PDA

View Full Version : 1930's Real Photo Post Card

ncinin
06-11-2010, 03:53 PM
I recently graded a Lou Gehrig card that I thought was a Worch Cigar, but never noticed it had a post card back.

When completing the SGC submission form I noted it was a Worch Cigar, but when receiving the card slabbed it is noted as 1930's Real Photo Post card.

Is this good thing? Is the PC better than a Worch Cigar Gehrig? This is the only such Gehrig SGC has graded and can't find any other info.

Any info is appreciated.

paul
06-11-2010, 03:58 PM
I have the same one, with the same back, and very similar back damage. It is a Worch Cigar. At least that's what Leon told me when he sold it to me. My understanding is the PC back Worch Cigar cards are much rarer than the blank backs, but carry no real premium.

jeffmohler
06-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I agree with Paul.:) I have about 30 Worch Cigars and only one or two have postcard backs. To the best of my knowledge there is no premium for a postcard back

Leon
06-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Yes, the PC backed ones are much more scarce. I have probably had 30-40 Worch cards and only about 2-3 had the PC backs. I have never seen them really carry a premium though. This is one of my favorite Mack cards....and is actually a fairly scarce one and is blank backed.

btw, the PC back in the first post is one of the nicer PC backs I have seen. Most have some, to major, damage from scrapbook removal.

Rob D.
06-11-2010, 05:25 PM
I recently graded a Lou Gehrig card that I thought was a Worch Cigar, but never noticed it had a post card back.

When completing the SGC submission form I noted it was a Worch Cigar, but when receiving the card slabbed it is noted as 1930's Real Photo Post card.

Is this good thing? Is the PC better than a Worch Cigar Gehrig? This is the only such Gehrig SGC has graded and can't find any other info.

Any info is appreciated.

Did you receive a call from SGC before they slabbed it? If you didn't I'm a bit surprised, especially because you noted on the submission form that it's a Worch Cigar. If they thought you were incorrect and weren't going to identify it as such, I'd have thought they'd contact you first. They're usually pretty thorough about details like that.

(And before our SGC stalkers start posting heart-tugging testimonials, I'm not knocking SGC. The fact that they usually do such a good job working with customers is why I'm surprised they might not have in this case. So remain calm, all is well.)

ChiefBenderForever
06-11-2010, 09:43 PM
That back is wicked, looks like a devil skull blowing out smoke, it's as cool as the front.

Matt
06-12-2010, 10:09 PM
This may come down to cataloging semantics, but the Gehrig you posted has some significant differences from what I have traditionally seen called "Worch Cigar" cards. Aside from the PC back, the front image is smaller and has a much larger border at the bottom. See here for a comparison of a traditional Worch Cigar Gehrig:

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=12547&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1

I wonder if someone took the Worch Cigar images and made RPPCs out of them...

rhettyeakley
06-12-2010, 11:40 PM
That back is wicked, looks like a devil skull blowing out smoke, it's as cool as the front.

Johnny, I'm glad I'm not the only morbid one on here! When I first saw this posted I saw the same thing and was wondering if anyone else would pick up on it. It's almost so perfect it couldn't possibly have been done on purpose! Anyways it loses a bid of it's effect with the red highlights but here is the image Johnny referred to outlined (very quickly too so don't give me a hard time!)
http://starsofthediamond.com/01gehrig.jpg http://starsofthediamond.com/01gehrig2.JPG

fkw
06-12-2010, 11:49 PM
:)

PS The one Matt pointed out is quite a bit different in the caption. Never kept track of the Gehrigs much, not sure which one is scarcer. The PC one has a caption in one of the Worch styles too.

Not sure what to think, they are both real photo and postcard size. Is the stock the same?

Leon
06-13-2010, 08:37 AM
I have noticed differences on Worch cards too. I have always thought it was just a loosely manufactured set and the differences were no big deal. These also remind me of the MN set from the same era. Think of a more common Frederick Foto, with all of the inconsistencies, and that is the way I have thought of them. I have never studied them in depth besides the quite a few I have owned. regards

nolemmings
06-13-2010, 10:26 PM
There's alot still unknown about what are called Worch Cigar cards. The blank back, undated cards make no mention of Worch, and often carry photo credits for each of the Twin Cities' newspapers. There are several cards with minor cropping differences and different caption styles. I'm not convinced the photos were not used by more than just Worch Cigars. The postcard backs just add more mystery.

Tonight four American Association "Worch's" went off at very healthy prices.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370392701014&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Two were listed as uncatalogued, and all four were Minneapolis Millers. One of the players did not play for the Millers until 1935, and I suspect all four were issued that year. Oddly, my latest SCD Catalogue (shamefully outdated from '07) states that 1935 Millers are included in what it calls a 1933-34 Worch set. It is possible Worch continued to reissue cards over a multi-year period, but it is also possible that the 1935 cards, which appear to be limited to Millers, may have been issued by someone else--maybe even the team.