PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we identify all the t202 center panel players?

obcmac
05-28-2010, 09:25 PM
So nobody has tried to do this in 100 years? Why not now?

Mac

Abravefan11
05-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Mac-

Respectfully I don't think there would be nearly the interest or amount of effort put into the other photos that there was with the "Lord Catches His Man." That thread and collective effort by the board was something special. I'm not trying to discourage you and in fact encourage you to find what you can.

Jim VB
05-28-2010, 10:27 PM
So nobody has tried to do this in 100 years? Why not now?

Mac

Well, 560+ replies times 132 cards in the set...

Yikes! :eek:

Woundedduck
05-29-2010, 05:49 AM
That would be an amazing project. It would take at least one person to really organize and list the center panels as they were discovered. It could be done but I think it would take a very long time with interest waxng and waning over time. However if someone was willing to organize and list all the cards I think it would eventually get done.

brett
05-29-2010, 06:09 AM
WOW, what an ambitious project! I just don't think it could ever be done because I don't think it's possible (unless somebody finds a vintage document or list from Hassan). While on the Shoeless Joe card he may not be smiling right into the camera, at least I got a good enough look at his face and certain features to know it was him from being a huge fan of his and looking at a thousand pictures of him throughout the years. Also, if it weren't for the happenstance of him wearing the white wrap on his right ankle and the one in a million chance that somebody here would find that photo's identical twin brother in a 100 year old newspaper even I would have to admit that you couldn't DEFINITELY guarantee it was him. Other players just aren't as visible on certain cards and in some cases you can't see their faces at all. Some of the other players are guys that fans just don't know as much about like they do Shoeless Joe and some of the pictures are from a few years earlier making them near-impossible to figure out.

Sterling Sports Auctions
05-29-2010, 07:37 AM
There's only 78 dfiffernt center panels and many identify both players so the task isn't so daunting. :D

Lee

brett
05-29-2010, 07:39 AM
There's only 78 dfiffernt center panels and many identify both players so the task isn't so daunting. :D

Lee

Actually, it's 76.

Fred
05-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Sounds like an interesting project. Go for it. As mentioned earlier most of the players in the center panel have been identified already but why not try to figure out ALL of them. I'm sure the results would make for some fun reading.

Woundedduck
05-29-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm probably the most novice vintage collector of us all. However, I'm type A enough, that this project kind of seems fun to organize. If someone else doesn't do it, maybe I'll start up a thread in the coming weeks to organize the long search to identify as many t202s as possible. I'll defer to obcmac first though, since it was his idea for the project.