PDA

View Full Version : Are you looking at T202s in a different light?

Rob D.
05-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Has the interesting, intriguing and thought-provoking thread (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=124045) started by Brett piqued your interest in T202s ... or even in T cards in general?

Edited to add: Until I can figure out how to edit the poll, here's the question in its entirety:

Do you have more interest in the T202 set now that you know Joe Jackson might be a part of it?

Abravefan11
05-26-2010, 08:21 PM
As much as I have enjoyed the thread and all the research by the board members I am no more likely to buy the JJ T202 or any other than I was before the thread.

teetwoohsix
05-26-2010, 08:32 PM
No. It was a great discovery & thread (great detective work too), but this has not changed my collecting goals at all.

Clayton

Chris Counts
05-26-2010, 08:39 PM
I've long believed the T202s are an underrated set. For a relatively fair price, you get two white-bordered T205s and cool b&w photo in the middle. Plus some great info on the back. They're really a bargain ...

GasHouseGang
05-26-2010, 09:25 PM
I think they are a good bargain, but I've never really liked them all that much. I wish they would have identified everyone in the center photo, on the back. That would have made some of the photos more interesting for future generations. Now we are left to ponder who's who.

Steve D
05-26-2010, 10:18 PM
I have to say no.

I currently have four T202s.....both Ty Cobb center panels, the Tinker-Evers-Chance card, and the Hoblitzell-Grant card, simply because of Grant's actions in WWI. About the only other T202 I'm looking for is Speaker-Wood. I have to admit, I'm intrigued by the seeming likelihood that it is Joe Jackson on the Lord-Tannehill card, and wouldn't mind picking up an example.

The one thing I've never really liked about T202s is that the center panels don't include any of the bigger stars (except Cobb and Speaker).....guys like Johnson, Mathewson, Young, etc. If they had been on the center panels also, it would make the cards much more unique, and to me anyway, infinitely more collectable. Nap Lajoie is on a center panel, but it's sandwiched between Brooklyn Superba end panels.

I've also mainly been a single-player collector. As an example, I collect Hank Aaron cards. While I go after all of his regular cards, I don't really go for the multi-player cards he might appear on.

As far as the end panels go, if you have the T205 of a particular player, you don't really need the T202, as it is just a smaller, white-bordered, less-aesthetically pleasing version of the T205.

Steve