PDA

View Full Version : OT-Appalachian Trail

GaryPassamonte
06-10-2010, 08:34 AM
This is an update on my AT adventure. I am currently in Pennsylvania, about 30 miles from New Jersey and have completed 1250 miles with 930 miles to go. I have seen all kinds of wildlife, including bear and, recently, a rattlesnake. If all goes well I hope to complete the Trail in mid August. With my 3/16 start, this would be a total of about 5 months hiking time. I hope these 53 year old legs hold up.

barrysloate
06-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Hi Gary- you're not too far from Brooklyn right now.:)

Hope you are holding up. The weather got cooler and that should work in your favor.

judsonhamlin
06-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Good luck - I hike the NJ portion of the AT and enjoy the area. If you are lucky, tou can spot otter along the Blue Mountain Lakes area of the trail.

bbcard1
06-10-2010, 09:09 AM
I love Devil's Marbleyard on the AT near Natural Bridge...good as it gets! Did Dragon's tooth with my hound dog last fall...he slept the whole next week.

D. Bergin
06-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Holy Crap, what a great accomplishment for anybody.

My family usually hikes every weekend and we've talked about the Appalachian Trail but never dreamed about being able to do the whole thing.

My goal for now is to get up to Mount Washington in New Hampshire in the next year and pick a trail to hike to the top and back.

ibuysportsephemera
06-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Bill Bryson wrote a great book called " A walk in the Woods" about his hike on the Appalachian Trail.

Jeff

pete zouras
06-10-2010, 11:25 AM
I was just thinking about that (Bryson's book). He didn't make it all the way. Parts of it were very funny, especially his encounter with a bear where he almost sh*ts his pants.

AndyG09
06-10-2010, 02:42 PM
I did a few days on the AT a couple of years ago. I started at Bear Mountain park in NY. Anybody who puts that kind of time and dedication into completing the AT is an animal in my mind. Great work, Gary!

tedzan
06-10-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure if this counts....in my younger days when I was in the Air Force (stationed in Northern Maine)
I combined driving with hiking from the Delaware Water Gap (PA) to Mt. Katahdin in Maine (the Northern-
most tip of the AT).

Quite an adventure and scenery.

TED Z

Peter_Spaeth
06-10-2010, 04:12 PM
I've walked sections of the trail in North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Massachusetts and Maine (Katahdin is really spectacular, much of it above the treeline) but to do the whole thing or even as much as you have done already is a tremendous accomplishment, at any age.

Chris Counts
06-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Way to go, Gary. I hope to walk the length of the trail one day. What an amazing adventure ...

oriolesbb6
06-10-2010, 07:03 PM
You will walk about a thousand yards from my house in a day or so.....

GaryPassamonte
06-17-2010, 01:53 PM
As fast as it starts it ends. I have decided to end my hike. I have seen little improvement in the infection I have and after staying in a hotel in Pa for 5 days at $100. a day, I have come home to western NY. The time off has sapped my will to continue on the Trail. I am proud of the 1250 miles I've covered and awed by the entire experience. Now, back to baseball cards!

Peter_Spaeth
06-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Even though you stopped short of your goal, still an admirable accomplishment. Go back and finish it some other time, there is some great scenery in the New England sections.

Jason Carota
06-17-2010, 02:45 PM
The AT will always be there. Congrats on a great accomplishment!!!

Leon
06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Hey Gary
There will be another day. It's best to be safer than sorry especially concerning an infection. Hope to see you in Baltimore if you make it? I really enjoyed our fairly long conversation with Corey (near the snack areas) at the last National.

barrysloate
06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
I spoke to Gary a couple of days ago and he sounded in good spirits and proud of his accomplishment...I couldn't even drive 1250 miles!

Kawika
06-17-2010, 03:13 PM
I used to know a gal a long time ago who tried to walk from the Mexican border to the Canadian line along the Sierra and Cascades. She had to abandon her attempt about 80 miles shy of British Columbia. Her knee gave out; she just couldn't go on. No shame. I'm an old Sierra backpacker myself. I know what twenty or thirty miles of rugged trails under a heavy load does to a body. 1250 miles! Good lord, man! I tip my hat to you.
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/family/whodaguy/websize/32%201983%20Paiute%20Pass%20Sierra%20Nevada.jpg

D. Bergin
06-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Still, a wonderful attempt. You made it much farther then a vast majority who actually attempt it.

I will be up hiking all around Acadia National Park in Maine near the end of next month, but will be spoiled by the knowledge I will be crawling into a nice warm bed in a comfortable rental house at the end of every day.

slidekellyslide
06-17-2010, 03:43 PM
How has this thread gone on this long without a South Carolina Governor joke?

GaryPassamonte
06-19-2010, 05:15 AM
Thanks to all for the kind words.
Leon- I will be in Baltimore and I look forward to seeing you.