PDA

View Full Version : Meandering

bbcard1
06-02-2010, 06:32 AM
I recently meandered through my collection assembling my t206s for an assault on what I call the Minimonster...I'm simply trying to get one of each major leaguer in the set (may fill out other variations and minor leaguers later).

I am a very good collector, but not a very good organizer. I had a handful of t206s that had gotten into another box somewhere and spent the last couple of days digging. At this point, I am only missing Kelley, who I know I have somewhere. I also think I have a Speaker with a punch hole in it somewhere, but I am probably going to upgrade it. I am starting with better than half a set including the Cobb, Young, Mathewson and Johnson...it's all low grade so I should be able to knock it out eventually.

The upside is I found a lot of interesting stuff I had forgotten I had. One thing that was kind of interesting was a "set" of promotional/educational cards Frank Nagy had put together featuring fairily obscure cards. He evidently did this prior to the advent of the zip code.

I have always collected and see the merit to all eras of ballplayer, but the residue of that is that I sure had to dig through a lot of Todd Heltons.

Do any of you other guys have these problems:

1) a lack of organization that sometimes hampers your collecting goals
2) an occasional moment of "I know I have that card" and an inability to rest until you have found it in your hands. The thing that set me off was I KNEW I had a McGinnity and turns out I did...it just took a lot of digging to find it.

It was fun digging through the stuff I had accumualted...I simply must get more organized.

T206Collector
06-02-2010, 07:24 AM
While I am all over the house, literally, with some of the peripheries of my collection, my raw T206 collection has always been located in one box, in alphabetical order by last name and pose, broken into Major, Minor, Southern and HOF columns. My graded T206 collection has always been located in 40-count SGC boxes. One of my favorite things about getting new T206s to add to my collection is the "ceremonial" alphabetizing -- as if my existing Monster is just swallowing another card meal and digesting it into itself. The stack lives and grows! :eek:

In short, I am basically OCD about my T206 cards (and signed pre-war cards even more so as welll). The rest of my stuff is scattered, uncatalogued and hard to find.

jb217676
06-02-2010, 07:47 AM
All of my graded cards are organized by sport either numerically or alphabetically (T206). Every card is then scanned and uploaded to my web site. Makes it easy to look at my cards without having to take them out of the PSA storage boxes. Anything that isn't a card is digitally photographed or scanned, uploaded to my site and put back on it's shelf, waiting to be dusted!

Robextend
06-02-2010, 07:51 AM
All of my graded cards are organized by sport either numerically or alphabetically (T206). Every card is then scanned and uploaded to my web site. Makes it easy to look at my cards without having to take them out of the PSA storage boxes. Anything that isn't a card is digitally photographed or scanned, uploaded to my site and put back on it's shelf, waiting to be dusted!

Basically same exact system as Jeff's (just substitute SGC for PSA).

Receive the card, scan it, upload to my ImageEvent page, and into an organized SGC storage box.

jb217676
06-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Basically same exact system as Jeff's (just substitute SGC for PSA).

Receive the card, scan it, upload to my ImageEvent page, and into an organized SGC storage box.

Rob, what's an SGC?:D

scooter729
06-02-2010, 08:57 AM
On Sunday, I had seen a golf card on eBay that I thought I owned, but couldn't find in my house. I didn't want to bid if I already owned one, but didn't want to miss out on a seldomly-listed card.

I spent TWO HOURS ripping apart desk drawers and eventually uncovered the card I was looking for! I probably spent three hours the next night putting it all back together, as it was nice to take a look at all the cards as I re-assembled the drawers.

tbob
06-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Absolutely dissheveled, that's the best way to describe my system. I have a current file on my computer listing all graded cards alphabetically according to set and grades, and a knowledge of the ungraded sets I have in sheets, but if I want to lay my hands on an E98 Lajoie 50 with green background, I am clueless as to whether or not it is in the safe deposit box or one (which one?) of the safes. This is probably why I occasionally buy a card which is a duplicate, even a graded one, and have to turn around and sell it.
One of these days after retirement, I promise myself, I am going to go through all my cards and get it together. I am at 4 safes and holding but I have already warned my wife that I am getting ready to buy safe #5. :eek:

Leon
06-02-2010, 12:20 PM
I have stuff every where but I do have a system!! I have a word doc with each card in my personal collection categorized by the ACC # and then the year. For my stuff for sale I have a spreadsheet with my buy price and where I bought it....and if I sell it the same info goes next to it.

Other than that I have several piles of stuff I need to go through that aren't categorized anywhere :D.

Pup6913
06-02-2010, 04:59 PM
All organized by checklist, and stored away in graded card boxes with the checklist of what I have in the box and what I need to fill the rest. All cards are recieved and then scanned and then stored(If its a T205 or valuable) the rest get stacked up and wait for the dust to arrive.:)

darrend505
06-02-2010, 05:12 PM
I am fairly new to collecting vintage cards! I started a 1954 Bowman mid-range set back in February, it has been fun to slowly put together as I am doing it on a budgt. All of the bigger stars I am getting in SGC 40. That aside my main collection is Topps sets, which are in 900 count boxes, then housed in card houses, all of the excess are in a few two row boxes and about a dozen monster boxes. After this weekend, I should be down to half of my excess as I have been slowly turning the excess into funds for my 54 set!