PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, new to the forum just looking for some suggestions

tesitzes24
05-31-2010, 11:19 PM
I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks now, and I am amazed by the amount of knowledge on the board. I'll be around, but probably won't be doing a lot of posting. I will just listen for a while and learn.

I am mainly looking for suggestions for someone just getting started in vintage. I collected as a kid, but never anything old. I've learned quite a bit already just from reading the board, and researching online. Anyways, if you have any suggestions on good sets for a newbie to start with, or types of cards that are good for a beginner, I would love to hear them.

Look forward to reading the boards and learning from everyone.

M's_Fan
05-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Welcome!

I would start by thinking about what era you would like to collect. 19th century, deadball era, 20's, 30's, etc.

Read up some good books like "Glory of their Times", and many other great baseball books out there. Recently published "Mint Condition" is a great read on the hobby.

Many start with the T206 set, though few finish it, you can try a subset to make it more realistic and within your budget. I would also suggest the T205 set or some caramel card issues. Most of all, just have fun!

ethicsprof
06-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Welcome aboard!!!
I would say give the T206 a try. The Monster has beautiful lithography,
many affordable cards in mid-grade, excellent research already available,
and will keep you busy, in the best way, for decades.
Do take a look at Net 54 members' list of publications and you will also see
a number of potential colleagues and friends there. Just click on Vintage
Links up above.
best,
barry

FUBAR
06-01-2010, 12:49 AM
collect what makes you feel good, makes you happy.... whatever catches your eye

martyogelvie
06-01-2010, 05:20 AM
I am with Barry.. the T206 monster is a great place to start simply because they are around every corner and you can pick up quite a few at reasonable prices.

Jewish-collector
06-01-2010, 05:27 AM
Welcome.

Come to the National in Baltimore this summer & let's talk about it over some crabs & beer. :)

Rob D.
06-01-2010, 06:30 AM
I think the biggest misstep a collector -- whether it be someone who's new to prewar or a veteran -- can make is to be overly influenced by what the current "hot" issue is or what other people are talking about at the time. Collecting T206 backs are all the rage right now, and you see more people posting that they want to buy them. Chances are good that a year from now, when T206 backs have fallen out of the spotlight, many of these these same folks will be looking to sell. The same thing happened 12-18 months ago with a few of the E-card sets.

The downside to this, aside from the fact that your collection will lack focus, is you'll probably lose money each time you change direction. Plus, it will feel like often your chase is being dictated by other collectors or the market.

If you think you have the patience to try to put together a set (and many collectors don't!), then that would be a great start. Or maybe collecting an individual player or team might be the route to go.

Decide what area you like, and as has previously been posted, what makes you happy. You'll find yourself "refocusing" your interests less and likely enjoying the hobby more. I would advise not to be consumed with trying to get everything you want in the shortest time possible. Many will tell you that collecting really is more about the journey than reaching the destination.

(Along these same lines, if you decide you'd rather collect graded cards, do it. And vice versa if ungraded cards appeal to you more. Or maybe a mix of both. You'll no doubt hear from collectors who say that the "right" way to collect is by avoiding graded cards. Don't believe it. Again, do what you want.)

FrankWakefield
06-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Amen to the suggestion up there of getting a copy of Mr. Ritter's book, The Glory of Their Times. Additionally, not instead, get the 4 audio cd's by the same title. It's great to hear the energy and emphasis in their voices... hear them say EEE-vers, instead of the general, mass held pronunciation of ev-ers, when they mention Johnny Evers of Tinker to Evers to Chance... If you do that, then you gather a handful of T206s of some of those players, THAT would be a good place to start.

I think reading about the era, to understand baseball of the day, is a way to derive more enjoyment from collecting the old cards. For me it isn't so much about any value the cards may have, but about the player and his place in baseball. If you follow the board you'll see that some folks love graded cards and set registries; some focus more on the player and the card with less concern with condition; some do both. Get a few cards ungraded and graded, from different sets, and then you can figure out the cards and collecting style that suits you best. Collecting is a journey, not a destination, enjoy the trip.

Bicem
06-01-2010, 06:41 AM
research, research, research... start here...

http://www.oldcardboard.com/

and then choose your favorite that's within your budget. Good luck & have fun!

GrayGhost
06-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Without doubt, the greatest hobby in the world, and I wish you luck starting out on the journey. Best thing is, it NEVER ends!!! There's so much to choose from to collect. You may decide you want memorabilia, autographs, cards, etc, best thing is, its your choice. I'd say start out buying a few different things till you decide when/if you want to focus on a set/player/team. Enjoy the ride and welcome to the board!

Scott.

Leon
06-01-2010, 06:56 AM
All of the advice so far is good advice. I would re-emphasize that you should collect what you enjoy. From day 1 in collecting I realized I didn't particularly care about completing sets. I have always been a variety type of person so I am a type collector. Don't worry so much about cards that are graded, or not, but if you spend serious money (to you) then the graded route is a bit safer, at least at first. There are millions of ideas and ways to collect so pick what you enjoy and move forward, slowly :). If you move too fast you might burn out. BTW, it's ok to think about the money aspect of it all but I wouldn't dwell too much on it. You want to make smart decisions but when you see something you really need, and it's rarely seen, then that is the time to pick it up. I have rarely regretted paying a bit more than I want to for something I really want. You could probably spend the next year reading old archives on this board....and we do have an archive section in the upper right of the screen. Good luck!!

ChrisStufflestreet
06-01-2010, 07:07 AM
My suggestion: read whatever you can about the subject. And don't just jump into the hobby until you're ready.

While others here have mentioned Ritter's Glory of Their Times, there are other books and websites that are hobby-specific.

Below this post are three links you could feel free to check out.

My website covers a lot of vintage issues with pictures and info...but without getting into prices. I'm willing to say brag, even) that it can help you get a nice foundation about the hobby. However, it barely scratches the surface about what's out there, so places like Net54 are excellent sites to build upon that.

The "Hobby Bookshelf" link has a number of books available through Amazon about the hobby. What's even better is that many of these books are available used, at a great bargain. The more you learn and understand about the hobby, the better and more informed you are as a collector, and therefore much less likely to be burned by the few shady characters out there selling fake cards with interesting "stories."

Finally, the third link is to my vintage sportscard blog. 3-4 times a week, I add new posts to it, covering vintage from prewar through about 1980. I tend to be a little irreverent, but hopefully my deep love and respect for our hobby comes through, even when I'm showing off some of the more "well-loved" specimens in my collection. My entire point of the blog is to share my hobby with others, and there would be no better thrill than to someday find out that something I wrote caused a new collector to gravitate more to the hobby.

When I was younger, I read a 1981 book by Ron Erbe and Keith Mitchell called The American Premium Guide to Baseball Cards that I found in my middle school library. In fact, from 6th grade through 8th, the book would be checked out dozens of times and gave me my first glimpse into the vintage hobby. I would love to tell both of those guys about the impact that book had on me. Also of interest are the three volumes of Lew Lipset's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards (also found as a 3-volume set). Unfortunately, all these books are often a lot more expensive than others but worth searching out if you're looking for a deeper knowledge of the hobby.

Finally, welcome!

3-2-count
06-01-2010, 07:14 AM
As others have already stated all good advice so far. I would like to add that until you obtain a bit more knowledge in vintage/prewar cards be careful with whom your purchases are with. Ebay, etc. There's alot of bad stuff floating around out there for sale and I would hate to see you get discouraged right out of the gate with a bad purchase. If you see something you like feel free to post it here for opinions or simply private message one of us if needed.
Good luck!!

quinnsryche
06-01-2010, 08:07 AM
In my opinion, collect what looks appealing to YOU, what you can afford (nothing worse than getting into something you can't add to), something readily available to start and players you admire or respect (that's where the research - reading books and internet - comes in). Go on vintagecardprices.com and check out the galleries of card images, it might help you visually choose what you like, it helped me greatly when I came back in recently. Good luck, best wishes and have FUN (that's what it's really all about).

tesitzes24
06-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks a lot for the quick responses and good advice everyone. Someone earlier mentioned the book Mint Condition, kind of odd because I actually just finished reading it.

As far as graded vs. ungraded cards, being a novice to the vintage cards, it would probably be wise to stick to the graded cards for now. Not because I care too much for the way the grading works, because a lot of the time, I see cards that are 2s and 3s, that look more appealing to the eye than cards that are 4s and 5s. I am certainly no expert, but I would rather have a card that is easier on the eye than to get another card just because of a higher grade. I think buying graded at first though would at least make me a little more comfortable that the card is the real thing.

Keep the responses coming. I love hearing the suggestions from those that have a lot more experience than I do.

ChiefBenderForever
06-01-2010, 09:50 AM
I would start by buying low grade and raw beaters of T206, T205, 1933 and 34 Goudey and branch out from there and see what you like. If you change your mind they are easy to sell or trade and you wont lose very much because you wont spend very much. By doing this you will also learn to appreciate the difference between low to mid grade. You will find many examples graded 1-5 very appealing and even lower. Good luck and have fun !

FrankWakefield
06-01-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm no fan of graded cards, as most here are aware.

With that said, the graders misidentify cards from time to time; seldom, but it happens. So if your reason for buying a card that's graded is because you don't know if it's real, be aware that there's no certainty of that with a card in a slab.

What JohnnyHarmonica says seems sensible. Buy a T206, T205, or 33 Goudey from someone trustworthy. Ted Z sells, Barry Sloate does. There are some others on here... Personally I'm certain that if I bought a card from either of them unslabbed, that it would be what they said it was. These two, for example, make fewer mistakes identifying a card than third party graders.

Once you've bought a few you'll soon be able to discern reprints and authentic cards. A uv light helps with odd issues when in doubt. The research comment is right on, read the fine work by Mr. Reader. I think there's a link to it through something at the top.

E93
06-01-2010, 10:15 AM
I agree with the others. T206s are classics and beautiful cards.

I would add as a possibility E (early candy/caramel) cards. If you like the idea of completing a set, most E sets from E90-1-E106 are completable. Some are easier than others. The nice thing about most of the E sets is that they are relatively small. Except for E90-1, I think the others are all 25-50 card sets. The cards tend to be very attractive and most of the sets have a good number of the more famous Hall of Famers from the era.
JimB

JasonL
06-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I am rarely the place to get it.
However, that rarely stops me from distributing it!

All the advice in previous posts is good and valid.
My only addition would be to add a twist to the "Buy and collect what you like" thought. Think about it from the reverse perspective, and give some thought to what an incremental collection of your target is going to look like, and whether or not that still appeals.

Here are 2 examples:
1) Vintage: T206. Be honest with yourself about how many times you are ok with shelling out $50-100 for every common card of a player you have never heard of (and may never hear an amusing anecdote about because he died 50 years ago)...because somewhere along the way (unless you possess otherworldly heroic patience and focus) you will get really sick of it.
My solution: pick a team set to cut it down into bite size piece that you can afford and learn about in a reasonable time frame. I picked the Cubs and really had a blast learning about Heine Zimmerman's place in the world. Now, that was admittedly borderline stupid because I picked one of the largest team sets in the Monster, but I did it, and I have enjoyed holding onto them for alot longer than I ever anticipated (yes, a whole 3 years and counting). What I should have done was Milwaukee, cuz it's close to Chicago & they only got 4 cards!

2) Post-war: HOF Rookies. Again, be honest about whether or not you want to buy Phil Neikro's rookie card. I fear that I have actually failed on this one, and I am now considering selling off a bunch of cards that I don't enjoy having or looking at...I know it's post-war, but the same thinking applies. I am nowhere near done on this set, probably won't ever have enough money to do it the way I would like to, and consequently, eh...feels like a waste of time and money.

If you're still reading, hopefully you were able to decipher a point, and it would also suggest that I am learning to become more succinct in my writing style!

Good luck, whatever you choose!!

tesitzes24
06-01-2010, 10:35 AM
We'll see if this changes the advice at all. I seriously doubt I will ever put together an entire set of anything vintage, just because of a) the time involved/lack of patience, and (b) I don't want to spend that much money/get divorced.

Having said that, the team thing sounds like a decent idea. I live in St. Louis, so looking for STL players might be a good place to start. Just wanted to throw out that I have no illusions of taking years, potentially decades, trying to put together one set.

oldjudge
06-01-2010, 11:32 AM
There is another alternative-don't collect. Get some books on the history of the game or particular players, ideally books with many photographic images. The books will provide plenty of interesting information and the photographs will in almost all cases provide better insights into what the players looked like and their surroundings than the cards ever would. This would keep your spending to a minimum and generate a nice reference library should you ever decide at a later date to reconsider and collect cards.

Jewish-collector
06-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Another helpful resource that wouldn't cost you a cent would be to contact Robert Edward Auctions and get their last few auction catalogs. These catalogs are tremendously useful.

Volod
06-01-2010, 01:20 PM
collect what makes you feel good, makes you happy.... whatever catches your eye
Yeah Jim - As one who has followed that dictum for many years, I have to point out that, sadly, there are many who ignore it yet escape the predicted consequence.

dstraate
06-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Can't boast the experience or wisdom of the others on board, but have you seen the T202's? Very attainable price-wise and super cool with a photo in the middle.