PDA

View Full Version : Should I go to the National Show or the Hall of Fame?

timber63401
06-16-2010, 12:53 PM
I firgured a lot of you guys on here have been to both so I thought this would be a good place to ask. Im just a poor working man so Im saving up to go to one or the other next year. Im going to go to both someday but next year will be just one or the other. I love baseball and baseball cards. I like everything from T206s to even some of the shiny stuff. Just wanting some opinions on whats the better pure expereance. Thanks.

Brian Van Horn
06-16-2010, 12:56 PM
National.

Rob D.
06-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Maybe Alan will check in on this.

Jewish-collector
06-16-2010, 01:09 PM
The National without a doubt. :D

tedzan
06-16-2010, 01:13 PM
I've been setting up at the HOF weekend Cooperstown Show since the 1980's. It's a small show (20
dealers) with some great vintage stuff. Admission is FREE. The HOF weekend is on the last weekend
in July....an all-around tremendous experience. I highly recommend being there.

The following week, I set-up at the National. Can't beat that experience, either.

Hope to see you at both.

TED Z

PolarBear
06-16-2010, 01:17 PM
You can only go to the HOF if 75% or greater of the replies agree.

autograf
06-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Nice........

wake.up.the.echoes
06-16-2010, 01:46 PM
(To qualify the following statement, I have been to the Baseball Hall of Fame on several occasions, but I have not gone to the National.)

Go to the National.

E93
06-16-2010, 02:11 PM
(To qualify the following statement, I have been to the Baseball Hall of Fame on several occasions, but I have not gone to the National.)

No brainer; go to the National.

wake.up.the.echoes
06-16-2010, 02:20 PM
I have gone to the Hall of Fame on several occasions, by myself, and I truly enjoyed the solitary experience. I will be returning to the Hall of Fame again, I am sure, but probably not until I have kids. I want to be able to experience the Hall with a family, rather than on my own again.

I'll probably have to attend the National on my own because I don't personally know anyone else who would want to spend that much time looking at sportscards with me.

bcbgcbrcb
06-16-2010, 02:51 PM
If you are a seriuous collector, the National. If you are more of a serious baseball fan that also enjoys cards, could go either way and maybe try alternating years between the two.

Exhibitman
06-16-2010, 03:02 PM
National. The HOF is nice and all but it is mostly a museum visit, which you can do most any time. And odds are that whoever is being inducted and is alive will be at the National signing anyway.

Rob D.
06-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Maybe wait until the National is in Cleveland again to make the most of the experience ...

boysblue
06-16-2010, 03:30 PM
National.

HRBAKER
06-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Maybe wait until the National is in Cleveland again to make the most of the experience ...

I recommend foregoing both and trying Wichita! :D

asoriano
06-16-2010, 06:45 PM
No question in my mind; The National.

Provided is a video that has a few scenes from Cleveland '09:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aL1R64CAnTQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aL1R64CAnTQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Kawika
06-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Timber: I've been to the BBHoF once and to two Nationals (Anaheim and Chicago). My wife and I had a grand time in Cooperstown and I had a blast at both Nationals, particularly Chicago in '08. Both venues are wonderful for pretty much completely different reasons - awesome baseball history in a charming upstate NY village on the one hand, vintage cardboard in orgasmic proportions plus the opportunity to hang out with legions of charming cardaholics on the other. It's a tough call. If I had six months to live and could only do one or the other I wouldn't want to have missed the Mecca of Baseball, Cooperstown. Swimming upstream here but that's my two centavos.
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/bbhofthefirstclass/websize/DSC05300.JPG

Matthew H
06-16-2010, 07:01 PM
It's been a long time since I've been to the National. It was in Los Angeles (where I live) in the early nineties sometime. A great experience.

Never been to the HOF though. I guess you'd have to decide if you want to look at stuff, or if you want to buy stuff.

calvindog
06-16-2010, 07:07 PM
I haven't been to a National yet but Cooperstown is not to be missed. It's in a beautiful hamlet with just a spectacular setting.

mcap100176
06-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Since you are going next year, I would say the National since it is in Chicago. While I have never been to Chicago, I have never heard anyone say anything bad about it. I would rather go to Chicago, the National and a Cubs game then the HOF. I am spoiled this year, since I am in NJ my girlfriend and I are doing a long weekend to Baltimore (including a 2 day stay in Gettysburg & Orioles on Saturday) for the National and plan on HOF early next spring (only about a 4 hour drive to Cooperstown).

This will be my first National and all it cost me was paying for a day at a spa for my girlfriend so she leaves me alone! haha (as you can imagine, she didn't complain about that trade).

Peter_Spaeth
06-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Hall of Fame. You can see overpriced cards any time. :D

BearBailey
06-16-2010, 07:27 PM
I would also go with the National. As great as the HOF is, it is a day trip unless you want to tie it in with the induction ceremonies, Boxing HOF in Canasota or something in upstate NY. The National you can spend days at alone, plus it is usually a good city with some baseball games to attend and whatever else you would like to do.

k-dog
06-16-2010, 07:34 PM
I have never been to either one(I have been to large card shows and have been to the Football HOF in Canton, Ohio) but I think it really depends on what you want in return from the experience. If you are wanting to be overwhelmed by the massive amounts of collectibles or if you are looking for specific things to buy I would say go to the national. If you want to enjoy the history of the game of baseball and learn more about the players that shape the sport, go to Cooperstown. I don't think you will be disappointed in either one. Let us know what you decide! :)

Vintagecatcher
06-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Living in New England, I have been to the Hall of Fame about a dozen times. It's a great day trip. The Hall of Fame is just part of the Cooperstown experience. Unfortunately, one of the nicest shops, The National Pastime, closed a few years back. I'll truly miss it when I visit Cooperstown again. There is a lot of other attractions in that area of New York State. I had a really great time at Pudge Fisk's induction ceremony.

I have also been to three Nationals: Cleveland "97, Atlanta, and Atlantic City.
Cleveland was by far the best National of the three. It was also my first National.

Two very different experiences, but both exciting trips, nevertheless.

Patrick

SteveMitchell
06-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Having been in the right place at the right time, my family and I were dealers at the first 5 Nationals (1980-84) and attended the "big" Anaheim show of the early 1990's when 100,000 or so showed. We have been to the National Baseball Hall of Fame twice (1971 and '75). I would choose the Hall of Fame first and the National second. But both are excellent!

Have fun!

terjung
06-16-2010, 08:34 PM
To me, the National is not only about the cards, but is more about hanging out with the people. That, to me, puts it over the top.

(been to two Nationals - only one while being a vintage card collector. haven't yet been to the HOF)

Jay Wolt
06-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Been to the Hall Of Fame several times from the 70's to the 90's
and to the National several times from '84 to '07
Both are great and you can't go wrong which ever you choose

kmac32
06-16-2010, 10:40 PM
depends on what you are looking for. National is great if you are there to collect. However, if you have a small list and rarely find anything, you might be disappointed. If you want to see an awesome collection of cards in one place, the national. If you want baseball history, Hall of Fame.

Joe_G.
06-16-2010, 10:45 PM
I've been to both numerous times but assuming I started with a clean slate and could only pick one, I would pick the HOF. I'm a softy for baseball history, enjoy being in the country (as opposed to being in an unfamiliar city), and the HOF should be cheaper (better chance you'll go broke at the National).

There is a significant HOF opportunity that few take advange of . . . that is researching items of interest to you in their library. The HOF collection is far greater than what you'll find on display. Make an appointment ahead of time to review books, memorabilia, or cards of most interest to you. As an example, I've been able to view rarely seen Tomlinson cabinets (including several large 16"x20" 19th century Detroit team photos) and hundreds of N172 and N173 cards. I've studied the Old Judge collection on three different visits and learned more each time.

Baseball HOF is a great visit for collectors and historians alike. That being said, I also really enjoy the National but won't be making this year for the first time since maybe 2003.

Buythatcard
06-17-2010, 05:11 AM
Both!

I just went to the HOF 2 weeks ago and I am planning on attending the National for the 4th year in a row. The HOF has a great display of baseball cards including the Gretsky Honus Wagner card. I thought the baseball card display was the best feature of the HOF. Don't miss the 1/2 hour movie. Be sure to visit the Negro League section. Some very interesting stories there. Also, check out Doubleday field especially if there is a game being played. The teams playing are made up of 15- 17 year olds who play really well. Stay away from the local card shops on Main street, very overpriced. If you have an AAA card, your entrance fee is discounted.

As far as the National, you can't beat the experience. There are so many tables, that you just don't know where to start. Best part is running into familiar faces from net54 and past shows. By the end of the second day my knees are screaming for me to go back to the hotel and play with my new cards.

Can't go wrong with either choice.

GrayGhost
06-17-2010, 05:23 AM
Both places are awesome. Changes in my life in recent years hasn't allowed me to go to either, sadly. But, Ive been to four nationals in the past and the HOF on several occasions.

For me, I'd pick the HOF, all things being equal. I like the relaxing country around there, tho its getting to "tourist time". I Love going in the fall, beautiful up there. Howe Caverns is an awesome attraction not far from the HOF also.

The national tho is fantastic too. I used to get things at it, but of course, some people treat it like a museum, and you can't get any deals.

quinnsryche
06-17-2010, 06:40 AM
Hall of Fame. You can see overpriced cards any time. :D
Man, that's the nail on the head there!:)