PDA

View Full Version : PSA-graded P2 pins

Rob D.
06-18-2010, 03:15 PM
I recently bought a P2 pin graded by PSA. It's the second one I purchased in the past six months. I returned the first one because it just seemed like the face of the pin looked "flat" inside the holder. Now, as I hold this one side by side with an ungraded example, I'm starting to have the same concern. I own only three other graded P2 pins, and those appear fine. I don't want to remove the one I'm worried about from its holder to examine it, so I thought I'd ask whether anyone has seen evidence of the condition of P2s being compromised when holdered by PSA.

Maybe I'm seeing things, or perhaps it's just sort of an optical illusion. Or maybe PSA experienced a stretch when its process of slabbing these pins left a little to be desired (I've seen PX7 disks in PSA holders that looked like they were forced into place). I'm not sure what to make of this and am seeking opinions.

Thanks.

(Edited to add: Happy Father's Day to all the dads on the board.)

glynparson
06-18-2010, 05:07 PM
there coin/disc grading is very inconsistenet. I tend to think the card grading has been rather consistent for a number of years now, contrary to the opinion of some, but you never know what grade a disc or coin is going to get.

nolemmings
06-18-2010, 08:05 PM
I've cracked open a px7 disk, and can tell you that there is a flexible rubber gasket that holds it in place. You're right about how they get placed in there rather crooked, but the rubber wouldn't hurt the disk. While I suppose the front could get scratched if rubbed against the inside plastic, the rim protects the disk's surface--whether that's true on the pins I don't know.

And yes, grading on the disks has become a flat-out joke.

docpatlv
06-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Rob,

I've mentioned before, but I have a PX7 that I am almost 100% positive the metal rim was warped from being slabbed. I did not break the disc out, but just looking at it, it seems as thought the disc was "forced" into the gasket. I have other graded discs that don't exhibit this feature.

This is the main reason I have not submitted any discs for grading and probably won't until they come up with a different gasket.

I have some PSA graded P2's, but I have not noticed the same thing with those, although the way the gasket fits around the pin, it makes them appear slightly smaller.

Mike

ethicsprof
06-21-2010, 12:56 AM
i decided some time back to have my P2's framed and not deal with the
grading/slabbing.
they do look great this way, Rob.

best,
barry

Sixtofan
06-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Barry,
Do you have a picture, I have been thinking about framing mine but have wondered how it would look. I have no actual imagination!

ethicsprof
06-21-2010, 09:42 PM
I still don't know how to scan even after being on this board for 'round 6 years or so.
Don't feel bad about not having the imagination. My framer and my wife are the aesthetic geniuses!
Let me give you an idea of what was done and see if that helps.
Because i wanted to show both sides of the pin, the frame has 2 non-glare glasses The frame is black with a red mat filling the frame except for the square cut out of the mat for the pin and the square cut out for the S74 silk. Both the pin and silk are of Byrne The framer uses a styrofoam substance to
hold/frame the pin within the square between the 2 glasses. All of my T206 era cigarette packs were framed this way and it works fabulously.
Good luck and happy framing.
best,
barry