PDA

View Full Version : Is the SMR accurate?

Matthew H
06-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Hi, I am new to this thread. I used old posts to aviod buying a fake t205 Cobb, I thank you all.

I have a subsricption to the SMR as I have lately been sending cards to PSA.
Is there truth to their pricing? I have always wanted a 1915 Cracker Jack Ty Cobb. The current SMR for a PSA 2 is 850 and PSA 3 is 1300. Is it really possible to find these cards at these prices? The only ones I've seen are Ebay BIN for 4-5 times this price.

Just wondering if anyone has seen one sell close to these prices or if anyone can steer me in the right direction.

Thank you,
Matt

ullmandds
06-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Nope...the SMR is pretty useless...and...no...I don't think you'll see a cj cobb for that money...unless it's not a complete card.

Matthew H
06-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I did not think so..... Where do they come up with these prices?

ullmandds
06-01-2010, 02:22 PM
I think they come from PSA's ass?!

tbob
06-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Some collector in 1988 came up with these prices I guess, and they have never changed. The SMRs for prewar caramel cards like E94s, E97s and E98s are laughably wrong.

Matthew H
06-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Funny thing is, I am looking at other sets in the SMR and I am finding cards that routinely sell for much less than they list the cards for... So inconsistent. No wonder it's free :0

Pup6913
06-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Matt that is going to go for Beckett also and any other guide out there. Alot of research and some help from VCP.com and cardpricer.com may set you in the appropriate ballpark for buying a specific card. Best of luck in your quest:)

drdduet
06-01-2010, 03:09 PM
no.

yanksfan09
06-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I would buy Cracker Jack Cobbs all day at those prices until I ran out of money!

HRBAKER
06-01-2010, 03:17 PM
In a lot of instances the SMR prices are as ridiculously low as the Ebay BIN prices are high.

Matthew H
06-01-2010, 03:28 PM
I would buy Cracker Jack Cobbs all day at those prices until I ran out of money!

I just checked your flicker and I like that "bat off shoulder" cobb that you have.
For some reason alot of those cards were printed with some runny white ink or something. It made his eyes look like they were bulging out of his head! I'm on the hunt for a lowergrade hi-eye appeal one like yours.

Matthew H
06-01-2010, 03:31 PM
In a lot of instances the SMR prices are a ridiculously low as the Ebay BIN prices are high.

Thanks for your input. I was starting to think the BIN's were high. The BIN's I've noticed on the 1915's are similiar to the prices realized on the 1914's at the big auction houses. (with comprable numerical grade)

T206DK
06-01-2010, 05:05 PM
whether it's accurate or not, I have found a lot of Ebay sellers use the SMR to set their prices. Just look at some of the usual suspects that put overpriced BIN's on that never seem to sell. The hilarious thing is seeing card shop owners use the SMR to price ungraded cards.
In the end there are no accurate price guides. Any card is only worth what you the buyer are willing to pay for it. If a dealer really wants to sell a card they should be willing to sell it for what the "book" value is. Hardly ever happens. I spent last night making offers and counter offers to 2 sellers, and in the end they were still arguing with me over a measly $2 difference between my offer and theirs. They are fine with using a Beckett or SMR when they price their cards, but try getting them to use one when you are buying :eek: oh and try telling one of these blowhards that the Beckett is only a "guide". they will laugh you out of the room !

Matthew H
06-01-2010, 05:33 PM
whether it's accurate or not, I have found a lot of Ebay sellers use the SMR to set their prices. Just look at some of the usual suspects that put overpriced BIN's on that never seem to sell. The hilarious thing is seeing card shop owners use the SMR to price ungraded cards.
In the end there are no accurate price guides. Any card is only worth what you the buyer are willing to pay for it. If a dealer really wants to sell a card they should be willing to sell it for what the "book" value is. Hardly ever happens. I spent last night making offers and counter offers to 2 sellers, and in the end they were still arguing with me over a measly $2 difference between my offer and theirs. They are fine with using a Beckett or SMR when they price their cards, but try getting them to use one when you are buying :eek: oh and try telling one of these blowhards that the Beckett is only a "guide". they will laugh you out of the room !

LOL. I friend of mine just told me that cards that auction on ebay usually sell for closer to what SMR states. The BIN's are usually people who don't really want to sell their cards but will if they can triple the amount of money they paid for the card in the last month or so :)

T206DK
06-01-2010, 05:56 PM
I am usually able to deal with most sellers over pricing, but I think there are a substantial number of sellers on ebay that really don't want to sell their cards. Why else would you price something 5-10x what any of the "guides" say it should sell for. Maybe alot of the big sellers just list from their personal collections too. I do know that both of the card shops in my area were started with the owners personal collections of cards and comics.
there are times though when I find some card that is listed way below what the guides say, so there are some deals out there depending upon what you collect, and what is hot. I've noticed alot of my friends are starting to collect 30's and 40's sets now like crazy.

Jacklitsch
06-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Nope

Peter_Spaeth
06-01-2010, 07:00 PM
It is notoriously inaccurate on CJs. I have written Joe Orlando several times over the years and told him that, and provided him with respresentative sales, and each time I get the same promise to look into it. On a lot of issues it is a decent guide though.

FrankWakefield
06-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Dr. Ullman and Mr. Murray have said it well.