PDA

View Full Version : help needed vintage team Minglewood

RUBYEGLE
06-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Could anyone out there help with info on this player,team , date, etc. What I know so far it is a photo of my grand father's baseball team. His name was John Anderson ( Oct. 9, 1873-April 6, 1916) from North Lawrence, Ohio married to Jane Mossop 1896. He is in the front row second from the right.The name of the N.L. team was Minglewood. My older brother thinks the photo was taken around 1909 or 1910. But that would make him 37 yr. old, so I think it may have been taken earlier. My brother also thinks he remembers that he played in Pittsburg or Philly Pa. May have been a farm team.
Since my dad was only 4 when he died we don't have much information. I have hunted all around on the web but can't find anything on the team or him as a player. Any help would be great.

barrysloate
06-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Hi- great piece of family history, but these photos can be tough to research. Based on the fact that your grandfather was born in 1873, and you feel he couldn't have been as old as 37 in the photo, then the image is more likely from about 1905. Very few men sported mustaches in 1910, as can be seen from all the tobacco and candy card issues from that year.

This is clearly a town team and there were likely thousands of them in the first decade of the century. Chances of finding much about them is slim. You are fortunate that the uniforms say Minglewood. I know I haven't offered too much information but like I said it will take some real detective work here.

It's great to have an ancestor who played organized baseball.

Chris Counts
06-07-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't know how many Minglewoods there are out there, but there's one just outside of Memphis, Tennessee that's famous because of the song, "New Minglewood Blues." The Grateful Dead did a version of it on their first album, which is the only reason I've heard of it ...

"If you're ever in Memphis, better stop by Minglewood
The women down there, they don't mean a man no good ..."

bmarlowe1
06-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Based on the style of the 2 visible fielders gloves (uncluding one held by your grandfather), the wide cloth belts (back row far right and 2nd from right) with the tiny buckles (seen in player front row far left) - I would say it has to be pre-1900. Early 1890's seems like a good bet to me.

There are people who know how to date the business suits - I do not.

slidekellyslide
06-07-2010, 09:47 PM
I too believe this photo pre-dates 1900. I'm thinking late 1890's. Can't tell you anything about the team though.

E93
06-07-2010, 10:11 PM
I said a couple shots of whiskey
women round here start looking good,
A couple more shots of whiskey,
I'm going down to Minglewood.

- from the sublime lyrics of the Grateful Dead version.
JimB

barrysloate
06-08-2010, 04:36 AM
Wow, I missed the Grateful Dead reference. My bad. And I still think this photo may be post-1900. But the difference between 1898 and 1902 is admittedly small.

smokelessjoe
06-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Hi Ruby,

Not sure if this is your grandfather??? But thought you might find this interesting. Below is a link to an injury report for Ohio coal mines. You will notice on page 66 of the journal, a reference to a "John Anderson" from the Minglewood Coal Mine located in North Lawrence, Ohio. It states
"January 18, 1888 John Anderson, at Minglewood mine, Stark county; back hurt by fall of slate."

I know this does not help much with your baseball research, but still intriguing if it is your grandfather.

https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/1811/32579/1/OH_MIN_JNL_v18_056.pdf

Shawn

timn1
06-08-2010, 08:29 AM
We assume pictures like this depict "town teams," but a "mine team" seems equally plausible. And even though John Anderson is a common name, the fact that the mine was in the same town as the poster's grandfather is pretty compelling. I note JA, if it is the same one, was in the mines at only 15 years old. Makes you realize we don't have things so bad in comparison a hundred years later.

oldjudge
06-08-2010, 10:09 AM
The Minglewood Coal Company was based in Wellston, OH about 190 miles from North Lawrence, OH. Sounds like it was a company team.

RUBYEGLE
06-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Dear Barry, Your sure right on the research... tough going. Thanks for the tip on the mustaches, dates and town teams. Yes sports have been passed down in our family. My dad played in the minors and my brother played and loved baseball but went pro in football. I'm sure my grandfather would have loved him making pro in any sport though. Thanks again for all your help, Ruby

RUBYEGLE
06-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Dear Chris and Jim, Thanks for your tip on Minglewood, Tenn. That was a thought till Shawn told me about the mine named Minglewood in my grandfathers home town. Thanks for your interest and it is a very good song too, Ruby

RUBYEGLE
06-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Dear Mark, Thanks for the tips on the gloves, belts and buckles. I didn't think about the suits I'll look into that next. Thanks, Ruby

RUBYEGLE
06-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Dear Dan, Thanks for your help and interest. Ruby

RUBYEGLE
06-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Dear Tim, Your sure right Shawn did hit a good one. My great grandfather was also named Jonh Anderson and also worked in that mine so might have been either. My great grandfather came from the mined of England to work in the mines in Ohio to make a better life for his family. So true we have it so much better than they did. They all worked so hard at such a young age so we could all go to school and become teachers and bussiness owners in our family. But we as they did always had the love of baseball. Thanks for your interest. Ruby

RUBYEGLE
06-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks OLDJUDGE for your help on the Minglewood mine and your interest. Ruby