PDA

View Full Version : Move over, Don Denkinger

Oldtix
06-02-2010, 06:55 PM
An unbelievable missed call in Detroit costs a perfect game!!@!!

Since it would have been the final out, can the commissioner override the call and make it right??????????

slidekellyslide
06-02-2010, 07:30 PM
An unbelievable missed call in Detroit costs a perfect game!!@!!

Since it would have been the final out, can the commissioner override the call and make it right??????????

Nope...it's in the record books as a one-hitter which is just heartbreaking for Gallaraga. He seemed to take it pretty well though. Jim Joyce on the other hand will unfortunately go down with Denkinger as a goat. If I'm the ump at first base on the final out of a perfect game and it's that close I err on the pitcher's side. Not sure how Joyce will be able to ump in tomorrow's 1 PM game...I'm betting he'll be replaced for tomorrow's game.

Oldtix
06-02-2010, 07:49 PM
How tragic that justice cannot be justified in the National Pasttime.

The pitcher and the umpire feel awful, but they can't feel as bad as the Tigers front office...they'd have been printing the unused tickets all night!

sayhey24
06-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Actually, the answer to the question "can the Commissioner overide...?" is absolutely yes he can. The Commissioner has broad discretionary powers. He almost certainly will not get involved as it would set a precedent that would send Major League Baseball down a very slippery slope.

Greg

SmokyBurgess
06-03-2010, 07:19 AM
....and NO...replay should not be brought in for plays such as this.

....and replay should be removed for the home run plays too!

This is baseball...not the inferior sports such as NFL, NHL, NBA, NASCAR, etc.

So I'm a purist...sue me! :)