PDA

View Full Version : 1919 White Sox team issue cards

Fred
06-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Is anyone trying to complete a 1919 White Sox team issued set? It was issued as a 25 card set and it is listed in the Standard Catalog. The cards are 1-11/16 x 2-3/4. Is it a very difficult set to complete?

Leon
06-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Is anyone trying to complete a 1919 White Sox team issued set? It was issued as a 25 card set and it is listed in the Standard Catalog. The cards are 1-11/16 x 2-3/4. Is it a very difficult set to complete?

It's going to be tough since there is only one known set and as far as I know it has not been broken up.

Fred
06-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Are these cards "scarce"? The reason I ask is because I have a chance to pick up a few. No, nothing close to a set and none of the "big" names are there. However, there is a Comiskey.

felada
06-12-2010, 11:31 AM
As leon said there is only one known set. That would make them about as scarce as the alpha photo engraving cards. I would be cautious about buying singles since i do not believe the set was ever broken up.

nolemmings
06-12-2010, 11:36 AM
This set was reprinted. As for originals, as far as I am aware, there is only one known set, with no known singles. Even if there are some singles extant, they would be extremely scarce. The chance to "pick up a few" is incredibly remote, unless of course they are the reprints, which appear in set form on ebay from time to time and therefore could of course be broken up into singles.

IMO, the chances of you acquiring authentic singles from this set are negligible, but I would love to be wrong.

timn1
06-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Whenever I pass by this set in the SCD I've wondered why I have never once seen a single card from it anywhere. I guess this explains it-- and yet not really. Todd and/or Leon, can you give us any more info? How can it be known for sure that only set exists, and no singles? Is there hobby lore you can share?

barrysloate
06-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Tim- the set was sold to Copeland intact and was offered by Sotheby's the same way. That's the early history of it- don't recall if it has sold publicly since.

Leon
06-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Whenever I pass by this set in the SCD I've wondered why I have never once seen a single card from it anywhere. I guess this explains it-- and yet not really. Todd and/or Leon, can you give us any more info? How can it be known for sure that only set exists, and no singles? Is there hobby lore you can share?

It is always better to say "known" when guessing the population of pre-war cards, and I almost always do :D. Unless we know positively how many were produced, and those are all accounted for, then we really don't know for sure how many there are. There is a bit of lore though in that at least one very, very experienced collecting pioneer doesn't think the set is from 1919. I forget exactly what he told me but he was fairly adamant it wasn't from 1919. I bet I get an email a month where the person describes these reprints and fakes, and asks if they are real. I usually tell them they have a better chance of winning the lottery than what they have is real. One can only dream........

Fred
06-12-2010, 01:32 PM
I bought them - They look real but.....

Fred
06-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't have the specs for the reprint set issued in 1992. What size were those cards?

I don't have a standard catalog of cards that has the reprint set listed because I generally tear out the new section of the catalog (so it's not so heavy to carry around).

If these cards are fake then someone really knows what they're doing to make the cards look aged.

Who knows, I probably dropped a few bucks on some cards that are probably reprints.

Leon
06-12-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't have the specs for the reprint set issued in 1992. What size were those cards?

I don't have a standard catalog of cards that has the reprint set listed because I generally tear out the new section of the catalog (so it's not so heavy to carry around).

If these cards are fake then someone really knows what they're doing to make the cards look aged.

Who knows, I probably dropped a few bucks on some cards that are probably reprints.

Ya' never know Fred. Maybe you are the lucky one to find a Wags in grandpa's attic.

Bob Lemke
06-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Some years back it was determined this was a 1917 set. The big book says it sold in 1991 for $45,100; in 1997 for $46,000 and in 2001 for $50,330.

Greg Manning reprinted the set in 1992. The reprints are 2" x 3", slightly bigger than the 1-11/16" x 2-3/4" originals. The banned players' reprint cards have a black frame added to the front and some data and stats on back. Manning also issued a colorized Joe Jackson.