PDA

View Full Version : T210 Series 6 & more

Bill Stone
06-18-2010, 02:02 PM
In 1969 Leonard Bresch donated his collection of 356 tobacco cards to the University of Louisville Art Library. In 2009 they were made available in digital form at http://digital.library.louisville.edu/collections/cards/. The interesting thing is there are approximately 32 T210 Series 6 cards including 2 Stengels. I always enjoy finding these small collections in local libraries. Please post other you may know about.

FrankWakefield
06-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Second, that's a great site, Bill, thanks for posting...

First, they seem to have an Angermeier fielding card. I lack that card. I covet that card. It isn't likely that anyone manages to buy that card from the Library, so that's one Angermeier fielding that I won't be able to acquire.

Now I'm a bit troubled about their scanning... card #74 of Hunter can't have a series 6 back. Same for #110 Moye and #115 Ochs; someone has been lazy with the scanning. Ochs is series 5, Moye is series 4, and Hunter is series 4. There may well be other similar oversights, those are the ones that lept out at me.

Card #9 depicts Marion L. Kimbrough, second baseman for the Lexington Colts. I'll try to email them and let them know.

Bill, see if you can find an acquirable Angermeier fielding somewhere, that would be something to post.

Bill Stone
06-18-2010, 05:11 PM
I have notified them that several of the backs were wrong --they scanned a Series 6 when it should have been a Series 1 . I agree this sometimes just reminds us of the cards that are off the market!

alanu
06-18-2010, 06:15 PM
This would be a great post for the main board.

cfc1909
06-18-2010, 06:50 PM
just made a quick run through and spotted Loos-has a scan of series 6 back-this is a series 2 card.

Woolums is the same way-series 6 scan and this is a series 2 card.

oldjudge
06-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Bill--This only confirms my experience, that Stengel is one of the most common Series 6 cards

Bill Stone
06-23-2010, 05:17 PM
I understand the problem with the backs has now been corrected --thanks Frank.

TT40391
06-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks for posting this great site. Frank I really hope you find that pesky card that has been dodging you. I recently decided to focus on my hometown team of winchester from the series 6 set, and richmond. I do not have any richmond players and I have one winchester player so far. that one winchester card however just happens to be the Fred Toney which is the card I wanted the most from the set to begin with so that was very exciting for me. If anyone knows of a bunch of winchester players avaliable for sale please do let me know.

William

TT40391
06-23-2010, 07:46 PM
I almost forgot the reason for the post in the first place so let me apologize. I know that the Unviersity of Kentucky has I think 4 T210 series 6's but I do not know if they are online or not. They also have a Casey Stengel in their collection. I have to second the opinion listed above about the Stengel's rarity in the Series 6 set. I have seen at least 3 Casey Stengels in Library collections and one in a private collection. Not to mention the fact that I have seen at least a handfull sell at major auctions over the last few years. I really think there are cards that are much harder to find in series 6 than Stengel. But I must also remember that all the cards in series 6 seem to have low survival numbers compared to some other sets if I remember correctly. As far as the lousivlle collection, thanks for posting this link because I am definetly gawking at all those lovely wincheter players that make up that collection.

autograf
06-24-2010, 09:26 AM
University of Louisville archives has the second most baseball photos of any place other than the Baseball Hall of Fame. The Louisville Slugger archives were donated to the library years ago. They also have a number of OJ cabinets, Joseph Hall of Louisville and some other great cabinet type photos.