PDA

View Full Version : Northern Kentucky collector's?

53Browns
06-03-2010, 07:02 AM
Does anyone out there collect vintage baseball cards in the Northern KY area? I live in Covington/Taylor Mill area and I know no one that does, in my circle of friends/family/acquaintences.

autograf
06-03-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm in Louisville, just down the road from you a little. There are 3-4 other folks here and I'm sure quite a few in Cincinnati.........

spoof_34g
06-03-2010, 10:50 AM
I am in Nicholasville about eighty miles south of you.

tlwise12
06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm also in Nicholasville!

53Browns
06-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks! It's nice to know there are otjhers out there. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one!

TT40391
06-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Hello I live in Lexington so I am not that far from you.

William

B O'Brien
06-03-2010, 05:14 PM
I used to be in Lexington, but an now in ATL.
Have you all heard the tales of the Rupp family collection? It is told to lie outside Versailles (spelling may be off, been a while since I was up there). A guy I used to deal with sold me a 1951 Redback set (as Bruce would say, it was penultimate condition) that was said to be from the hoard. I think there is at least one old school collector in the area that may know if it is true or false that has been know to show up on the board.
Hope all is well,
Bob

booyahlaw
06-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Wow, nice to see all the Kentucky guys, especially Nicholasville and NKY. I have a lot of family living in Nich'ville and I worked downtown for about 7 months. I live in Ashland, Kentucky now, but my dad lives in Hebron--so I am in NKY alot as well. Shoot me a pm and maybe we can get some local trading/collecting going.

frohme
06-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Glad to hear so many voices from the area - I'm in Louisville as well.

--
Mike

chris
06-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Wow, more guys from KY than I thought. I'm in Louisville and there are several local guys heavily addicted to cards and bourbon. :)

cliftons8
06-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Count me in as another from Louisville. There are a few bat guys down around Murray, Ky.
Lets get a vintage meeting together to buy, sell, trade or just show and tell.

ephus
06-03-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm a bit further south in Bowling Green, KY. Several diehard vintage collectors here.

Tom S.
06-03-2010, 10:01 PM
I live in Erlanger (with an Independence mailing address). :)

FrankWakefield
06-03-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm in Franklin, have lived in B.G., got kids in school at Lexington and Danville so I go through Nicholasville, been to Louisville... lived in Ft. Thomas while in school, and learned to have concern about Newport and Erlanger... Erlanger?? Goodness, Gracious. We gotta get you some help.

So I don't understand, with all of you bluegrass guys, where's the love for the series 6 Old Mill red border cards? I know a couple of you care about 'em. Are the rest of you transplants?

frohme
06-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Hey Frank,

Transplanted - been in Louisville for 10+ yrs now.

Though I prefer the mountains, I joke that I am spending time at or near all the major bodies of water. Atlantic (Fla for first 12 yrs), Gulf (Houston for middle/high school, college in Dallas). Pacific (LA for grad school), The Mississippi (Memphis for 12 yrs) the Ohio (been here since Sep 1999).

I figure somewhere north is in my future as I've yet to make the Great Lakes, but I did spend a couple of summers working on Lake Yellowstone (geothermal studies) - awesome country.

Bluegrass country is definitely nice. On cards, I've been focused so much on T207 and Pirates that I've not had time/energy to look into other (local) pursuits... yet. :rolleyes:

--
Mike

Tom S.
06-04-2010, 02:40 AM
...and have only lived in Erlanger for about 3.5 yrs. (on the good side of town ;) ), after living in the Mpls./St. Paul area for 17 yrs. prior to that.

To be honest, I really don't know much about the T210 Series 6 cards and have not been actively seeking them out. It would seem like a great set for a native Kentuckian to work on though.

Since I grew up in the Chicagoland area, my focus has been to add to my vintage White Sox collection (see below).

booyahlaw
06-04-2010, 06:36 AM
That set is too tough for me. Would love to find some of them though. I also like the Va Valley League from that issue.

If you want to talk 1955 Ashland/Aetna Basketball or Kahn's Basketball, that's where most of my interest lies.

53Browns
06-04-2010, 07:28 AM
I love all the replies guys! Of all of my friends, family, coworkers, etc, NO ONE collects!!! It's frustrating. The only friend I had (my best friend) who l collected vintage with, died several years back. For example, the other day I bought my first Cobb. I was pretty pumped when I pulled it out of the mail but I have no one I can show who will appreciate it. Just trying to tag up with a local collector or two just to have someone to talk to locally, maybe go to a card show together once in awhile or just chat on the phone or via email. That's why I am so grateful I found Net54. Even though I may never meet most of you, it's nice to know there's other vintage cardboard junkies out there as well!