PDA

View Full Version : Coach John Wooden has just passed away at 99...

thekingofclout
06-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Simply the greatest coach of all time, in any sport, college or pro...

jrog007
06-04-2010, 08:24 PM
....and a class act all the way. He will be missed!!!

Rob D.
06-04-2010, 08:27 PM
My condolences to his family.

ethicsprof
06-04-2010, 08:27 PM
i do remember watching him coach aeons ago.
a true gentleman.
my sympathy to family and friends,

best,
barry

Rich Klein
06-04-2010, 08:59 PM
In the 1990's; when many of the Beckett analysts were also autograph chasers; John Wooden came to Dallas and many of the guys picked up graphs which Wooden graciously signed.

One of the cards featured John and his beloved Nell. From what I was told; Mr. Wooden looked at the card; choked up a bit and said; you know that was the only woman I was ever with and will be the only woman I was ever with.

Rare to find such dedication to being faithful, especially from one who was so successful. Mr. Wooden led a great life, and may he truly RIP and may he and Nell be reunited quickly

Regards
Rich

GrayGhost
06-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Condolences to his family and friends. one of the last few true living legends in coaching.

rc4157
06-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Sad to hear, Wooden was one of the classiest guys in the business.
Not much more to say.

RC

GasHouseGang
06-04-2010, 11:20 PM
A real man of class and a great human being. We are all diminished by his passing.

sbfinley
06-05-2010, 02:40 AM
The world was a better place yesterday.

RIP

barrysloate
06-05-2010, 04:32 AM
I've always believed that Coach Wooden was the greatest college coach of all. When I was in high school UCLA and Houston were the two college powerhouses, and I will never forget Lew Alcindor facing Elvin Hayes with a patch over his injured eye, and Houston ending UCLA's 47 game winning streak at the Astrodome. They faced each other again in the NCAA tournament and UCLA crushed them by over 30 points. UCLA was an institution and John Wooden was the captain.

I even thought of Wooden recently, as I knew this October he would have turned 100. I was rooting for him to get there but it didn't happen.

One of my favorite Wooden stories was that Bill Walton showed up at first practice of the season with his hair down to his shoulders. Coach Wooden asked him about it, and Walton replied it was an important political statement and that he had no plans to cut it. Coach replied that he greatly admired Walton for being a man of convictions, but asked if he felt his teammates would miss him. Walton was confused, what did coach mean by that? Wooden replied that Bill would have to sit out the season because long hair was not permitted on the team. The next day Walton returned to practice with a short haircut. Such was the respect everyone had for John Wooden.

He will be missed, and there will never be another like him. RIP.

thekingofclout
06-05-2010, 07:05 AM
The world was a better place yesterday.

Absolutely spot-on Steve.

oldjudge
06-05-2010, 09:53 AM
A great coach and an even greater person. Two of the better people who have ever walked the face of the earth, John Wooden and Ernie Harwell, have left us this year. Rest in peace gentlemen.

esehombre
06-06-2010, 05:18 AM
"You can't live a perfect day until you do something for someone who will never be able to repay you"

John Wooden--1910-2010...the most beautiful human being I have ever known.

Thanks Barry for sharing the Bill Walton story--those are the best. One of my favorites is Bill's recollection of the first meeting he had with Coach Wooden while he was a senior in high school:

There had been several coaches who came to visit Bill before Wooden and they promised him everything under the sun--needless to say he was eager to hear what the "great coach from UCLA" would have to offer. John told him "Unfortunately Bill, I cannot match those promises--in fact, I cannot even promise you will make the team. You must first prove yourself as a man of character--and then you will have to meet the strict UCLA curriculum requirements--and they are tough. Once you do that, you will be outfitted with a practice uniform and allowed to try out for the team".

barrysloate
06-06-2010, 05:28 AM
There are so many great Wooden stories. Many who played for him said he had a mystical quality.

E93
06-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Echoing what everybody else said, the world is definitely a lesser place with him. RIP.
JimB

barrysloate
06-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Psst Jim..."without" him:)

alanu
06-07-2010, 10:05 AM
When I was in high school I read John Wooden's book "They Call Me Coach", it was the best book I had ever read, and remains one of my favorites to this day.