PDA

View Full Version : O/T: Funny Tommy Lasorda meeting

scooter729
06-19-2010, 07:19 AM
I needed to share a funny encounter last night with you guys...

I was going to the Red Sox / Dodgers game last night at Fenway; big buzz around the park for Manny's return to town.

I was in a bar right across the street from the park (Boston Beer Works, for those who know the area), and had just stepped out to go over into the game. It was about 6:45, so it was crowded around the area. A cab pulled up right where we were waiting to cross the street, and an older gentleman stepped out. I immediately recognized that it was Tommy Lasorda, and told my group (my wife, and a friend of mine and his wife.) My friend - who was a few beers into the evening - immediately said, "Hi Mr. Lasorda, it's a pleasure to meet you! Can I just shake your hand?"

Tommy was great, turned and said, "Sure young man, what's your name?" My friend said, "I'm Jon, and this is my friend Scott."

Lasorda shook my hand, looked at my wife and said, "And Scott, is this your girlfriend?" I said, "No sir, this is my wife Pam."

In true Lasorda form, he shakes her hand and says, "Pam, where did you meet him, at the Braille Institute? You're WAY too good looking for him!"

And with that, Lasorda walked away, virtually unnoticed, and into the game. We were left laughing for the rest of the game.

CLASSIC Lasorda - I couldn't have enjoyed being insulted more than I was by him! I just wish I had a camera to capture the moment!

Leon
06-19-2010, 07:59 AM
Nice chuckle on a Saturday morning, Scott. Thanks for sharing.....

Tedw9
06-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Awesome story! Thanks for the laugh to start my day.

byrone
06-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Lasorda shook my hand, looked at my wife and said, "And Scott, is this your girlfriend?" I said, "No sir, this is my wife Pam."

In true Lasorda form, he shakes her hand and says, "Pam, where did you meet him, at the Braille Institute? You're WAY too good looking for him!"

I'm always envious of people who can get away with stuff like that...very smooth

FrankWakefield
06-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Great story! Thanks for sharing. But 'insulted'? I'm just guessing, but I gotta figure Pam's a 9 and you're a 5 or a 6, like most of us here... TL mighta got that one right.

whitehse
06-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Great story that reminds me of one of my own.

When I worked for the Cubs in the early to mid 80's I had the chance to meet and work with Mr. Lasorda many times. The Dodgers would ALWAYS order Chicago style pizza for the after team meal and would give the large amount of leftovers to the workers to eat after the team was done

One one occasion Lasorda was going to have a photo shoot after the game for his new book he had coming out. IT was me, the photographer and Lasorda in the visiting dugout for 2 hours after the game. That man had the most foul mouth I have ever heard but at the same time one of the nicest men you would ever want to meet!! Great guy but a mouth on him like a truck driver as my dad would say!!

scooter729
06-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Rob D.
06-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Great story that reminds me of one of my own.

When I worked for the Cubs in the early to mid 80's I had the chance to meet and work with Mr. Lasorda many times. The Dodgers would ALWAYS order Chicago style pizza for the after team meal and would give the large amount of leftovers to the workers to eat after the team was done

One one occasion Lasorda was going to have a photo shoot after the game for his new book he had coming out. IT was me, the photographer and Lasorda in the visiting dugout for 2 hours after the game. That man had the most foul mouth I have ever heard but at the same time one of the nicest men you would ever want to meet!! Great guy but a mouth on him like a truck driver as my dad would say!!

Bob Humphreys, who had a decent run in the big leagues in the 1960s, was an instructor/coach in the Brewers minor league system. He used to often say that if you removed all the curse words from the English language, most ballplayers would be mutes.

chaddurbin
06-20-2010, 11:21 PM
He used to often say that if you removed all the curse words from the English language, most ballplayers would be mutes.

yet more proof u were no ballplayer.

53Browns
06-21-2010, 06:39 AM
I've heard Lasorda is quite the character. I've never met him but I do have an interesting collector's piece. I have a photo of him face to face with a NL umpire. He was giving the ump the old riot act. I mean he was raging on this guy. I sent it to the ump (can't remember his name right now) and the ump signed it and sent it back. Then I sent it to Lasorda. He autographed it also and addeds the inscription, "Be happy!". If I had a scanner I would show a pic.

timzcardz
06-21-2010, 06:53 AM
For a couple of years I went to the induction ceremonies of the Ted Wiliams Museum, when it was still in Hernado, FL. Lasorda was the MC for these and it was a truly a treat to see and listen to him up there. The man is absolutely hysterical.

brett
06-21-2010, 08:24 AM
That man had the most foul mouth I have ever heard but at the same time one of the nicest men you would ever want to meet!! Great guy but a mouth on him like a truck driver as my dad would say!!

Tommy Lasorda would NEVER say a foul word... Except here (make sure you all listen)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZMDsE7t_EE

Or here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjWQF1oP2M&feature=related

...and for good measure here's some Earl Weaver for ya...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YKxf3OkpJc&feature=related

sox1903wschamp
06-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Sorry to bump this to the first page but I just read this thread and had to chime in as I was at the game last Friday for my annual pilgrimage to Fenway. See ticket stub as I am still a kid at heart puttting the score and jacks for the Sox on the stub :).

Anyway, I did run into Tommy as he was leaving the game from his seat behind the Dodger dugout around the 7th inning. It was in the ramp leading out of the stands and I said hello and how are you to Tommy and he said "good kid". Now I am 49 years old so I felt young for a moment :)

scooter729
06-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Good stuff, Michael - I was sitting just a bit further out towards left field from you!

Gary Dunaier
07-12-2010, 08:14 AM
My friend - who was a few beers into the evening - immediately said, "Hi Mr. Lasorda, it's a pleasure to meet you! Can I just shake your hand?"

You should have asked him if his feelings have changed regarding Dave Kingman's (http://legendsrevealed.com/sports/2009/05/22/opinions-vary-on-kingmans-performance/comment-page-1/#comment-8067) performance ...

...and for good measure here's some Earl Weaver for ya...

Classic piece, chock full of boffo laffs. But for those of you who may not know, the whole thing was a goof (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-sp.maese23may23,0,2772232.column) that never went over the air... so I guess we'll never know if Alice Sweet would have taken Mr. Weaver's advice. :eek: