PDA

View Full Version : More on The National

John V
06-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Question(s):
If someone can only attend one full day at The National, and you have a limited focus, such as pre-War, and you are not interested in the autograph guests, can you take your time and see it all, or will you have to haul-butt?

Also, do most dealers take credit cards or must everyone carry a bankroll?

06-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Question(s):

I've wondered about that myself. This year will be my first trip to the National as well.

bcbgcbrcb
06-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Assuming you don't try to do it all on Wednesday night, a really focused collector can see the whole show on any given day without rushing too much. Wednesday night + Thursday usually works out well for me and sometimes Friday just as a double check to make sure that I haven't missed anything the previous two days.

Leon
06-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Question(s):
If someone can only attend one full day at The National, and you have a limited focus, such as pre-War, and you are not interested in the autograph guests, can you take your time and see it all, or will you have to haul-butt?

You can walk quickly down each isle and probably, briefly see everything. You won't be able to stop and really dig deep though. If there are 1000 tables then there will probably be 100 or so with some vintage.....you have about 10 hours....You will have to go fairly quickly.

I would carry cash if I were going to buy something (I always do). Most don't take credit cards but some do. I have done quite a few "let me take it now, pay me later" deals. I have the benefit of knowing quite a few folks though. Also, most people will take a check if you have good ID and it's not a real large sale....and you look like a regular slob, like the rest of us. :(

Exhibitman
06-16-2010, 02:58 PM
You will have to truck pretty hard to get through it but there are some things you can do to maximize your time:

--Don't go anywhere there are carpeted aisles. Those are the corporate booth areas and there aren't any vintage cards for sale there.

--Don't submit on site grading or drop things off for grading.

--Purchase a VIP pass to get in earlier.

--Skip all auctioneer tables. Again, nothing for sale. Wait for the catalog.

--Unless something great screams at you from the table, give a table the once-over and quickly decide if it is worth looking at more in depth, then make a note of the booth number and move on. Circle back to those tables once you've made your initial pass.

--If you are well-acquainted with a dealer's inventory (as will be the case with certain nationally-known dealers with large Ebay stores, at least some of whom named their businesses after airplanes in Steve Miller songs), don't waste the time stopping at that table; you won't see anything new.

--Trust your first impressions of what a dealer has for sale. I roam the show for 4-5 days and my experience has been that perhaps 10%-20% of the show is pure crud, another 10%-20% is modern shiny crap or manufactured memorabilia that won't interest a vintage collector, another 10%-20% is vintage memorabilia that is interesting but of no use if you aren't a memorabilia guy, and another 10%-20% is devoted to sports other than baseball. Realistically, if your focus is prewar baseball it won't be worth your while even to stop at 1/3 to 2/3 of the tables.

--Don't get stuck at the mounds-o-crap type booths unless you have time to kill or see something really great on the top. Odds are that a table that is a mess is run by someone with no idea of what he has for sale and is a giant time suck. Come back to those if they seem worth exploring. Similarly, if a dealer tells you he doesn't know whether he has a type of item, walk away. If he doesn't know his inventory and gives you a box of crud to wade through, odds are you will waste a lot of time there. Again, if it looks interesting, maybe hit the table on a second pass.

--Have a 'litmus test' item from your want list but make it a broad category, like T206s or Old Judge baseball, and ask for it whenever a dealer asks if he can help you. It will be pretty easy to tell if the dealer has anything to do with that sort of material based on his response.

--Walk away, fast, from a table that has been left in care of a little kid or a frustrated wife. Nothing but misery awaits you there.

--Lunch is for wimps. Take a packet of nuts or a granola bar; don't waste time in line then sitting down sampling the 'cuisine' at the convention.

--Pee on your own time, not on show time.

As far as payment, cash is king. Don't expect many dealers to take anything except greenbacks or perhaps travelers checks.

dstudeba
06-16-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't consider pre-War a limited enough focus to see it comfortably in a day. If you were working on 5-10 non-mainstream sets or players then it could be done. I could probably cover the National in an afternoon if I didn't talk to people because very few dealers have anything I am interested in.

forazzurri2axz
06-16-2010, 03:11 PM
I have a table for the first time and I think I am near the Corporate area( booth 1909) and I will have 1000 vintage (only) cards);;; and

and it's also easier on your feet if the rest is concrete/hard floor

cheers, bill

Rob D.
06-16-2010, 03:18 PM
--Skip all auctioneer tables. Again, nothing for sale. Wait for the catalog.

I'll add that this is true for just about every auction house's table. However, the ones that seem to be plagued by bidders who don't pay for their lots just might have something for sale at their tables -- heck, maybe from an auction that recently ended.

But I don't have a problem with any of them (or anyone or anything in the hobby, really). They've always been great to work with. Happy Father's Day.

06-16-2010, 03:52 PM
As far as payment, cash is king. Don't expect many dealers to take anything except greenbacks or perhaps travelers checks.

That's disappointing. How many muggings are there outside the gates? :)

49leaf
06-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Bring cash money talks! Agreed skip lunch just keep hitting the bar every time you pass one. Writing down booth numbers is a good idea. wear a good pair of sneakers or hiking shoes. also bring a small backpack-childs school bag as you will pick up many catologs flyers etc you will want to bring home. bring a focused buying list as it is easy to get distracted and the next thing you know you are bartering on a arod rookie card. most of all have fun.

Jewish-collector
06-16-2010, 09:01 PM
The National is something you can enjoy in one day, but you'll have to keep moving and not get distracted in unrelated conversation. If you don't have a choice you really need to make note of the dealers you want to see and find them out.

If I had to choose only one day, I would choose Thursday. Earlier is better and there will be less stuff picked over. Plus it's less crowded than any other day. Wednesday is mostly a set up day and a lot of dealers will not be selling on Wed. so Thursday is the first real day.

A lot dealers do take checks or credit cards. That said, cash is king and you see some prodigious wads flashed around the room. It's often easier to get discounts if you look ready to peel off large bills.

Here's a beginner's guide to the National:

My advice to first timers is to wear comfortable shoes, carry a large shoulder bag or a pack for your cash, want lists, top loads, plastic cases, and a small box for graded cards. Leave your coat/jacket/sweater in your car. it will be warm at the show. Bring a pen and a notebook to keep track of your purchases and to make a map of dealer booths so you can remember where you saw particular items. Don't pay the listed price for anything. Many times the dealers will offer you a discount before you ask for one. It doesn't hurt to ask for a larger discount that the one that they offer. If you are looking for specific items in specific grades, make a list of the prices that you are willing to pay. It is easy to overpay at the show. If you look hard enough you will find a few bargains, but it may take some time. Bring a small flashlight,a loupe, and a magnifying glass. Bring some $1 bills and $5 bills. It is surprising how many dealers don't have enough change.

When you see a card in a dealers showcase with no price, and you ask the dealer how much he wants for it, usually if he says, "hold on a minute, I'll look it up", you can count on the dealer asking for much more than it is worth. Generally he will be looking for suckers who are willing to overpay, or he really doesn't know how much it is worth and he is "fishing" to see what you will offer. It seems like some of the dealers don't like to acknowledge that you are looking at their cards, and that you may like to buy something from them. They are too busy eating, reading, or sorting their cards to look up and say "hi". It also seems that the dealers who do acknowledge you, talk to you, and ask you questions are the ones who are willing to be flexible on their prices. Some of the dealers are there to sell their cards and turn over their inventory, and some seem to bring the same overpriced crap to show after show.

Also, do get together with other collectors & dealers. It's a great way to put some faces to the names of the Net54 members. People can be quite different face to face than they are on the forum.

You will have a blast at the show even if you don't buy anything.

Alan

HRBAKER
06-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Plus try to work some fun into it. Our group annually has a watch for the worst rug (toupee) in the room, usually there are several viable candidates.

Griffins
06-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Our group annually has a watch for the worst rug (toupee) in the room, usually there are several viable candidates.

Are you kidding? There is one guy that has absolutely no competition in that category!

Rickyy
06-17-2010, 01:13 AM
I know this thread is for seeing the National in a limited amount of time... but if you do find a good dealer...always ask if they have other things you are interested in that are not displayed...I've scored some nice things at shows that weren't on the tables...

Exhibitman
06-17-2010, 06:59 AM
The bad rug champ? Irv Lerner. Looks like a small animal died on his head. Makes Levi Bleam's white top hat look like haute couture.

glynparson
06-17-2010, 07:40 AM
You read my mind.:D

Blunder19
06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
hey when and where is the national??

thanks

06-17-2010, 05:39 PM
hey when and where is the national??

thanks

http://www.nsccshow.com/

I'm feeling deja vu (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=812159#post812159)...

Jewish-collector
06-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Daryl,

No one wants to share a table ? :confused:

06-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Daryl,

No one wants to share a table ? :confused:

In the deja vu link, check the post above mine.