PDA

View Full Version : Opinion

GrayGhost
06-07-2010, 12:30 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/BABE-RUTH-SIGNED-BALL-ORIG-OIL-PTG-UNIQUE-RARE-/220588182301?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Baseball&hash=item335c148b1d

I think that is a striking painting, but the "painted signature"looks awful. Do you think that takes away from the painting in your opinion? Just curious. Scott.

Frank A
06-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Like the painting, but I have to admit, the Ruth sig is awful. It's still a nice item though.

D. Bergin
06-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Nice piece but seems pricey. Granted I know nothing about the artist.

Too bad he used a Coach's Corner ball as an exemplar for the signature portion of the painting.

mr2686
06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
I see what you mean. I'd be looking at that sig the whole time. I think I'd have to pass.

perezfan
06-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Agree it's a distraction. Lots of other ways to spend that kind of dough, as well :rolleyes:

olsport
06-07-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm just giving my opinion, but if I was thinking about buying this there are some things that would make me NOT want it:
1) The entire painting looks whited and bleached out (I know, to look like a baseball), but I think it would look better in brighter colors. Mabye it is, but was photographed at a glaring angle?
2) The ruth signature is weird (as you already mentioned)
3) The likeness of Ruth doesn't look like him that much to me in the face.
4) The ball should be red and BLUE stitching.
5) The price is alot of other fabulous vintage items you could be buying.

It seems as if the artist didn't do his homework.

GKreindler
06-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Hey Scott,

Considering what Barr's work sells for, it might be a bit steep. He's primarily a landscape artist, and works of similar sizes (24x30 and the like) probably retail for about $3500. If you're interested in buying it for investment purposes, I don't necessarily think this is an exemplary painting of his (not that I should be saying stuff like that).

However, if the image really speaks to you for some reason, then you might really want to consider going for it. I mean, I agree about the signature and the stitching, but to me it's not the hugest deal in the world. I feel like they don't necessarily take anything away from the image of Ruth. I guess a good question to ask yourself is: money aside, would you be upset to see the painting on a wall that isn't your own?

Just some food for thought...

Graig

PhilNap
06-07-2010, 10:43 PM
For that price you can commission a decent sized Kreindler which will be far more detailed and you won't be able to stop looking at it. Sure you will have to get in line and wait a while for it but it will be worth the wait. I'm not just saying this because he is a contributor to the board. In fact I'm not big fan of the threads where everyone gathers for the sole purpose of singing the praises of another board member. All I'm saying is the dude's work is sick and any lover of baseball art would do well to own one.

GrayGhost
06-08-2010, 05:17 AM
I posted this just to get opinions. Obviously if I had the means. Graig would be the way to go, as his work is stunning. I guess I just liked the design and wanted some opinions on that particular painting.

drc
06-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I'd prefer the signature not be there, but it is an interesting painting.