PDA

View Full Version : June 1, 1923 - Lou Gehrig's First Game

IronHorse2130
06-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Eighty-seven years ago Gehrig played in his first major league game, pinch hitting for Pee Wee Wanniger.

I've always been curious as to why Gehrig (and Jimmie Foxx) each have two cards in the 1933 Goudey set that are identical. Anyone know?

Matthew H
06-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Eighty-seven years ago Gehrig played in his first major league game, pinch hitting for Pee Wee Wanniger.

I've always been curious as to why Gehrig (and Jimmie Foxx) each have two cards in the 1933 Goudey set that are identical. Anyone know?

I think the print runs were split into multiple series. I think even 4. I read somewhere that they put a Ruth card in every series. Maybe they wanted to print a Gehrig for 2 series but did not have different artwork. It sure would have been cool if they changed the background color though! I might be wrong. If so please correct, I would like to know too.

Steve D
06-01-2010, 06:59 PM
The least they could've done is change the writeup on the back. With the Gehrigs at least, the only thing that differs between #92 and #160 is the card number. Everything else including the writeup on the back, is identical.

Steve

fkw
06-02-2010, 11:35 AM
There are slight differences, the 160 has darker dirt and the dirt extends into the border more (bottom right corner) and above Gehrig's left foot.