PDA

View Full Version : Ne1 else notice? What would you do?

rdwyer
06-11-2010, 06:22 PM
SCP auctions prematurely ended every auction last night at 7p.m. They claimed it was a fault with their software. I had 8 distinct bidders who had bidded until the auction shut down prematurely on my lot. They then turned the auction back on with the 30 minute rule, in which all my bidders didn't know what was going on. (They thought it was over) I took a huge loss on my lot, and SCP's attitude is: "A auction is a auction" or "If you don't like it, go somewhere else". This is what you get for doing 30 years business with SCP. I wish someone else would have warned me here first, before doing an auction with them. BTW, it was Clay who made the statements! What an ass.

jheffron
06-11-2010, 06:30 PM
It will make little to no difference but I'm sorry that happened to you and the bidders. It would appear at first blush that the auction house handled it's response poorly.

Pup6913
06-11-2010, 07:04 PM
2 words for you in that situation. LAW SUIT.

They did not fulfill their end by properly running the auction corretly, there fore they broke contract and not you. I am not a lawyer but I am sure that is a common rule of thumb.

Bicem
06-11-2010, 07:21 PM
wow, no wonder prices looked low.

calvindog
06-11-2010, 07:21 PM

They did not fulfill their end by properly running the auction corretly, there fore they broke contract and not you. I am not a lawyer but I am sure that is a common rule of thumb.

I'm sure lots of lawyers will be clamoring for this case.

David Atkatz
06-11-2010, 07:22 PM
I have two words for you if you sue: "You Lose."

You can be damn sure SCP's fine print protects them from liability due to computer glitches.

Bridwell
06-11-2010, 07:37 PM
I noticed the auction closed right on time like they said, but instead of going into the 30 minutes extended bidding period it just closed. About 5 minutes later, it came back on and went into the expected 30-minutes bid process. As a bidder, I was a little confused but checked back a few minutes later to see the timer had come back on. From there, it seemed to be a normal process. So maybe it was just a glitch for about 5 minutes.

Ron

Leon
06-11-2010, 07:38 PM

You aren't a lawyer? BTW, lawsuit is one word.

rhettyeakley
06-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Leon, maybe he was referring to a suit one would wear when filing a lawsuit!?!
-Rhett

rdwyer
06-11-2010, 07:57 PM
SCP told me I had 8 different bidders that were eligible to bid after the extended bidding period. Only one bid was made after they turned it back on. I know that the other bidders missed out, because a similar set sold for more when it was poorer quality than mine. It also had more bids than mine.

Peter_Spaeth
06-11-2010, 07:59 PM

So is "therefore"

Peter_Spaeth
06-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Leon, maybe he was referring to a suit one would wear when filing a lawsuit!?!
-Rhett

I think it's a reference to Lichtman's wardrobe.

Jewish-collector
06-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Good one Peter :D:D:D:D:D

martyogelvie
06-12-2010, 07:07 AM

what, is Barry on vacation?

barrysloate
06-12-2010, 07:19 AM
I'm letting the board members self-regulate their spelling.:)

oldjudge
06-12-2010, 08:37 AM
What SCP did is not without precedent. Other auctions have had computer issues and have handled things in a similar fashion. Anyone could have done what I did-call and ask what had happened. I was politely informed and took part during the extended period.

kcohen
06-12-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm letting the board self-regulate their spelling.:)

I believe that would be - I'm letting the board self-regulate its spelling.

:o

barrysloate
06-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Ken- I considered that but the board is a group of people, as in "I let the various people who have commented on this thread regulate their own spelling."

I'm defining "board" as several different people.

Rob D.
06-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Board is a singular noun, much like crowd, group and couple. It takes a singular verb.

calvindog
06-12-2010, 09:34 AM
The lawyer is correct.

barrysloate
06-12-2010, 09:46 AM
I edited my post to read "board members." Now it is plural.

Leon
06-12-2010, 09:47 AM
With first hand knowledge of running an auction and having technical issues, I can safely say it is a very fluid situation. In our last auction, when our server got a malicious attack, we had to make a decision based on many factors. Had we only been down for about 5-10 minutes, we would have resumed that night. Once we had a delay longer than that then we had to postpone until the next night. From the feedback received, and the prices realized, I feel we made the correct decision. There is no play book for making these decisions. I only bid on one lot in SCP, put in a max, got topped, so didn't watch any further. I didn't even know there was an issue.

cfc1909
06-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I called and was told they didn't have time for me their phones are ringing off the hook.
So you blow me off to answer another phone and blow that person off too.

I did win a lot and may bid with them again but I will not consign.

Peter_Spaeth
06-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I edited my post to read "board members." Now it is plural.

Right out of 1984.

PolarBear
06-12-2010, 11:18 AM
I believe that would be - I'm letting the board self-regulate its spelling.

:o

Ouch.

felada
06-12-2010, 11:24 AM
i thought the prices in general were very low. I picked up one card for less than half the price, including BP, i offered someone last month for the same card in much worse condition. i do not think it had anything to do with a glitch in the auction.

barrysloate
06-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Prices in general are down. That shouldn't come as a surprise anymore.

rdwyer
06-12-2010, 11:36 AM
I feel that I lost money because the ones who were bidding thought it was over. Yes, maybe one or two caught on. But it's the ones who didn't, I lose there bids. I called 3 or 4 times to find out what was going on myself, and everyone I talked to said the same thing: "An auction is an auction", etc.

I felt that either they pull the auction, or they give up their commission or premium. Clay's response was to do business with someone else.

An auction is an auction if it's fair and done properly. I would try to please the seller if I had a problem with an auction I did.

cfc1909 wasn't the only one that blown off. The ones I spoke to said that everyone was calling in. (To complain)

benchod
06-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I called and was politely told there was a computer problem and the clock would be reset in a few minutes.

I can't believe that anyone who really wanted to bid on an item would assume the auction was over and give up when the rules clearly stated that the closing period began at 10 est

David Atkatz
06-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Board is a singular noun, much like crowd, group and couple. It takes a singular verb.

Only in this country.

In British English, it would be "The board are..."

rdwyer
06-12-2010, 12:59 PM
The lots were closed at 10 EST!

Their rules stated if there were no bids made between 9 EST and 10 EST time, it would close at 10 EST. That's when the glitch happened.

So if someone was watching and saw that the lot was closed, you would assume no other bids were made. Lot closed.

nolemmings
06-12-2010, 01:07 PM
I would not make such assumption. I would believe the chances of no bids having been placed to be unlikely, and would assume, if anything, that there was a glitch in the software that prevented or failed to initiate extended bidding. I would call.

rdwyer
06-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Since there was 3 such items, one would assume no interest. I was told that my lot wouldn't be in competition with other same items. (Another one of their lies)

slidekellyslide
06-12-2010, 01:18 PM
I felt that either they pull the auction, or they give up their commission or premium. Clay's response was to do business with someone else.

That's a pretty crappy way to treat a customer...especially one who gave SCP free advertising on this board.

calvindog
06-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Guys, auction houses are like any other business. They are concerned with making money and protecting their own asses first, second and third. If any customers' feelings are hurt in the process of their making money or protecting their asses, guess who gets tossed overboard.

Sixtofan
06-12-2010, 03:52 PM
There were 3 lots I would have gone much higher on but I thought the auction was over. Yep, I could have called and asked but I just assumed I miscalculated the time as I have done that before. I would think SCP would have sent an email or put a note on the auction or something.
In fact, until this morning I thought I won a lot in the auction and when I went to print the invoice today - saw there were additional bids and I lost. At least now I know why.

rdwyer
06-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Exactly, Sixtofan! When going to a store and you see a closed sign, who would try going back 15 minutes later? Who would call the store? A closed sign means closed. Doesn't make any sense at all to not notify people by email, etc. that there was a problem. If they're in it to make money, why take losses by missing out on more bidding? They let someone steal my lot!

oldjudge
06-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Rdwyer--Which lot was yours?

rdwyer
06-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Old Judge: I sent you a private email.

oldjudge
06-12-2010, 06:11 PM
I think it would help people understand the situation better if they could see how much of a haircut you took on your lot. That is why I asked for the lot number.

Pup6913
06-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I have two words for you if you sue: "You Lose."

You can be damn sure SCP's fine print protects them from liability due to computer glitches.

How could this be? Why should anyone lose $100's if not $1000's of dollars for their issues. What happened to customer service? If it was a glitch in their system then the consigner should have some rights, right? Just does not seem fair to any consigner.

BTW thanks for the spelling check guys

rdwyer
06-14-2010, 03:30 PM
I figured I'd let Clay (SCP) cool off for awhile. I called today after waiting a few days to try to resolve my problem once again.

He said immediately after saying my name: "Oh it's you" and hung up. I'm not out $1000's, maybe a $1000. How petty of this jerk to treat his consignors like this.

Dalkiel
06-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Something similar happened in a weekly Heritage auction a few years ago. I was a bidder and definitely benefited from the technical malfunction. I can imagine I'd be upset too if I were in your shoes.

rman444
06-14-2010, 06:02 PM
I won the dukes cabinet Delahanty when the lot closed the first time and then lost it by one bid when it reopened :(

rdwyer
06-24-2010, 12:49 PM
I've decided to sue SCP Auctions in small claims court. Ne1 here that would like to write a declaration for my case? I need verification of the auction closing prematurely and others who have suffered because of it. If you had similar experiences with Clay or others, etc. TIA