PDA

View Full Version : George Wilson Integrated Ball 1907

Jason19th
06-17-2010, 02:01 PM
I picked up this postcard a while back, but was able to do some research recently that seems to make it a much more significant item. The postcard is a real photo postcard of the Manitowoc WI semi-pro team of 1907. The team played in the Lake Shore League. As you can see one of the players is black. Some research indicates that the player was George Wilson, a well known player who had pitched with the Page Fence Giants and whom Sol White stated in his 1907 book was one of the best black pitchers of the era. I was able to find microfilm of a local paper covering the team and was struck by two issue (1) there was little made of a black player staring for a small town team in rural Wisconsin and (2) his dominance, the game reports indicate that he was basically pitching ever game and giving up about 3 hits per nine innings. It seems odd that such little is made of such early integrated ball. Has anyone else heard anything regarding the player, team or any other early integrated teams

ramram
06-17-2010, 09:06 PM
I previously had an image of this same Manitowac team with George Wilson. I believe it was also 1907 but it was a studio setting. Sure like your outdoor stadium image though.

In the north it apparently wasn't all that uncommon. I just picked up a 1933 scorebook of a black team. There are some old newspaper articles in it and one of them talks about how one of their pitchers (Nip Winters) had just been released by this black team and then signed with an all-white team. He was scheduled to pitch his first game which was to be against his former black team. The black team also played in an otherwise all-white league. These teams and players were still a novelty but seemed to be somewhat accepted in the north.

Rob M.

Jason19th
06-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Rob

where do you keep finding these scorebooks-- If I remember correctly you also have a score book with a number of homestead grays games-- would love to see some scans

Jason

ramram
06-17-2010, 09:32 PM
I've been meaning to get something posted on the Pick Up thread but haven't got around to it. Will try soon.

I have an 1904 scorebook with some games against the Cuban Giants (its currently down at the Negro League museum but trying to get it back) and also an 1895 scorebook that has 3 games against the Cuban Giants, including Frank Grant. Also a 1920's to 1940's scorebook with some games against the Homestead Grays and Havana Red Sox (and one game of the Homestead Grays vs. the Baltimore Black Sox). Another 1930's with games against the Memphis Red Sox, K.C. Monarchs, Jacksonville Red Caps, St. Louis Giants. And lastly, a 1933 scorebook of Chappie Johnson's Chappies team (mentioned in my previous post). They were playing in an all-white league that year. He had several players that were past their prime on the team (i.e. Nip Winters, George Cheatham, Louis Santop) but still was a pretty big draw back in the upstate New York area.

Rob M.

ramram
06-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Here's a look at the Manitowac image that I used to have:

Rob M.

ramram
06-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Here's a shot of the Chappie's scorebook and the article about Winters playing for a white team.

Rob M.