PDA

View Full Version : Buy it Now vs auctions on eBay

Brian Van Horn
06-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Just for a matter of comparison at 9:40 a.m. EST I looked at the totals of all items on the pre-1942 baseball cards section (30,559) versus auctions only (2162). Let's throw these ideas out for discussion: Is it the economy, the direction of cards for the long term future of the hobby or is it both?

Personally, if the auctions stay at such a low rate, I think it's a very bad sign for the viability of collecting.

Let's hear your opinions.

barrysloate
06-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Most sellers are afraid to take the risk of letting cards go at whatever the market will bear. I am one of the few who still do, but my mixed results may put an end to it. Many dealers have inventory they purchased before the economy tanked. So they are almost certainly looking at losses if they don't start at least at cost or a little higher.

I agree it's not a good thing but it's a sign of the times.

Robextend
06-17-2010, 08:02 AM
As a testament to that, I have been setting snipes at sometimes 60% of VCP and winning with pretty decent regularity.

glynparson
06-17-2010, 08:10 AM
I generally sell enough out of my store, when I have it well stocked, that taking the chance with the auctions makes no sense to me. There was also a lot of collecting before ebay ever came around so the idea that this somehow hurts collecting seems odd to me. Yes you may not always be able to get somethings at give away prices but that seems to be the general direction. It's sort of like the walmart thing we keep worrying about always getting something at the cheapest possible price and we end up with less variety to choose from.

Leon
06-17-2010, 08:13 AM
If anyone bought cards 2-4 yrs ago and are selling them now, and they aren't super scarce (rare) or in high demand, they are fetching a fraction of what they were. It's just the way it is. I have one very good friend/dealer who has quite a bit of inventory and he would be glad to get 50% of what he paid for it. NO harm in protecting yourself with higher starting bids or reserves. The hobby, like the rest of the country, is down quite a bit... If the country was booming and the hobby was sucking, then I would be more worried for it.

barrysloate
06-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Glyn makes a good point that the hobby can survive without everything being auctioned. To clarify my point of why I don't think it's a good thing is there was a time a few years ago when you could put a card up for auction, start it at a penny, and still be certain you would achieve a great price.

Because of the current market conditions, you can't do that anymore with full confidence. So it's the state of the market which is causing the no reserve auction format to disappear.

hunterdutchess
06-17-2010, 08:24 AM
As a testament to that, I have been setting snipes at sometimes 60% of VCP and winning with pretty decent regularity.

How do you set a snipe?

Robextend
06-17-2010, 08:51 AM
There are many sites out there, but I use Gavelsnipe: www.gavelsnipe.com

Basically, you can set up a max amt you want to spend on the card, and seconds before the auction ends the bid will be placed. Check out the site.

quinnsryche
06-17-2010, 08:54 AM
I agree with Barry's assessment, because speaking from experience, if I need a certain amount out of a card, I can't take the chance of auctioning it off with a low minimum and getting killed. I know people here don't seem to like the non-auction ebay sales but you have to do what's best for you. Geez, go to the National and look at some of the prices there. See how difficult it is to deal with some of the sellers there. Alot of the pricing there will send you running to ebay to buy!:D

Matt
06-17-2010, 09:00 AM
How do you set a snipe?

Alternatively, on grandslambids.com, sniping is integrated into the system so you don't need to supply your UserID/Password to outside parties.
(plug)

3-2-count
06-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Geez, go to the National and look at some of the prices there. See how difficult it is to deal with some of the sellers there. Alot of the pricing there will send you running to ebay to buy!:D

Hallelujah, ain't that the truth!!! Just think about how tough it would be if we didn't have Ebay.

deadballera
06-17-2010, 09:28 AM
I picked this up on a Buy-it-Now for what I thought was a great price....

The purchases with buy-it-now are very seldom, but occasionally I find a deal.

Oldtix
06-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Ebay changed their listing and selling fees earlier this year, and that has caused a huge shift away from auctions. They touted "free insertion fees" in all their news releases, but that only applies if your starting bid is less than $1.00 and you don't have a reserve...a pretty risky proposition for the seller. Any other auction listing costs from 25 cents to $2.00 per item, whether the item sells or not.

Ebay also provided greater incentive for sellers to open ebay stores which offer reduced listing fees. In my case, it only costs 5 cents to list a buy-it-now item regardless of the fixed price. I can list 40 fixed-price items for the price of one $200 item listed as an auction...and can ensure that I'm satisfied to sell at that price.

Anything sold under the auction format has a 9% final value fee regardless of price. Generally, fixed-price final value fees are higher if the item brings less than $100, but they are dramatically lower if it sells for more (and, if you have a good feedback record and maintain an ebay store, you earn additional discounts on final value fees).

A $100 ebay sale via a fixed price "buy-it-now" listing costs $9.00 in final value fees and a 5 cent insertion fee. If you sell the same item via auction, you also pay $9.00 in final value fees and a higher insertion fee (unless your start bid was less than a dollar).

If it brings more than $100, the fixed price selling fees are far, far less. On a $1,000 item, auction final value fee is $90 and fixed-price final value fee is $63. For a $2,000 item, auction costs $180 and fixed-price costs $83.

I only use the auction format for exceptional items when I'm unsure of the market value. The only advantage the auction format has under today's pricing is a listing has a better chance of being seen. Personally, it was more fun the way it used to be!

botn
06-17-2010, 09:47 AM
The 9% final value fee caps at $50 per item. So any item selling over $555.55 is charged the same final value fee.

barrysloate
06-17-2010, 09:47 AM
My understanding is those final value fees are reduced the more the item sells for. The percentage is less on a $1000 item than on a $10 one. Is that incorrect?

Greg and I posted at the same time.

smtjoy
06-17-2010, 09:59 AM
I think the lack of auctions is just a sign of the tough times, if things change to the positive again I would expect to see a lot more open ended auctions.

On ebay while I dont think their pricing changes have helped I just dont think they make anywhere as much difference vs what your items sells for. All it takes is to have one card you purchased for $77 sell for $17 and you will see why many are listing cards with high starting bids or as BIN's. I prefer auctions as I know I will get cash soon but I also dont like to get hammered on what I am selling so I try to do a mix to protect myself.

My store BIN sales the last 6 weeks has been as good as any time for me in the last 4 years, not really sure why but lots of cards have been selling.

botn
06-17-2010, 10:05 AM
One would think with so few non reserve auction listings that prices would be stronger than they are. The smaller supply has not diminished the impact of what appears to be a much weaker demand.

Sellers have to eat paypal fees (3%), listings fees (which are nominal in a true auction listing with no reserve), sometimes some shipping costs and final value fees (9%). Prices realized on ebay, for the most part, have been lower than the prices realized (before the buyer's fee is added on) from any of the numerous auction houses. So if you can wait to get paid and get a 0% consignment deal, you will end up with more money.

eBay is 24/7 and listings are continuously added and ending. Buyers have to make the time to search daily or things can get missed. Not everyone can search the site each day and now it is even less fun to search with the category changes and the sheer volume of high priced Buy It Now listings. It is easy for stuff to be missed. Catalog auctions are set to end on a specific day with a specific group of listings. Much easier to get buyers' attention which would also explain the higher prices realized.

Matthew H
06-17-2010, 10:08 AM
I have been checking the BINs lately. Some sellers are protecting themselves while remaining within reason.

barrysloate
06-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Greg has assessed it well but not everything is suitable for a catalog auction. If I have a T206 Bobby Wallace in a PSA 3, I can't consign it to an auction house. So it has to be sold in a venue like ebay. In fact the majority of $100-$500 cards on ebay may be there because they would be rejected by a major auction house.

Regarding all the BIN's on ebay I think they fit into different categories. If you have a card worth $100 and set a BIN, or opening bid at $100, what's wrong with that? A seller is entitled to get market value for his card.

Most of the complaints are with $100 cards with BINs set at say $250. That's a card priced not to sell, and it's not that there are only a smattering of them listed. The problem is there are so many overpriced items that buyers are getting turned off (and let's not even go into the argument that sellers are free to list their items at any price that want to- we know that but for the sake of discussion that has no relevance).

Robextend
06-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Most of the complaints are with $100 cards with BINs set at say $250. That's a card priced not to sell, and it's not that there are only a smattering of them listed. The problem is there are so many overpriced items that buyers are getting turned off (and let's not even go into the argument that sellers are free to list their items at any price that want to- we know that but for the sake of discussion that has no relevance).

Exactly. It is those kind of listings that make it disheartening to scroll through new listings every day. However most of us have to do it anyway just in case there is a steal (which does happen on occasion) or there is a card that is desperately needed.

mintacular
06-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Most of the complaints are with $100 cards with BINs set at say $250. This is my issue, especially when EX cards are priced at NM Beckett Book...

alanu
06-17-2010, 10:49 AM
The only time the BIN's of $250 for a $100 card bother me is when a seller is listing hundreds of such items at a time and it clogs up the "newly listed" items.

timzcardz
06-17-2010, 11:48 AM
If you are going to complain about ebay sellers listing items with high BINs, then you forfeit your right to complain about Coach's Corner that still puts up just as many if not more items in auction with low starting prices. :p . :D

rhettyeakley
06-17-2010, 12:02 PM
After a discussion about ebay stores here on the forum a few months ago I decided to give it a try to see if it was worth it. I gotta say that I have been pretty happy with my experience up to this point (kryvintage on ebay for those that don't recognize my ebay name as I was primarily a buyer there). I set what I feel are decent prices (not the 3-4X what I have seen similar cards selling for) and I have sold a lot over the last 60 days.

I used to sell quite a bit on ebay many years ago but I eventually developed my own website and began selling exclusively there (which I still do) and swore off ebay for a good 3-4 years. It has been great being able to turn over some inventory and liquidate some stuff I have had for a long time and use those funds to purchase things that are closer to my current focus.

I tend to factor in ebay fees as I am trying to set a decent price while not shooting for the moon (something seen way to often on ebay it seems). The upside of selling via the store is that I am never going to sell something I paid $100 for $20-30 as I have the power to directly conrol that aspect, on the flip side however you also won't get the occasional outragous prices you get when you have two people battling it out on a card they both need. The latter, it seems, was happening less and less these days anyways so I don't feel like I'm missing out on too much.

-Rhett

insidethewrapper
06-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Are there any other options to sell cards other then ebay ?

How about a site with no listing fees and 3% if a card sells ! Does this exist ? Why not ? My son lists all his legos on a site called bricklink.com and it's great for him because it doesn't cost anything to list and low Final Value Fees, 3%. List cards until they sell. Check out this site, I think it would work great for cards and other collectibles.

Matt
06-17-2010, 01:59 PM

How about a site with no listing fees and 3% if a card sells ! Does this exist ? Why not ? My son lists all his legos on a site called bricklink.com and it's great for him because it doesn't cost anything to list and low Final Value Fees, 3%. List cards until they sell. Check out this site, I think it would work great for cards and other collectibles.

Is this a setup?

http://www.GrandSlamBids.com

Leon
06-17-2010, 02:00 PM

There is a new site that has a large banner at the top of this page, Grandslambids.com ......The listing fee is .03 right now and the most you would be charged is a 1.5% final value fee.....It has most features that ebay has but some it doesn't....like, when an auction is over you can see all bidders, internal sniping, bulk auto lister, no mandatory online payments, both buyers and sellers can leave feedback....less fakes...etc etc...... It is almost free at the moment so hopefully folks will give it a whirl.

sorry Matt...we posted at the same time...yes, that was me as someone else ...LOL

ichieh
06-17-2010, 11:59 PM
cool website, but traffic is not as heavy as ebay

Rich Klein
06-18-2010, 03:52 AM
Right now. EBay has the most traffic and probably will for a long time. But a niche auction company such as Leon and Matt's venue, should be able with more advertising and word of mouth to build a nice buisness.

EBay has gone away from an "auction" house to a "fixed-sale" house and that is great for most of what is sold on the Bay EXCEPT for collectibles. Collectibles are good for an auction style set up

So, join the new site and let it grow to become an alternative in the card sense to EBay but not a replacement.

Rich