PDA

View Full Version : Star Plug Chewing Tobacco

FourStrikes
05-30-2010, 01:39 PM
3 1/2" x 5 1/4" paper tobacco pouch

I'm guessing this to date from between the late 19th century and 1910's.....unsure whether or not it was meant to actually hold tobacco, or instead was
a promotional / advertising item.....did Star Plug ever issue baseball-related tobacco cards or other baseball-related premiums with its product?

* NOT FOR SALE or TRADE *

DS

Leon
05-30-2010, 02:06 PM
I would guess early 1900's to 1910's. The people don't quite have the "Victorian look" enough for me to think late 19th century. That is just my semi-educated guess on that. I am not aware of any baseball related "Star" cards except the candy ones, Star Player, which I believe have been found to be Dockman's, recently. There were some "Star" Bloomer girls teams, with postcards, in that time frame and a little later, but I don't think they had anything to do with tobacco. As far as that pouch holding tobacco, it wouldn't seem like they would use a regular paper product unless the plugs were wrapped inside the bag. I would go 50/50 on it holding tobacco back in the day, but could be convinced one way or the other with a persuasive argument. :)