PDA

View Full Version : Crossover Cobb?

53Browns
06-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Has anyone had any luck with crossover from SGC to PSA? I recently bought a Cobb (picture below) which is graded SGC 50, but the card is immaculate. I may be biased but I feel the card is undergraded and was thinking of submitting it to PSA to try and get a better grade. If so, I wasnt sure if I should crack it out of the slab and send it to PSA or if I should submit as a crossover to PSA in the SGC slab? I really value all of your opinions on this. Thanks in advance!

Matt
06-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Conventional wisdom is that PSA has a bias against cards submitted in SGC slabs. Meanwhile, if you think SGC made a mistake, why not resubmit to SGC? If they can't bump it, they'll let you now why it warrants the assigned grade.

glynparson
06-08-2010, 06:41 AM
If you think the card should grade substantially higher you should crack it out. However you are probably missing some wrinkling/creasing that may only be apparent at the peoper angle. You should look at it in a room with only one light source to prevent glares and you will probably see the reason for the grade.

jcmtiger
06-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Here is my Cobb graded by PSA for comparison. But, I find that cards graded by PSA are sometimes overgraded. I'm not sure about this one though, you be the Judge.

Joe

T206Collector
06-08-2010, 07:07 AM
....to call SGC and discuss the grade. The only way that card gets a 50/4 is with a spider wrinkle somewhere.

Peter_Spaeth
06-08-2010, 07:28 AM
Wrinkle. Flip it around under a strong light you will see it, I bet.

M's_Fan
06-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Given that you bought this card, it could have been graded a while ago, and calling SGC doesn't sound promising, as they won't remember the card. You could resubmit it to them, either raw or as is, some folks have recieved bumps, but I think mostly SGC has a rigid set of grading standards that lead to strange results like this.

Your other option would be to submit it raw to PSA.

I would only go through any of this hassle if you were thinking of selling the card, after all, it will be the same card no matter what the label on the slab says...

glchen
06-08-2010, 10:34 AM
FYI, the danger of cracking the card out of the slab is that if it comes back trimmed or altered, you might not be able to get it slabbed again, even if you sent it back to SGC.

Matthew H
06-08-2010, 11:32 AM
I would leave it in the holder and send it to PSA. You can designate the lowest acceptable grade say a 6. They will evaluate the card in the holder and if they feel like they cannot bump your card, they will send it back in the holder with a voucher for your next grading.

If SGC made a mistake I'd imagine that PSA would enjoy correcting it for a possible new customer :)

The idea for resubmitting to SGC is also a good one. For some reason PSA graded cards sell higher than SGC. I assume it is because more people collect PSA registry sets than SGC. It may be worth it to them to pay more for the PSA card than buy the SGC card and possibly downgrade during crossover.

glynparson
06-08-2010, 06:44 PM
It is VERY VERY EASY to tell a trimmed national game or Tom Barker anyone that has ever seen one should no if one has been trimmed. You have nothing to lose crack it out, but I am almost gaurateeing (99.9% CHANCE) a wrinkle/crease

packs
06-08-2010, 08:03 PM
How are cards with rounded corners downgraded? If corners are completely taken out of the equation, barring a crease or stain, what makes one card a 10 and another a 7?

Matthew H
06-08-2010, 08:24 PM
How are cards with rounded corners downgraded? If corners are completely taken out of the equation, barring a crease or stain, what makes one card a 10 and another a 7?

Rounded corners can still get damaged

53Browns
06-09-2010, 05:40 AM
Thanks for all the feeback everyone. The only thing I can think og is that most of you are right, there must be a slight wrinkle/crease in there. But the slab must be concealing it somehow because last night I held that thing under the light of one lamp and studied for 20 minutes. I must have looked at it from every possible conceived angle. Nothing visible to these eyes and I have 20/20. Dunno.

JasonL
06-09-2010, 02:58 PM
I mean, that thing has some significantly rounded corners! :D

in all seriousness though, I would crack and submit to PSA raw. I firmly believe biases do exist, as the graders are humans.