PDA

View Full Version : Custom Cut "Frankenstein" Auto'ed Cards (Ruth & Cobb)

T206Collector
06-11-2010, 08:09 AM
I've got a few issues with this Frankenstein card....

a) They cut off Babe Ruth's last name

b) This was not done by Topps/UD, but instead someone took the Topps/UD cards and had the Ruth & Cobb autographs professionally inlaid into the cards

c) PSA & Beckett authenticated and encapsulated them, albeit as a "cut" or "unlicensed card", which certainly confused me for awhile that this was actually an official Topps/UD issue.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-1-Babe-Ruth-Signed-Allen-Ginter-AUTO-PSA-DNA-2008-/290441214565?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Baseball&hash=item439fa53a65

http://cgi.ebay.com/TY-Cobb-Signed-Stamp-AUTHENTIC-Autograph-JSA-BGS-1-1-/300360202557?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45eedcf93d

M's_Fan
06-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Now I've seen it all.... why would anyone create their own autographed franken-cards? Hopefully the Babe autograph was already cut off, and they didn't mangle it further to fit in this card. Frankenstein is right!

GrayGhost
06-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Garbage. The guy created them to try and make money and he's a moron. First, if the Ruth Signature was full at one time and he cut it, he is a CERTIFIABLE Moron. Second, both cards, esp the Cobb, look hideous.

a "Babe" Cut or a signed Cobb Stamp ( hard to read as it is) would not garner nearly as much as the "minimum bid" this buffoon is hoping to get, even if they were NICELY PRESENTED, not like this.

Pitiful and honestly, makes me sick.

Robextend
06-11-2010, 09:21 AM
From the listing:

"there is not another one like it in the world."

I really hope not, absolutely deplorable.

famousgolfers
06-11-2010, 09:25 AM
I kind of like the Cobb. I don't think it will sell for anything near the $6K that the seller is asking for it. There isn't much else you can do with a hard to read small signed stamp.

On the other hand, I don't like the Babe card at all. I don't know where to start with it. I don't like all of the extra space in the PSA holder, the partial Babe signature or just the look of the cut signature with the extra letters still visible. I also agree with everyone else that I hope this Babe signature was not cut down from a more important document/postcard.

53Browns
06-11-2010, 09:27 AM
I have to believe the Ruth auto was already cut previously. I hate to think he would have it cut just to fit his little "cookie cutter" template.

"Say it ain't so".

David Atkatz
06-11-2010, 09:36 AM
The letter after "Babe" is not an upper-case "R" in Ruth's hand. Either he just signed "Babe," or the "Ruth" was beneath.

gnaz01
06-11-2010, 09:40 AM
The letter after "Babe" is not an upper-case "R" in Ruth's hand. Either he just signed "Babe," or the "Ruth" was beneath.

I have seen that where he wrote "Babe & Claire Ruth"

autograf
06-11-2010, 09:43 AM
I too like the Cobb card for what it is. They were both 'created' or hatched or born or whatever with the intent of capitalizing on the 1/1 craze even though the Cobb shows /99 on the front. Not really a smart move there. I'd have found another card with no numbering like the Ruth.......definitely don't agree with it but just a continuing sign of the times.

PolarBear
06-11-2010, 09:58 AM
I like the Cobb, it's not a "cut" signature. It's an intact stamp and looks good mounted on the card. It's a 1939 "100th Anniversary of Baseball" by the way.

Bester
06-11-2010, 10:13 AM
I really don't see the issue with either of these autographs (unless he cut the Ruth auto in half).

What's the difference between these and a cut autograph slapped on the back of an index card?

T206Collector
06-11-2010, 11:13 AM
I really don't see the issue with either of these autographs (unless he cut the Ruth auto in half).

What's the difference between these and a cut autograph slapped on the back of an index card?

I think the intent is to make it look like officially issued cards.

FUBAR
06-11-2010, 11:13 AM
See if you cut the signature in half, then you can make two cards.... Somewhere out there is a "Ruth" card to go with the "Babe" card

idiots!

fkw
06-11-2010, 11:14 AM
"Babe &"

jb217676
06-11-2010, 11:23 AM
It's very upsetting to see a rare Upper Deck card treated this way!:D

Bester
06-11-2010, 12:35 PM
I think the intent is to make it look like officially issued cards.

If that is the case, then it would be a little slimey. His prices are a bit outrageous as well. :eek:

GrayGhost
06-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Um, yeah, I think we know its a 100th anniversary of baseball stamp. ha. I do agree a bit more now that it would be a harder item to display in another way (the stamp). I still don't like the artificial card and especially the Ruth.

Exhibitman
06-11-2010, 01:36 PM
The Ruth happens to be a lousy looking effort (the Cobb isn't bad) but there are some really nice custom-made cards out there. I don't see anything nefarious about it; I really don't think they were done to pass as Topps or UD cards but instead simply used the Topps and UD cards as bases for the work. IMO customizing a card out of a cut offers a very nice route for preserving and presenting a cut autograph, especially where the cut is on a scrap of paper or other item that is not very appealing in and of itself. I have several autographs that I collected on the backs of my business cards or on other pieces of paper and I've often considered having them made into custom cards so they would display nicely.

Matthew H
06-11-2010, 02:28 PM
They both look horrible to me. The Cobb would be cool if it weren't for the numbering /99.

Still, this is not as bad as the card companies destruction of pre-war GU bats.

Every time I see one of those 1/1 bat barrel cards I cringe. They should just put a redemption card for the whole bat and let people chase that.

quinnsryche
06-11-2010, 03:21 PM
They both look horrible to me. The Cobb would be cool if it weren't for the numbering /99.

Still, this is not as bad as the card companies destruction of pre-war GU bats.

Every time I see one of those 1/1 bat barrel cards I cringe. They should just put a redemption card for the whole bat and let people chase that.

Upper Deck tried that years ago. They gave away entire jerseys and bats. Problem was they were so valuable that most people couldn't afford the taxes incurred and had to sell the items just to cover the money the government was charging. I remember a story about the guy who won the Lefty Grove jersey in particular, he wanted to keep it but just couldn't afford it. A real shame, maybe that's why they cut 'em up.

David Atkatz
06-11-2010, 07:27 PM
I have seen that where he wrote "Babe & Claire Ruth"

Exactly right; that's an ampersand (in Ruth's hand) after "Babe."

Rob D.
06-11-2010, 07:30 PM
They could have just erased the "Claire" portion.

Peter_Spaeth
06-11-2010, 07:31 PM
They could have just erased the "Claire" portion.

Dick Towle could have done that. JUST JOKING DICK. :D:D

Pup6913
06-13-2010, 08:39 PM

I might buy a few boxes of shiny stuff for that:D

you should pitch it to the companies!!

HexsHeroes
06-15-2010, 05:41 AM

Perhaps this will become part of his next "create a collectable card", and be a companion piece to the Cobb:

http://www.huntauctions.com/live/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=27&lot_num=370&lot_qual=

Actually, there are several other signed Baseball Centennial stamps in the current Hunt's 7-13-2010 Live Auction. Not all are nicely signed in the center of the stamp, but why limit creativity to between the borders.

Of course, I say all this in jest, and with a touch of fear.