PDA

View Full Version : 1933 Goudey Reprints

Reno
06-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the boards. I'm really looking forward to increasing my vintage knowledge. Does anyone know the best way to spot a 1933 goudey reprint of the ruth red and yellow background cards? I'm working a deal for one or both and want to make sure they're not the reprint. Thanks!

Steve

Leon
06-07-2010, 11:59 AM
There is an section (icon) for detecting fakes on our board. It's the 2nd icon from the top right.....the one that says detecting alterations and reprints. There is even a section on Goudeys. regards

http://net54baseball.com/forum/content/goudey.html

Reno
06-07-2010, 12:11 PM
There is an section (icon) for detecting fakes on our board. It's the 2nd icon from the top right.....the one that says detecting alterations and reprints. There is even a section on Goudeys. regards

http://net54baseball.com/forum/content/goudey.html

Thanks for the reply. I had actually already read that page it only really talks about triming and edges. Unfortunately, the cards are not in hand and all I have to go on is a scan. THanks

JP
06-07-2010, 12:18 PM
33 Goudey reprints are some of the most sophisticated in the hobby. The best way to avoid buying reprints is to only buy graded ones. And if you MUST buy raw ones, then the reputation of the seller is the best indication of whether a card is a reprint or not. There really is no single defining way to identify 33 Goudey reprints as there are many variations. I personally NEVER touched an unencapsulated one from this set.

53Browns
06-07-2010, 12:20 PM
I wouldnt buy one from a scan unless you KNOW the dealer is extremely reputable and has some skin in the game. Reprints to me are like toilet paper. Actually, I think more highly of toilet paper.

drc
06-07-2010, 12:23 PM
I'd recommend being extra careful with those cards, as they are commonly reprinted and faked and the subject of scams. If you're not sure I'd pass. The cards aren't rare, so you will be able pick them up down the road some time. If they're bargained priced, I'd be even more careful. If they're real, it would benefit both the seller and buyer to get them professionally graded.

Authenticating Goudey Ruths in hand isn't hard, but for a beginner and scans only I'd recommend care. If the seller has a good reputation and is knowledgeable, then I might say it's okay.

Reno
06-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Ok, thanks for the insight guys. Kind of figured I should be really careful. I'll suggest to the other party we get them graded or authenticated first and then try to make a deal.
Thanks!

drc
06-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Just so you know, other cards, including the T206s, are much easier to judge from a scan. If you posted good pics of a T206 Ty Cobb here, you'd get good judgments.

fkw
06-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Post the scans here, front and back.

If they are fairly large and good quality you can tell if they are authentic usually.

Reprint..... There are certain place to look to see if the image is cropped, and then you would look at color (especially the shadows of face), and then look at the general wear. Authentic Goudeys will wear differently than a reprint, even if faked. Back of card, there are things to look for and place to look too (ie scuffing between the words GOUDEY GUM CO. and BOSTON where the word "reprint" was removed).

The hardest fakes to see in a home made fake made from the scan of an authentic card.

If you are new to R319/R320, buy some $8 G/VG cards and look at them closely, look at the card stock (thickness, lack of gloss) and the way they were printed, and how they naturally wear/age.

Ladder7
06-07-2010, 12:45 PM
...Does anyone know the best way to spot a 1933 goudey reprint of the ruth red and yellow background cards?

Look closely at 100 of the graded ones first.

smtjoy
06-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Be careful even if they are graded, I am pretty sure this one of the cards used in the craigslist scams, which are fake cards inside fake slabs.

Reno
06-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Here are the fronts...

http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn114/Sara_Beth_26/Vintage/

Ladder7
06-07-2010, 02:14 PM
counterfeit

vintagebaseball
06-07-2010, 02:41 PM
I would stay away, those look to be fakes.

JP
06-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Fake. Pixelation, color, all wrong....

terjung
06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
I can't say with absolute certainty, but I'd have to say more likely than not that those are fake.

Reno
06-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Ok, thanks for the input guys. I'll be staying clear of these. Thanks!

fkw
06-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Both are reprints. I call these Raccoon Reprints because the shadow in the eyes of Ruth are way too dark and give him a raccoon look.

drc
06-08-2010, 01:28 AM
They are both reprints. The real cards don't have that dot/pixilation pattern throughout.