PDA

View Full Version : Help needed photo vintage N.L. Minglewood

RUBYEGLE
06-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Could anyone out there help with info on this player,team , date, etc. What I know so far it is a photo of my grand father's baseball team. His name was John Anderson ( Oct. 9, 1873-April 6, 1916) from North Lawrence, Ohio married to Jane Mossop 1896. He is in the front row second from the right.The name of the N.L. team was Minglewood. My older brother thinks the photo was taken around 1909 or 1910. But that would make him 37 yr. old, so I think it may have been taken earlier. My brother also thinks he remembers that he played in Pittsburg or Philly Pa. May have been a farm team.
Since my dad was only 4 when he died we don't have much information. I have hunted all around on the web but can't find anything on the team or him as a player. Any help would be great. At Rubyegle@aol.com. Thanks

olsport
06-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Hey Hey- Just wanted to reply with what little info I do know & other info needed. The gloves pictured are early crescent heeled from the 1890s. The uniforms are also from the same era, with that type of pointed ended collars.
Please give any and all info on this photo. Like is it a reproduction, from later than the 1890s? Is it mounted on a piece of heavy cardboard mounting? and if so what does the cardboard coloring, edging, look like? Is there anything stamped on the cardboard mount, liker a photographers name, and the city he was from? This looks like they cropped off the bottom of the photo so you can't see the bats and mask? The original photo would be an albumen print, with brownish coloring. What does the back of the mount look like, and what (if any) writing on it? I would recommend trying to look through spalding guides from the 1890s to see if the team is in there, though most were larger teams in minor and major leagues. Or try reaching the baseball hall of fame research library? but I am not sure what or how much they do? Please post much more detailled info. Thanks

barrysloate
06-07-2010, 06:26 PM
As I said on the main board it looks a little later than the 1890's to me. Maybe circa 1900. I know we're splitting hairs, but it doesn't have that 19th century look (I think these two threads should be combined).

smokelessjoe
06-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Hi Ruby,

Not sure if this is your grandfather??? But thought you might find this interesting. Below is a link to an injury report for Ohio coal mines. You will notice on page 66 of the journal, a reference to a "John Anderson" from the Minglewood Coal Mine located in North Lawrence, Ohio. It states
"January 18, 1888 John Anderson, at Minglewood mine, Stark county; back hurt by fall of slate."

I know this does not help much with your baseball research, but still intriguing if it is your grandfather.

https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/...NL_v18_056.pdf

Shawn

RUBYEGLE
06-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Dear Paul, Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I'm new on the site and just kept checking my messages. I have it now though. I think my photo is an original as it was always in my grandmothers safe and she passed in 1969. The photo is an 8 x 10 and is not mounted on anything the lighter color around edge is on photo it's self. No bends of folds slightly tan or beige in color. Photo is as shown in my listing an not cut off at bottom. The paper is very shiny on the front of photo and a flat finish paper on back. The back has a photographer stamp that says " THE BUCHEYE AMERICAN 39 E. Market St. Akron 8 , Ohio Fred Mourey , Editor"( Mourey may be Mouicy or something else the 4th and 5th lettersare not clear) maybe it was a newspaper or something and not a photographer. But I haven't been able to find anything either way. My grandfather lived in North Lawrence, Ohio ( which is near Canton and Massillion, Ohio)Stark county.Your idea of photo being in the last 1890's sounds like that might be right, my grandfather would have been 20 years old in 1893. Thanks again for all you help and the tips on where I can look for more info. Haven't found anything else yet. But I'll keep looking maybe something will turn up. Have a Great Day..Ruby

RUBYEGLE
06-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Dear Shawn, What a great tip on the Minglewood mine. We knew there was a mine in North Lawrence but didn't know the name. I would think that is my grandfather the report talks about or maybe his father my great grandfather who was also named John Anderson he would have been 63 at the time. My brother remembers being told that my dad never worked down in the mines because someone in the family got hurt and my grandmother didn't want the same thing to happen to him. And after reading the mine reports I have to agree. The Minglewood mine had almost double the deaths and injuries as any other Ohio mine at the time. How did you ever find this, what a super researcher you are. Maybe my grandfather was on some kind of company team. But we were always told he was in the national minor leagues. They they ment the Miner Leagues...haha family history what a kick..Thanks so much.

RUBYEGLE
06-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Dear Barry, Thanks for your help. I wish I could pinpoint the date better too. He would have been 27 years old in 1900. Not sure how old ball players were in those days. Sorry I'm new at this site and not sure how to combined threads. Thanks again, Ruby