PDA

View Full Version : Pawn Stars

hunterdutchess
06-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Any one see the new episode of Pawn Stars last night? A man brought in a bunch of Muhammad Ali cards along with some other items and they said that the cards are probably not worth very much do to the sports card crash. I just got back into cards over the last year and have not collected like I do now sence the 90's. Was there really a crash?

-Thanks

deadballera
06-08-2010, 09:07 AM
I did not see the episode last night. I did an episode where someone brought in 5 Pete Rose cards. They were not rookies. They determined the cards to be reprints because he had 5 of them and they looked to be in too good of shape.

Beatles Guy
06-08-2010, 09:08 AM
While I enjoy the show and watch it regularly, they do not know much about cards.

martyogelvie
06-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Yes, I like that show. I didn't see the Ali cards but I remember the Pete Rose cards (not Rookies). I didn't think they were fake.. but I couldn't tell much from where I was sitting...

nebboy
06-08-2010, 09:44 AM
I think this is the set on the Pawn Stars - 1991 All World Boxing Trading Cards Box muhammad ali

http://cgi.ebay.com/1991-All-World-Boxing-Trading-Cards-Box-muhammad-ali-/360269310606?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Boxing&hash=item53e1b96a8e

just junk!!!

Joe Hunter
06-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Yes, I did see the episode last night with the Ali memorabilia. I thought the price the 'stars paid for the items was fair, given the fact they were not authenticated. The crash in cards Rick refererenced was the drop in value of modern cards from their peak in the early '90's. (Big drop, in many cases.)

D. Bergin
06-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Yeah, all the cards were very common overproduced cards.

The Poster was a commonly reprinted closed circuit poster.

As for the autographs, I stay far away from Ali stuff unless I know exactly where it came from. His autograph is common but the bad stuff still outnumbers the good stuff many, many times over...........and some versions of his sig are very easy for a forger to make look pretty convincing, especially a sharpie example.

The record was interesting but probably ruined by a questionable signature.

The other unsigned stuff was common.

I would have personally avoided the collection altogether. I will not say outright the autographs were bad.........but I didn't feel good about them either.

The guy in the show, did look familiar to me.

PWeso81
06-08-2010, 12:51 PM
While I enjoy the show and watch it regularly, they do not know much about cards.

I am with you. Also, I am fine with the "crash in cards" belief. In fact, lets keep it going!

FUBAR
06-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Spread the word... the card market crashed, the have little value anymore.. especially pre 1980's cards.... Im paying a penny a card!!!!

ChiefBenderForever
06-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Between the multiple gloves, photo, and record there was atleast five autos and the guy didn't even hesitate for a second when they said 700.00 he just took the money and ran fake fake and fake.

tinkereversandme
06-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Those Rose cards were authentic. Shows you how little these guys know about some things as was the case with the Gehrig jersey. There was a crash and the crash will forever last as late 1980's and 1990's cards are essentially worthless. A few months ago on eBay, I saw a guy buy (500) 1987 Topps Roger Clemens cards on eBay for one penny and I saw a collection of
(10) 1987 Topps sets sell for $14.

Larry

hunterdutchess
06-08-2010, 04:28 PM
I rember when I was a kid in 89 and I went to the local hoppy shop to buy a set of 89 Topps for $30. The delar told me I should by another one so I could put one in the closet to make money and have the other to look at. Well, that did not work out very well. There use to be four or five card shopps around me here in Detroit and the last one on Woodward just closed a few months ago. Looks like it online or bust!

buymycards
06-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Larry, I have to disagree with you. Even looking through the TV screen it was apparent that the Rose cards were fake. I knew it the minute the guy laid them on the counter.

Rick

rdwyer
06-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Funny, I was watching DEA on Spike TV today. They not only found major drugs but some 80's and 90's Topps, which he said were old school. :)

FUBAR
06-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Larry, I have to disagree with you. Even looking through the TV screen it was apparent that the Rose cards were fake. I knew it the minute the guy laid them on the counter.

Rick

You could tell those were fake the few brief moments they were on tv... you're a better man then I....

packs
06-08-2010, 08:02 PM
They did look pretty fake right away. The images were really fuzzy and it didn't really look like the right card stock.

Matthew H
06-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Funny, I was watching DEA on Spike TV today. They not only found major drugs but some 80's and 90's Topps, which he said were old school. :)

LOL. That is funny.

53Browns
06-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Glad it has finally been confirmed by the greatest source possible, some fat bald guys in a pawn shop in NV, that the baseball card crash is real.

buymycards
06-09-2010, 05:46 AM
Hi Jim,
Over the years I have been burned by some fakes so I am very cautious when purchasing cards. Some of the fakes are very difficult to detect, but these weren't good fakes. They were like some of the counterfeit cards on ebay - one quick glance and you know they aren't any good.

My wife and I were watching that episode of pawn stars and when they showed the first close up of the cards I turned to my wife and said "those are fakes". On the latest episode where someone brought in some Ali autographs I was completely in the dark. I don't know anything about them so I wouldn't have been able to identify the good ones from the bad ones. I am sure that other people on this board could spot them right away.

Rick

Orioles1954
06-09-2010, 08:02 AM
I have handled many, many, many thousands of cards from the 1967 Topps set and those cards were printed differently than other cards from the decade. The QC was all over the place on that issue. TV is probably not the best place to judge if a card is authentic....but those looked real from my perspective and I deal with the idiosyncracies of that set every day.

FUBAR
06-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi Jim,
Over the years I have been burned by some fakes so I am very cautious when purchasing cards. Some of the fakes are very difficult to detect, but these weren't good fakes. They were like some of the counterfeit cards on ebay - one quick glance and you know they aren't any good.

My wife and I were watching that episode of pawn stars and when they showed the first close up of the cards I turned to my wife and said "those are fakes". On the latest episode where someone brought in some Ali autographs I was completely in the dark. I don't know anything about them so I wouldn't have been able to identify the good ones from the bad ones. I am sure that other people on this board could spot them right away.

Rick

the general consensus at the time, from what i remember, is that the cards were real, no one had seen fakes of that card. Afterall, who fakes a 4th year Rose or whatever it was. The board had a thread about the Rose cards and the Gehrig jersey.... Now myself, i have no clue, even if they were in my hand, im not the best at detecting fakes....

Bilko G
06-09-2010, 01:01 PM

haha, i was actually watching that same episode yesterday. There was a bunch of 1991 Upper Deck in sheets as well and the DEA agent said something to the effect of " Hes selling drugs and might not even know hes sitting on a fortune of old Baseball cards". I got a good laugh out of that.

BTW hi guys, my name is Bilko from Calgary. Been reading the boards for years and was a member on the old board, just recently signed up on the "new board" though. Ill probably mainly be a lurker:o