PDA

View Full Version : Nationals at Chicago 3 of the next 5 years?

timber63401
06-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Well after getting feedback for me choosing between the HOF and the Nationals Ive decided on the Nationals next year. It shows on their site being in Chicago something like 3 of the next 5 years which is good for me but just wondering if there is a reason for this instead of moving it around more?

quinnsryche
06-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Chicago is centrally located, has a large convention facility right next to the biggest, busiest airport in the US and is historically one of the best attended of all the National sites. Nothing west of Chicago is large enough (and too hot in August) and the dealers have proven they don't want to travel all the way to California (too far, too expensive). Chicago has just proven to be the best of what's available on a egular basis.

Rich Klein
06-17-2010, 06:20 PM
I have posted; and although I personally loved the idea of the traevling National that the National should anchor in Chicago for the rest of the existence of the show.

The post above me tells the reason why.

Regards
Rich

ChiefBenderForever
06-17-2010, 07:33 PM
I think it should be in a different city every year. Chicago already has a couple big shows each year.

Jewish-collector
06-18-2010, 06:05 AM
Great decision Timber63401 !!! Let's have a couple cold beers in Chicago one night !!!

insidethewrapper
06-19-2010, 01:29 PM
When is the next big show in Chicago ? Any this summer ? Website ? Thanks Mike

effe
06-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Next show in Chicago...
http://www.mountedmemoriesshows.com/shop.aspx?flag=Category&criteria=1293

ichieh
06-19-2010, 10:17 PM
i remember in the 80's, one year (can't remember exactly when) it took place in Anaheim, California and the attendance was through the roof. I agree that the National should try to move around city to attract regional interest.

Steve D
06-19-2010, 11:06 PM
I still say the National should be held in Dallas once in a while, but unfortunately, no one wants to come to Texas in August :(

Bunch of wimps if you ask me!

;)
Steve

Bilko G
06-19-2010, 11:32 PM
i remember in the 80's, one year (can't remember exactly when) it took place in Anaheim, California and the attendance was through the roof. I agree that the National should try to move around city to attract regional interest.

I believe 1990 was the year in Anaheim that you are refering to and that was the year of the big Baseball card explosion. It would have been busy wherever it was held that year. More recently it was held in 06' in Anaheim and many of the big dealers complained of the traveling.

Rich Klein
06-20-2010, 05:19 AM
That was the "riot" was 1991; that show *WAS* the pinnacle of the bb card hobby with a lot of help from the promo cards going out that year.

We had the Naitional here in the DFW area in 1986 and 1990. The show has outgrown the Arlington Convention Center and I believe the only places big enough to hold the show here is Market Hall or the Dallas Convention Center in Dallas. I have not researched just how big that is.

I know some of us: Leon, myself, Scott B, etc. would be very happy not to travel for a show,...but I don't think we'll be seeing a Natiional in the South for a long time

Rich

quinnsryche
06-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Next show in Chicago...
http://www.mountedmemoriesshows.com/shop.aspx?flag=Category&criteria=1293

There are 3 big shows in Chicago every year. All sponsored by the same co. (Mounted Memories). One in April, 1 in July and 1 in Nov. April is the best, then Nov. The Fans Edge one in July is AWFUL. I live an hour away and I won't even go. Complete waste of time and money in my opinion.

prestigecollectibles
06-20-2010, 09:01 AM
I find it difficult to meet new customers having the show in Cleveland and Chicago every other year. We need to try new locations like Baltimore this year.

timber63401
06-20-2010, 10:14 AM
I find it difficult to meet new customers having the show in Cleveland and Chicago every other year. We need to try new locations like Baltimore this year.

I say lets have a hell of a weekend. Put it in Vegas.

teetwoohsix
06-20-2010, 10:18 AM
I doubt it will ever happen, but it would be nice to see it come to Las Vegas at least once.

Clayton

buymycards
06-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Vegas would be perfect. Sign me up!

Rick

bbcard1
06-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Baltimore/DC is easy enough to get to. I think Cincy could do a show justice based on Moeller, which is close to the old days at times. Vegas would be terrific. Chicage is fine now and again. My favorite national was Houston.

Jewish-collector
06-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Depending on how the Baltimore National goes this year will determine if there will be any additional east coast cities discussed for upcoming nationals in the near future.