PDA

View Full Version : Websites: Positive or negative influence on acquiring new items for your collection?

Vintagecatcher
06-20-2010, 04:45 PM
I figured that this might make for an interesting poll question:

Does having a website help you add items to your collection or can having a website have the reverse result?

After having a website for a few years now, I often wonder whether displaying part of my collection on a website has benefited me with regards to acquiring new items or whether, in fact, it may have had a negative impact.

I know of one instance where a lurker checked out my site, and then offered to trade me a card. I also know of several individuals that decided to start collecting a player after they visited my website and saw a wide range of type cards that a partricular player had available.

Poll question: Websites: Are web sites beneficial for building a collection?

Yes...Having a website of your collection will be invaluable to building your collection.

No...Having a website of your collection can have a negative impact on building your collection.

Thanks,

Patrick

ChrisStufflestreet
06-20-2010, 05:23 PM
I built my website beginning in 2000 specifically because of what I saw on eBay and elsewhere on the Web. eBay sellers often claimed stuff was rare when it wasn't, other sellers had no idea of what they were offering...and some of the websites I came across were just wrong. So, I decided to build a site describing older cards...and without following up my words with a sales pitch.

To answer your question, my website has indirectly led to me adding to my collection because I have placed a wantlist there. I also have gotten emails from people wanting to buy my cards because they found my site, saw the checklists and just assumed I was implying that I was selling those cards. And occasionally, my simple "sorry, I'm not a seller" explanation has led to some grief.

So my answer is yes and no.