In 1996 (I think), I was walking down Main Street in Cooperstown, when I hear a car honking. I look over, and it's Phil Rizzutto driving, and his wife in the passenger seat. He's honking because I am carrying a Phil Rizzutto lithograph, and he's giving me a thumbs up. I was pretty excited about this, and I never even thought about going over to the car to see if he would sign it (DUH!). Now I HAD to get this lithograph signed, just because of the story behind it, so I paid to have Scooter sign it the next year in Cooperstown.

On the flip side....In 1995 (I think) I see Reggie Jackson walking down Main Street of Cooperstown. Just a backstory, Reggie was my favorite player growing up. Although I was young, I would always tell my Dad to tell me when he was going to be at bat for the Yankees because I wanted to watch him bat. I still remember telling my Dad that one spring, and he said "Scott, Reggie doesn't play for the Yankees anymore". Anyways, Reggie was all alone, and no one seemed to recognize him or be bothering him. I went up to him with a Perez Steele postcard and asked him to sign it. Instead of signing it, he informed me of when, where and the pricing for all of the paid signings he would be doing that weekend. It probably took him 10x longer to explain all of that to me than to just sign my postcard. Stupidly, I actually paid for him to sign it....when I look at it now I am still bitter about that. Although I did get a bunch of Reggie items signed at Cooperstown in the mid90s and got free inscriptions at the time such as "HOF 93" and "Mr. October" without paying.

Lastly, I was on a plane one time with Scotty Bowman and got my picture taken with him on the way in. Seemed very friendly, but in the picture he doesnt look happy at all. I was with a buddy who wanted an autograph, and he asked me for one of my business cards. Scotty Bowman signed one of my business cards for this guy.

David W
07-21-2010, 02:20 PM
In 2005 I was tipped off by a customer that Muhammad Ali would be at a local sports complex for his son's baseball tourney. They said if you see a big motor home, it's probably Ali.

I dug out a bunch of old Sports Illustrateds and had them there, as my kids were all playing soccer at the complex. My wife saw the motor home come in, grabbed my oldest daughter and went to the motor home, where they let her in and he signed 3 SI's. He was very gracious and all that weekend he posed for pictures and signed autographs I was told, but only when his son was not playing.

Nap Rucker - The Southpaw
07-21-2010, 07:28 PM
That story about Mr. Bench is interesting. My wife, who knows nothing about baseball, and I watched his interview on the Tim McCarver Show. She told me that he [Mr. Bench] seemed really cocky and arrogant.

I have met several hockey HOF guys and they were, for the most part, really nice.

albrshbr
07-21-2010, 08:57 PM
I met Bob Feller several times when the Buffalo Bisons were an Indians AA team. It was always great to see him, and he has always been a pleasure to talk to. Maybe I'll get lucky and run across him in Cooperstown this weekend.

When I lived in San Antonio, I ran across David Robinson a few times in our local grocery store. It seems that everyone you talk to in San Antonio has met Robinson at least once, and everyone is impressed with how nice and down-to-earth he is.

At the Football HOF Induction Ceremony last year I seemed to constantly run across James Lofton. Everywhere I went he was there signing for anyone who approached him. With both Bruce Smith and Ralph Wilson being inducted, there was a very large Buffalo Bills fan crowd present. There were also many current and former Bills there, and many went out of their way to sign for the fans. One notable exception was Andre Reed who went out of his way to ignore the fans. I saw him several times, always with a phone up to his ear, and he had the largest "security detail" with him that I saw. He had more than any of the actual HOFers.

My uncle worked for the Buffalo Sabres, and I've met quite a few. I'll agree with what others have already, and hockey players are generally the nicest to meet. One big exception was Sabre great Gilbert Perreault. Always a jerk. Of course this was over 20 years ago, and I've talked to some folks who have met him in local establishments recently, and he seems to have mellowed quite a bit since his retirement.

cubsfn01
07-21-2010, 11:32 PM
When i was a senior in high school in 1996, I was the editor of my HS newspaper, and we found out that a local lawyer had organized a fundraiser for a former NFL player from the area who had been ill. I met with the lawyer for a story and he gave me a pass to go backstage and meet everyone. At the time I did not know much about NFL history, but i was excited anyway. I met Johnny Unitas, who i had hear of, but didn't know much about, and Coach Weeb Ewbank, who i thought was older than dirt (remember I was 17). I then got my picture taken with two big Defensive linemen who I had never heard of, Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen. The funny thing about the photo was the two hofers (who looked huge) with MY skinny self in the middle, wearing a Cincinnati Reds shirt. Had I known then what I know now, I would have had a million questions.

t213
07-22-2010, 05:20 AM
I once witnessed Frank Robinson blow off a little kid at Camden Yards -- "I get paid when I sign" and he stomped off.

On the plus side, in the mid 80s Lyle Alzado lived in my town and he used to come into the Pet Store where I worked. He was always very cool. One time I spent over an hour with him talking about parrots. Very nice man and he always had his wife and kids with him each time we met. He also always wore a muscle t-shirt and I've never seen anyone so big up close.

Other nice guys I've met:
NHL: Mike Knuble, Matt Bradley, Marcel Dionne, Jason Chimera
Baseball: Brooks Robinson, Frank Howard (if you get in line for his auto, be prepared to wait because he talks to everyone, poses for pics and it's easy to get him telling stories from his playing days)
NFL: Henry Ellard
TV: Mr. T (A little kid (maybe 6 years old) came up to him at the baggage carousel at LAX in the late 80s - he had the gold chains and mohawk. The kid said "Mr. T, when I see a bad guy, I'm going to bop him on the head." Mr. T replied "Hey little man, Mr. T doesn't want you to do that. If you see a bad guy, you come find Mr. T and Mr. T will take care of him." The kid responded with "Alright!" or something like that and Mr. T patted him on the shoulder. Mr. T made that kid's year.

Bruce Willis once very politely and friendly asked me if he could cut in line in a shopping mall bathroom when he was filming a Moonlighting episode. He looked like he was 2 seconds from dying so I said yes.

Andy

FUBAR
07-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Jason Chimera is an arrogant ass in my opinion.. almost kicked the crap out of him in his first year. Jason grew up in the hood i used to live in. The company i worked for had a hockey team and i used to keep my goalie equipment at the shop to dry out rather then my apartment. Jason was friends with the owners sons and the whole gang of them used to play road hockey in our shop yard.

I show up on a Saturday to our shop and there is Chimera wearing my goalie equipment out on the street, playing road hockey. Now i am not one to start trouble but using 5 k worth of high end goalie equipment is not something you do. I asked him to take it off and put it back. He told me to go F- myself because he was using it. I walked over to him and I am quite a bit bigger then he is and then insisted he remove it or i would! He said he would put it back when he was done with it. He then said he could buy and sell me if he wanted... If it wasn't for our mutual friends, the Oilers would have had one dead little mouth piece in goalie gear. Arrogant little p.o.s thought he was something special cause he played for the Oilers, i could care less.

Now i am not too much of an ass, i had given these kids my old set of goalie gear to use months before for their road hockey but Chimera thought he was above the old equipment.

He/ they ended up having to buy me a new stick cause they frayed the bottom of mine....

On the upside, all of the other Oiler players i met over time have been great... Grant Fuhr was the nicest guy ever and sat and talked with me for about an hour. He auto'd all my old equipment(wish i still had it) His auto looks like it says Great F**k....

Orions father
07-22-2010, 09:49 PM
My very first and most memorable to me was meeting Muhammad Ali as a young kid in the late 70's. My father is a big time boxing fan. He was a Golden Gloves referee and always went to the big fights in Vegas. Muhammad Ali in my house was like Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle in most others. It was 1979 or 1980 and my mom, sister and I were staying in San Diego for the weekend. We went down one morning for breakfast at the motels restaurant. After a few minutes my mom told me to look two tables over, there was The Champ. He was eating breakfast with 3 other people. My mom took us over to his table to get an autograph. After we got to his table, he looked at my and said "Do you want to box kid?" It was a mixture of fear and jubilation to the young me. I didnt wash my hand for a week after calming down and shaking his hand. Altough the napkin which I got his auto on has been destroyed from showing it off and keeping in my drawer, the memory will always stay. Looking back, he could have not been nicer. We interupted his meal and he was nothing but a class act.