PDA

View Full Version : Mears Bulletin Board Question

John V
06-19-2010, 12:03 PM
I have a curious question for those of you familiar with how the Mears bulletin board works.
Yesterday I searched on "Zinn Beck" and enjoyed several posts from 3 to 5 years ago regarding Zinn Beck bats. I saw this post:

wagner zinn beck
August 4 2006 at 2:56 PM
One final note on this style Zinn Beck bat. On page 70 of Steven Wongs book "Smithsonian Baseball", there is a picture of Ruth kissing one of his bats along with six bats between his knees. One of the bats is plainly visible and it is a Zinn Beck oval logo model 100 with Bob Muesel Model stamped on the barrel identical to the Wagner model. The photo is dated Sept. 29, 1926 hence, we know that this model bat was used in the major leagues at least in 1926. How much earlier this model 100 circle logo bat appeared is unknown. Since Wagner's last season in the major leagues as a player was 1917, the Zinn Beck in question is at least a coaches era hand turned model. Could it date back to 1917, Wagner's last season? All we can do is keep searching. David Bushing

Having done a fair amount of research on Zinn Beck, I posted the following, or something very close to it.

Jun 18, 2010 9:31 AM
Dave & others, This may be well known at this point. If not, here goes anyway...In January 1922, Zinn Beck and two partners applied for their charter of Beck Manufacturing Co. to be located in Columbia, SC. Diamond Ace bats made in Columbia had an oval label. The oval label was also used on bats made in Greenville when Zinn Beck moved the operation there in 1923, when he managed the Greenville team.

So as we all like to do, I checked a few times yesterday to see if there were any responses. No responses. Today, I noticed my post was gone. When I did a search, I found a portion of my comment. When I clicked to open it, it responded with:

No such message

Can someone explain this to me?

ChrisGalbreath
06-19-2010, 12:32 PM
John V -

Is this one of the bats in your collection these days? I hope that all is going well and would love to see some more pictures of your collection. Good Luck with your research today. I picked up a few signed 3x5 cards of Zinn Beck and will send you one if you email your address to me (and care to have one).

Take Care and Happy Collecting

Chris

ksfarmboy
06-19-2010, 04:31 PM
John, did you post your full name and email? These are required if I remember correctly or they will delete your post.

Leon
06-19-2010, 05:04 PM
John, did you post your full name and email? These are required if I remember correctly or they will delete your post.

Not sure if you are referring to this board but that is not the case here. Only if you get into a heated debate, or accusation type post, do you need to not remain private. In those kinds of threads the majority of the board feels you should not remain anonymous (publicly). I concur with that sentiment. Not sure about any other boards but that is the situation here, as it has been for at least the last 5 yrs. MEARS might have different policies on their board, I don't know.

John V
06-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Although registered, I did not post my full name, etc. Maybe that is the reason for deletion.

Chris,
Thanks for the offer on the ZB autograph. I already have a couple. Yes, I still have the bat manufactured in Columbia.

If anyone else has a Beck bat made in Columbia, I would love to see photos.
John

MGHPro
06-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Not made in Columbia, but Wagner..
Matt
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/mghproductions/wagnerzinn002.jpg http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/mghproductions/wagnerzinn003.jpg

ksfarmboy
06-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Yep Leon, I was talking about Mears. We're pretty relaxed here. :)

John V
06-20-2010, 05:34 AM
I thought I was providing some useful info on the history of ZB bats. Maybe I should repost without being anonymous.