PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on a purchase please.

Pup6913
06-03-2010, 06:05 PM
While out of state I found some items from a guy I contacted that I really like. The thing is the prices seem low and I have no clue if they are good or not as I do not mess with these items.

Are the 3 cards good?

Is the Moxie sign good? and for $150??

Also the Ruth statue is a door stop? Any ideas of value on this. Verry heavy and still in good shape.

Thanks for the help guys:)

Pup6913
06-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Sorry I forgot this one also.

benchod
06-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I would be very wary
all those items have been reproduced

lharri3600
06-03-2010, 06:22 PM
nice find andrew!!

asoriano
06-03-2010, 06:29 PM
The Fro-Joy and Geo. H. Ruth Candy are definitely fake.

I'd stay away from all of the material.

Pup6913
06-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Is there any identifiers that can separate real from fake???

marvjung
06-03-2010, 06:31 PM
If I recall, the Fro-Joy stuff is notorious for being faked or counterfeited, which is why PSA won't grade them. Honestly, I'd be wary on the Ruth material.

The door stop looks....well, at least from the distance the picture is taken, a bit off; more specifically, I know of similar door stops that were made to look old, when actually they were not and the Ruth door stop looks to have the same patina; a made-to-age look.

I don't know enough about the sign to comment.

JP
06-03-2010, 06:32 PM
There should be a stamp on the bottom of the Ruth statue. What does it say?

Leon
06-03-2010, 06:33 PM
At least the cards and the other Babe Ruth paper item look to be fake...

Pup6913
06-03-2010, 06:33 PM
If I recall, the Fro-Joy stuff is notorious for being faked or counterfeited, which is why PSA won't grade them. Honestly, I'd be wary on the Ruth material.

The door stop looks....well, at least from the distance the picture is taken, a bit off; more specifically, I know of similar door stops that were made to look old, when actually they were not and the Ruth door stop looks to have the same patina; a made-to-age look.

I don't know enough about the sign to comment.

Well I do know the door stop is worn and does not look aged falsely just used. The ruth cards is more what I am concerened about

Pup6913
06-03-2010, 06:35 PM
There should be a stamp on the bottom of the Ruth statue. What does it say? I dont know because I didnt look. Should be around in the next few days and can get a pic. What should it say? Is it stamped or engraved in??

B O'Brien
06-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I am no pro in the Ruth items, but be carefull as the Fro Jo stuff is more often fake than real. Not worth the chance of a burn on those.

The Ted Moxie looks OK from the pic. It is hard to describe what makes it good, but you can get a feel from the stock and print aging. Also the wear that the Moxie sign shows, appears to be old damage. Old damage and fake (new) damage age a little different, if that makes sense. I would say 75/25 the Moxie is real from that shot. The other stuff has a pretty poor chance of being good.

Just my opinion,
Bob

JP
06-03-2010, 06:45 PM
I dont know because I didnt look. Should be around in the next few days and can get a pic. What should it say? Is it stamped or engraved in??

Should be a stamp. And the repos rarely have the original manufacturer and date on them. Should have contours that extend out from the base rather than in.

slidekellyslide
06-03-2010, 08:44 PM
I'd stay away from that Moxie sign too. I wouldn't trust any item from someone that has that much counterfeit stuff.

Pup6913
06-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the guidance guys. I will avoid it.

fkw
06-03-2010, 09:30 PM
All Fake IMO
Thats your average antique mall or flea market display.

The cards/grading company are garbage, the modern doorstop is common $25 item on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sultan-Swat-Babe-Ruth-Doorstop-Book-End-/320539691595

The Moxie sign might be real but they are known to faked too.

buymycards
06-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Be careful with the door stop. I see these fairly often. I purchased one a few years ago and had it examined by someone that I considered an expert, and he determined that it might have been a 1960's item, but no older than that. Fortunately, I was able to get my money back on the door stop.

Rick

53Browns
06-07-2010, 06:41 AM
As the previous posts state, the Fro Joy and George Ruth Candy company cards are so reprinted and faked that I wouldnt buy one that hasnt already been graded by a major grader. I think we have all been tempted by these at one point or another. I know I have. If they were real would this guy be selling them this cheap? Like the old saying goes, "if it sounds too good to be true...."

I would stay away.

Leon
06-07-2010, 07:35 AM
As the previous posts state, the Fro Joy and George Ruth Candy company cards are so reprinted and faked that I wouldnt buy one that hasnt already been graded by a major grader. I think we have all been tempted by these at one point or another. I know I have. If they were real would this guy be selling them this cheap? Like the old saying goes, "if it sounds too good to be true...."

I would stay away.

If anyone buys any Fro-Joys or 1928 Babe Ruth Candy cards that are raw they certainly must be very careful. I have bought at least a few dozen of them raw and have only had 2-3 turn out to be fake. That being said I am very wary of buying them. You can do it, but you really better have a lot of experience with them (I have quite a bit and it' still hard for me to tell.) I would guess that at least 80%-90% of them that we see being sold are fake.

T206Collector
06-07-2010, 08:08 AM
...it's all junk.