PDA

View Full Version : T206 Honus Wagner PSA 8

ichieh
06-08-2010, 11:03 PM
i remember reading an article about how the holy grail T206 Honus Wagner PSA 8 was trimmed. What's this site's opinion on that card

FUBAR
06-08-2010, 11:17 PM
i thought it was restored...:confused:

fkw
06-08-2010, 11:18 PM
At one time is was cut down from its original size, that was probably cut from a sheet and never made it into a pack if cigs.

There has been quite a few threads on it in the past.

This "before" pic is easily found on the internet (New York Daily News)

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/iteam/docs/images/1wagner.jpg

Wite3
06-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Many threads on this card. It was cut down from a strip or sheet and certainly trimmed. It is absolutely smaller than other t206s.

Joshua

Matthew H
06-09-2010, 12:47 AM
It looks gorgeous in that before picture. I've never seen that!

This year, the equivalent Eddie Plank was auctioned. I believe it was Conlon's card.

People knew this card existed for a long time. I think the two cards were discovered together, right? Funny thing is, Charlie never had the card graded. When REA sent the card to PSA it came back slabbed "authentic".

I don't think these cards came from a strip...

Can you imagine a strip with both the Wagner and the Plank on it? I am going to assume there was no such thing. I do find it odd that the rest of the sheet never surfaced or was referenced. The only other card that matches the history of the PSA 8 Wagner is a Plank card...

If there was another near mint example floating around out there then I don't think this copy would get so much attention.

Peter_Spaeth
06-09-2010, 05:11 AM
I think O'Keeffe's book quoted Bill Hughes, one of the people who graded it for PSA, as saying they knew it was trimmed. I might have read that elsewhere.

botn
06-09-2010, 10:38 AM
I think O'Keeffe's book quoted Bill Hughes, one of the people who graded it for PSA, as saying they knew it was trimmed. I might have read that elsewhere.

Thankfully for the hobby now graders reject all cards which are submitted which they know or believe to be altered in some way. This would have to be an isolated event.

Matt
06-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Thankfully for the hobby now graders reject all cards which are submitted which they know or believe to be altered in some way. This would have to be an isolated event.

And thankfully the owners have never submitted the PSA 8 Wagner for a half grade bump.

calvindog
06-09-2010, 10:54 AM

This is troubling. I have known Bill Hughes AND Bill Mastro for a very long time and they are both wonderful human beings. Really great guys. So if one is saying one thing and the other is saying another....well jeepers what am I supposed to think?

tothrk
06-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Wasn't this the first card graded by PSA? Nothing like starting a business to provide authentication and prevent fraud and then knowingly toss your ethics out the window on your very first customer. If I am recalling this incorrectly, I apologize.

botn
06-09-2010, 11:06 AM
This is troubling. I have known Bill Hughes AND Bill Mastro for a very long time and they are both wonderful human beings. Really great guys. So if one is saying one thing and the other is saying another....well jeepers what am I supposed to think?

Consider yourself lucky, Jeff. You could be trying to sort through two opposing opinions made by one person.

Peter_Spaeth
06-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Third paragraph from bottom re Hughes. Rest of story should also be interesting to people unfamiliar with the rumors.

http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_62.html

Rob D.
06-09-2010, 01:22 PM

Just an fyi: "golly" is the new "jeepers."

FUBAR
06-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Just an fyi: "golly" is the new "jeepers."

Only if you say it like Gomer Pyle!

M's_Fan
06-09-2010, 02:30 PM
So what is the highest graded Wagner (or even the best condition but non-graded Wagner) that has not been altered or hand cut, in existence? Anyone have a pic?

Matthew H
06-09-2010, 02:32 PM
So what is the highest graded Wagner (or even the best condition but non-graded Wagner) that has not been altered or hand cut, in existence? Anyone have a pic?

It's not graded and its in Cooperstown.

T206DK
06-09-2010, 02:42 PM
isn't PSA's entire notariety based upon the fact that they graded this card ? there's noway it will ever be determined to be trimmed by anyone associated with PSA or any of the auction houses that sold this card over the years. The trimming story has been circulating since Gretzky owned the card , perhaps even before then.

Matthew H
06-09-2010, 02:44 PM
So what's the difference between hand cut or hand cut then trimmed?

E93
06-09-2010, 03:46 PM

These are candidates:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1989/t206wagnerc.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/i/t206wagnerc.jpg/) http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1488/68151566.jpg (http://img819.imageshack.us/i/68151566.jpg/)

P.S. I have heard of a raw example that borders on NM, but that has not been verified. Both of the above examples are raw.

Anthony S.
06-09-2010, 05:15 PM
So what's the difference between hand cut or hand cut then trimmed?

In this case, about $2,775,000.

tedzan
06-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Regarding T206DK's......"The trimming story has been circulating since Gretzky owned the card,
perhaps even before then."

Dave

Perhaps 1987......when I, and many other dealers at the Willow Grove Show first saw this card.
Of course, it was ungraded back then and we were able to examine it close up. The consensus
of most, who saw it that weekend, was that it was trimmed.

Pennsylvania TED