PDA

View Full Version : Armando Galarraga has Perfect Game Stolen by Bad Call

barrysloate
06-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Well there should have been another perfect game tonight. This is a travesty!

Armando Galarraga retired the first 26 Cleveland Indians. The 27th batter hit a ground ball that the first baseman fielded, and threw to Galarraga covering first. The batter was out by at least a step- and the umpire called him safe. This is one of the worst calls I have ever seen.

Folks, we should have had yet another perfect game tonight!

wolfdogg
06-02-2010, 06:54 PM
How can an ump be so blind.......Tigers' Galarraga misses perfect game by one out.....or should I say by a blind ump........he would have had to eject me after that call.....along with about half the team

barrysloate
06-02-2010, 06:55 PM
We posted this simultaneously. Outrageous call!!

calvindog
06-02-2010, 06:55 PM
The Austin Jackson catch, an over the shoulder running catch of the first out of the 9th, was about as great of a catch as I've ever seen, a real miracle catch. And then to see the dumbass ump blow such an easy call after that was a bit sickening.

yanks12025
06-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Almost 3 in one month.

e107collector
06-02-2010, 06:57 PM
I just saw it, what a bad call. That sucks.

Tony

chaddurbin
06-02-2010, 06:57 PM
worst.call.EVER~! selig should do one thing right during his tenure and give him the perfect game.

Oldtix
06-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Don Denkinger has company.

Since it would have been the third out, can the commissioner overrule the call and make it right?

And yes, that outfield catch in the ninth was amazing...

HRBAKER
worst.call.EVER~! selig should do one thing right during his tenure and give him the perfect game.

A dangerous precedent for sure, but in this case I agree. Ranks right up there with the famous "Don Dick-inger" call in the '85 World Series.

barrysloate
Quan- I agree. That's exactly what I was thinking. That was a perfect game. Period!

calvindog
06-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Actually it was better than a perfect game -- it was 28 up and 28 down!!!!

jcmtiger
06-02-2010, 07:03 PM
As A Baseball fan and a Detroit Fan this play sucks! Especially after that great catch in Centerfield. If anyone did not see the play watch ESPN, this will be run for a couple of days. For an umpire to make that call on the last play of a game is a serious problem for the umpires.

Joe

barrysloate
06-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Is there much of a precedent for overturning an ump's outrageously bad call? The George Brett pine tar game comes to mind, but I can't think of another. This call will be talked about for a long time.

yanksfan09
06-02-2010, 07:06 PM
It's the best for baseball that it was blown, we don't need 3 perfect games in one month.

Also what if it was the other way around, umpire called him out but he was safe in the end.

I would respectfully disagree. You can't deny an amazing acomplishment for that reason. And the fact that there have been 3 in about a month is incredible; not anything that's bad for baseball. I would have to assume that nothing like this will ever happen again. 18 in all the years of MLB history only a month ago. What a crazy season this has been. I see nothing wrong with having a storybook baseball season!

Anyone for advocating expanding instant replay now.....

yanks12025
06-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Forget what i said

HRBAKER
06-02-2010, 07:09 PM
It's the best for baseball that it was blown, we don't need 3 perfect games in one month.

Also what if it was the other way around, umpire called him out but he was safe in the end.

Would you feel the same way if it happened to Andy Pettitte? :)

batsballsbases
06-02-2010, 07:11 PM

Brock I have to totally disagree!
The man should be given the credit he is due! He did something that would have been history. I dont care if there were 10 perfect games in one month, he did it and was robbed on a totally bad call. Miguel Cabrera and Jim Leyland were right in giving him the business. If it was me I would have gotten myself thrown out of the game to protect my player! And what a class act Gallaraga was when he called him safe,just smiled and walked away! I dont know if I could have kept my composure like that.

chaddurbin
06-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Actually it was better than a perfect game -- it was 28 up and 28 down!!!!

YAWN (says harvey haddix)

Matt
06-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Not sure which was worse the blown call he made there or the blown call he made in the 8th on what should have been the Tigers 3rd out, allowing them to score 2 extra runs. Obviously his 9th inning call had a greater impact, but his 8th inning call looked pretty bad.

yanks12025
06-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Nothing

nolemmings
06-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Inexcusable. I feel bad for Galarraga, what a hosejob.

What I did like is that he pitched from the windup afterward, with the runner eventually taking second and then third. It was almost as if he was saying "I refuse to believe that there is really a runner there, because that guy was out".

Oldtix
06-02-2010, 07:16 PM
The more I think about it, if the Tigers protest the game the commissioner will have to make a ruling and is sure to overturn the decision. Clearly, the pitcher has been robbed of the celebration but he'll gain immortality.

I'm still in disbelief. I was at Game Six of the 1985 Series and saw the Denkinger call; at least in that one the error didn't end the game. This one is cut and dry.

nolemmings
06-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Oldtix, it is my understanding that an official protest must be registered before the next pitch, or at least not after the game has ended. Also, it is my understanding that you cannot protest a judgment call, only a rules interpretation or other limited call.

I don't think that this one will be rectified.

sox1903wschamp
06-02-2010, 07:20 PM
A perfect (pun intended) way to keep showing that the umps are the center of the universe and it is all about them :). Been a lot of that lately.

But seriously, what a horrific call and brings back memories of Denkinger, Jorge Orta, Todd Worrell, JC and the white rat!

sayhey24
06-02-2010, 07:22 PM
A judgment call by an umpire cannot be protested. That said, the Commissioner has broad powers, but I don't see him stepping in and declaring this a perfect game.
The assertion earlier in this thread that this would be bad for baseball is the strangest and most misguided thing I've heard in a long time.

Greg

batsballsbases
06-02-2010, 07:33 PM
A judgment call by an umpire cannot be protested. That said, the Commissioner has broad powers, but I don't see him stepping in and declaring this a perfect game.
The assertion earlier in this thread that this would be bad for baseball is the strangest and most misguided thing I've heard in a long time.

Greg

Greg,
I totally agree I dont know where Brock was when he was think of that but he should think really hard about what he said. Bad for baseball? How ? In what way is it bad? Yep I guess it would rank right up there with the steroid boys breaking The Maris home run record.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Bad? Give the man the credit he is due for something that is very difficult to acomplish .

yanks12025
06-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Greg,
I totally agree I dont know where Brock was when he was think of that but he should think really hard about what he said. Bad for baseball? How ? In what way is it bad? Yep I guess it would rank right up there with the steroid boys breaking The Maris home run record.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Bad? Give the man the credit he is due for something that is very difficult to acomplish .

So you think it was best for baseball that cheaters took records away from players who earned there records. Maris earned his record, while Bonds, Mark and Sammy cheated to beat the record. Just like Bonds cheated Hank Aaron out of his homerun title.

batsballsbases
06-02-2010, 07:46 PM
So you think it was best for baseball that cheaters took records away from players who earned there records. Maris earned his record, while Bonds, Mark and Sammy cheated to beat the record. Just like Bonds cheated Hank Aaron of the homerun title.

No Brock I said it Sarcastically. (note rollie eyes):rolleyes::rolleyes: The Maris record should stand. Until someone who isnt on the juice is proven to have beat it in the right way. Aarons record should also stand. What Im trying to still figure out from your statement is how 3 perfect game is bad for baseball. Only a moron would have said something like that!

Butch7999
06-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Just looked at it in slo-mo -- utterly routine play, not even close, runner out by almost a full stride. What's "bad for baseball" is umpiring that embarrassingly inept. A beer-league softball ump wouldn't have blown that one.

yanks12025
06-02-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm taken back everything i said because im not going to get in a agruement about stupid stuff. It's just a game.

cubsguy1969
06-02-2010, 07:52 PM
The umpire admitted already that he blew the call. A couple of excerpts from the story on espn.com. It was classy of the kid not to throw a fit.

"I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."
"It was the biggest call of my career," said Joyce, who became a full-time major league umpire in 1989.

Joyce faced a group of hostile Tigers -- led by Leyland -- between the pitching mound and home plate after the final out and was booed lustily by the crowd of 17,738 as he walked off the field.
"I don't blame them a bit or anything that was said," Joyce said. "I would've said it myself if I had been Galarraga. I would've been the first person in my face, and he never said a word to me."

old-baseball
06-02-2010, 07:55 PM
As an Indians fan I was pulling for someone to break up the perfect game. As a baseball fan it's just a shame it had to end the way that it did, especially after the great catch to start the inning. The call that the umpire made at first base was the second blown call in two innings. He also called Damon safe in the bottom of the 8th when he was out and it led to two additional runs for the Tigers.

The home run records still stand with Aaron and Maris as far as I'm concerned.

FrankWakefield
06-02-2010, 07:55 PM
First, I've not seen the replays, and want to see them.

Next, I believe you guys, and have no doubt that this was a crap call.

But I cannot agree with the idea of a protest or of the Commissioner tampering with this. I don't think the call is subject to protest. My recollection of the rules is such that this isn't something subject to a protest. This Commissioner has screwed enough stuff up, both by action and inaction, we really don't want every play and every call subject to fiat decisions of Commissioners.

Come on, guys. Is it a ball or a strike, it ain't nuthin' 'til I call it. There's no crying in baseball.

This was a BS call, it's a damn shame... and that's the end of it. And I agree, it is reminiscent of the 1985 World Series. I was laying in the floor, watching my Cardinals. I just starred at the TV in disbelief. I'm sorry for Mr. Galarraga.

GrayGhost
06-02-2010, 07:57 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8616789

19cbb
06-02-2010, 07:58 PM
The umpire admitted already that he blew the call. A couple of excerpts from the story on espn.com. It was classy of the kid not to throw a fit.

"I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."
"It was the biggest call of my career," said Joyce, who became a full-time major league umpire in 1989.

Joyce faced a group of hostile Tigers -- led by Leyland -- between the pitching mound and home plate after the final out and was booed lustily by the crowd of 17,738 as he walked off the field.
"I don't blame them a bit or anything that was said," Joyce said. "I would've said it myself if I had been Galarraga. I would've been the first person in my face, and he never said a word to me."

This kid is what's good for baseball!
Class act!

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4038/galai.png

JP
06-02-2010, 08:00 PM
(212) 931-7800

You can call and leave a message for the commissioner. Maybe with Joyce admitting he blew the call, they will correct this....

AndyG09
06-02-2010, 08:01 PM
I watched it go down live, and it was sickening. Jackson's catch for the first out in the 9th was absolutely ridiculous. The local broadcast team on Fox Sports went nuts. I thought Rick Sutcliffe made a great point tonight on the Cards-Reds game. "The fans attending that game tonight were cheated out of history." So was Armando Galarraga.

yanks12025
06-02-2010, 08:03 PM
One more thing. If Bud Selig grew a pair of balls to change this play then he should give the records back to other players.

sgbernard
06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
I agree with everyone here: I was watching it on ESPN and was dumbfounded, and now Joyce himself admits he blew it. Selig: do the right thing! (For once...just remembering how a certain All Star game ended a few years ago...Bud has some making-up to do here)

slidekellyslide
06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
It was a bad call, but it should not be overturned by the commissioner. People will remember this game...Armando Gallaraga will be remembered even if he never wins another game. There is human element in baseball and it should remain so. I don't even like that they've added instant replay for homers. I feel sick for that kid who may never pitch another game as good as that one, and I also feel sick for Joyce who will never live this down.

oldjudge
06-02-2010, 08:15 PM
It is a pity that Galaraga was denied his perfect game, but with that being said I would not like Selig to go back and reverse the umpire's decision. Like bad hops, blown calls are part of the game. If the call went the other way, and the last batter was called out when he was really safe, would people be clamoring for Selig to take back the perfect game? After watching replays of the 1956 World Series, I don't think Larsen's called third strike on Dale Mitchell was a strike. Should the commissioner have interceded and replayed the last inning from that point onward? I feel sorry for Galaraga, who is a class act, but I'll take the game like it is, warts and all.

FrankWakefield
06-02-2010, 08:20 PM
I've now seen the replay... one really bad call.

A call that MLB leaves alone. Dan and Jay are right.

I think this isn't subject to protest; and what happens inside the foul lines shouldn't be tampered with by the likes of Mr. Selig, not anyone else who might one day be Commissioner.

calvindog
06-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Having just watched the replay, I wonder if the first baseman had not cut the ground ball off and let it go through to the second baseman, it might have been an easier play to make. Thoughts?

batsballsbases
06-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Jeff,
I thought that myself . Looked like it would have been a much easier play if Cabrera had let the second baseman field it. But as we know from watching TEX field some very hard shots at first base I know its just instinct to go after it and try and make the play.

ErikV
06-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Today's Indians/Tigers game reminds of another "almost"
perfect game: Sept. 3,1972 Chicago Cubs vs San Diego Padres.

Cubs pitcher Milt Pappas threw a 3-2 pitch to Larry
Stahl that was called ball 4. Pappas insisted the umpire blew
the call. Home plate umpire Bruce Froemming insisted he made
the right call.

For the sancitiy of baseball, the comissioner left the call as is.
Hopefully Comissioner Selig also leaves today's call as is.

As for all these perfect games, personally I now see them as
what a no-hitter once was. This feat has been cheapened.
MLB should be renamed MLS (Major League Softball.)

ErikV

insidethewrapper
06-02-2010, 09:08 PM
This was the first 28 out perfect game in history. The official scorer should call an error on the play so at least it would be a no-hitter. He needs to talk with the umpire and if the pitcher (Galagarra) bobbled the ball then an error could be scored on the play. This is insane. The first Detroit Tiger perfect game in history comes down to a blown call on the last play. And yes it was Guillen's (2b) ball and not the Cabrera's to field, but can't blame him for going after it.

slidekellyslide
06-02-2010, 09:14 PM
This was the first 28 out perfect game in history. The official scorer should call an error on the play so at least it would be a no-hitter. He needs to talk with the umpire and if the pitcher (Galagarra) bobbled the ball then an error could be scored on the play. This is insane. The first Detroit Tiger perfect game in history comes down to a blown call on the last play. And yes it was Guillen's (2b) ball and not the Cabrera's to field, but can't blame him for going after it.

There was no error on the play...Galarraga did not bobble the ball...he snoconed it and after the call he opened his glove to let the ball fall into the palm. This game will never be forgotten...people will always remember this as the perfect game that was blown by the ump. It won't go in the record books, but it will be written about for ages.

rc4157
06-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Just saw the video, WOW!, absolutely a shame the kid doesn't kid the perfect game or the no hitter. He handled the post-game interview in a way that very few players could in my opinion.

RC

sbfinley
06-02-2010, 09:30 PM
It is not the fact that umpire blew the call that angers me. It's the fact that he even made the safe call in the first place. I wonder at what point he calls the kid and apologizes.

Don't pull on Superman's cape.
Don't eat yellow snow.
Don't even consider calling a batter safe on a bang-bang play with 2 outs in the ninth of a perfect game. Just all around stupid.

slidekellyslide
06-02-2010, 09:35 PM
It is not the fact that umpire blew the call that angers me. It's the fact that he even made the safe call in the first place. I wonder at what point he calls the kid and apologizes.

Don't pull on Superman's cape.
Don't eat yellow snow.
Don't even consider calling a batter safe on a bang-bang play with 2 outs in the ninth of a perfect game. Just all around stupid.

He already has apologized face to face with Galarraga. Galarraga gave him a hug.

ctownboy
06-02-2010, 11:05 PM
1) THAT was a bad call.

2) For those who don't like the idea of instant replay THAT call might just force baseball to introduce even MORE areas for instant replay.

3) Someone brought up Larsen's perfect game in the World Series and how it ended on a questionable third strike call. Well, that was back then and technology wasn't that great to show whether it was a strike or not. Tonight's call was CLEARLY wrong and the technology is there to prove it.

Also, unlike a bad ball or strike call, Outs on the basepaths CAN be argued about and they CAN be overturned. In this instance, the umpires should have gotten together and discussed things.

Since they didn't overturn it, Selig should grow a pair and overturn the call. It wont change the game because THAT should have been the last out and the Tigers won anyway. Unlike the 1985 World Series when the bad call was made.

David

nolemmings
06-02-2010, 11:21 PM
The umps could and probably should have discussed that call themselves. That opportunity is gone. The play stands.

BTW, the Twins just got used on a blown call in the 10th in Seattle. These (ch)umps had better get their act together or be reminded in no uncertain terms that they are replaceable.

Anthony S.
06-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Ah, for the good ole days when Richie Phillips would have called a press conference tomorrow and insisted that Joyce got the call right.

ctownboy
06-03-2010, 12:40 AM
You know it is a BAD call when the Umpire publicly admits NUMEROUS times he blew the call and he apologizes to the player personally for blowing the call.

If Selig has the cahones to change the call, WHO is going to stand up and complain?

The Tigers know the Ump messed up. The batter knew he was out. THe Unp has said he was wrong, so WHo does that leave to complain?

If this were a disputed play that ended an NFL, NBA or NHL game, the officials would just go to instant replay and get the call right. Since the 28th batter ALSO made an Out and the outcome of the game would NTO be affected by a chagned all, I do NOT see why Selig couldn't change this ONE call.

I mean, WHEN is something like this going to happen again? It has been over 20 years since the Pine Tar game and nothing like THAT has happened since then.

Pro sports are ALWAYS telling kids to "do the right thing". Well, I think Selig changing the call would be the right thing to do and I am not even an American League baseball fan.

David

ctownboy
06-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Oh yeah, one other thing.

With all the crap that has gone on recently with Umpires, I think it would a REAL good PR move on their part if they were to ask Selig to change the call. It would show that they KNEW one of their own messed up and that they were NOT above the game, as some seem to think they are.

David

ethicsprof
06-03-2010, 01:52 AM
a horrible call.
i must say that i do like the ump's sincere tone in his confession.
still doesn't do much for the one who threw the perfect game though.

best,
barry

calvindog
06-03-2010, 04:28 AM
The call shouldn't be changed. One of the 'charms' of baseball is its history of interesting calls, blown calls, statistical oddities; this is one of them. This game will be a part of baseball history more remembered than the great majority of all the perfect games pitched. Once you start changing calls a day after a game is over where do you draw the line?

barrysloate
06-03-2010, 04:56 AM
I also thought that if the second baseman fielded it it would have been a routine play. But the adrenaline is surging in a situation like that so I understand why Cabrera charged the ball. What a shame.:(

Tim Fritz
06-03-2010, 05:39 AM
I agree that I think this will push MLB towards using replay for more than just homerun calls. Watching the fallout will be real interesting. I just can't see how baseball will be able to hold off using it when most other big time sports do.

I don't see how Selig can overturn the call. I think that would set a bad precedent.

pgellis
06-03-2010, 07:17 AM
1) THAT was a bad call.

2) For those who don't like the idea of instant replay THAT call might just force baseball to introduce even MORE areas for instant replay.

3) Someone brought up Larsen's perfect game in the World Series and how it ended on a questionable third strike call. Well, that was back then and technology wasn't that great to show whether it was a strike or not. Tonight's call was CLEARLY wrong and the technology is there to prove it.

Also, unlike a bad ball or strike call, Outs on the basepaths CAN be argued about and they CAN be overturned. In this instance, the umpires should have gotten together and discussed things.

Since they didn't overturn it, Selig should grow a pair and overturn the call. It wont change the game because THAT should have been the last out and the Tigers won anyway. Unlike the 1985 World Series when the bad call was made.

David

So you want to institute instant replay to look at judgement calls like an out at a base? Where does it end? Do you want balls & strikes looked at too? That is a joke, just because a perfect game was lost on a bad call, you want to start looking at everything and you want it overturned?

pgellis
06-03-2010, 07:36 AM
The more I think about it, if the Tigers protest the game the commissioner will have to make a ruling and is sure to overturn the decision. Clearly, the pitcher has been robbed of the celebration but he'll gain immortality.

I'm still in disbelief. I was at Game Six of the 1985 Series and saw the Denkinger call; at least in that one the error didn't end the game. This one is cut and dry.

You can only protest a rules interpretation:

See MLB Rules:

PROTESTING GAMES.
Each league shall adopt rules governing procedure for protesting a game, when a manager claims that an umpire’s decision is in violation of these rules. No protest shall ever be permitted on judgment decisions by the umpire. In all protested games, the decision of the League President shall be final.
Even if it is held that the protested decision violated the rules, no replay of the game will be ordered unless in the opinion of the League President the violation adversely affected the protesting team’s chances of winning the game.

sbfinley
06-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Just caught the start of today's game. I take back everything I said aloud and quietly about Joyce. He's a class act. And he's human.

Butch7999
06-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Just a footnote, and not at all to derail the discussion here, but:

ctownboy: "If this were a disputed play that ended an NFL, NBA or NHL game, the officials would just go to instant replay and get the call right."

The 1999 Stanley Cup Final was decided on an egregiously blown call -- the infamous "No Goal" non-call in sudden-death overtime of Game 6, when Hull, with his foot well inside the crease and the puck well outside it (not merely illegal, but the controversial new rule that had all but defined that season), slid the puck in to wrongly end the game, the series, and the season. Instant replay in the NHL was de rigueur then, sickenly overused in fact and for exactly those sort of infractions, but with the Cup itself at stake, the officials never went to the video on the biggest play of the entire year.

As a footnote to that footnote, consider too the countless plays subjected to video review in the NFL over the past several years. How many times, despite it, have blown calls been held up and even correct calls been overturned? -- including some on huge game-turning, game-deciding plays... Too many to count...