PDA

View Full Version : Pinkerton Lajoie | Imperial Sports Auctions

Rob D.
05-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Was browsing eBay just now and came across this Pinkerton postcard of Lajoie:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1913-1915-Pinkerton-Cards-Lajoie-Baker-SGC-Graded-Rare-/250638306718?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3a5b350d9e

Imperial Sports Auctions, the eBay seller, has the card listed in a different, upcoming auction, with the bidding starting June 1:

http://www.imperialsports.net/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=21&searchby=3&searchvalue=lajoie&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=1

Granted, the BIN on eBay is so high that I doubt anyone would pull the trigger, but then again, there is a "Make offer" option. Just wondering what the consensus of thought is about an auction company placing an item in an upcoming catalog but also offering it for sale in another venue in the days leading up to the auction.

To Imperial's credit, at least they or one of their contacts didn't list the card on eBay a couple weeks after it supposedly sold in their auction.

Again, this isn't to suggest any impropriety on Imperial's part -- they are an advertiser on the board, after all. My guess is Imperial listed the card on eBay for the sole purpose of publicizing their upcoming auction. I'm just curious as to the public perception.

calvindog
05-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Weak.

Jim VB
05-24-2010, 02:59 PM
The Ebay auction ends on 5/28. The on line auction does not start until 6/01. I suppose if they sell it prior, they can just redact it from the main auction.

Now, if they are running both at the same time... then I have a problem.

Bicem
05-24-2010, 03:09 PM
agreed with Jim, sweet cards by the way!

I'm sure ebay doesn't like it though.

Rob D.
05-24-2010, 03:13 PM
The Ebay auction ends on 5/28. The on line auction does not start until 6/01. I suppose if they sell it prior, they can just redact it from the main auction.

I agree, and items sometimes get pulled before auctions start. I'd be bummed, though, if I was anticipating bidding on something and it got pulled because it sold on eBay. Again, nothing wrong with the practice of listing it on eBay, I just found it curious.

barrysloate
05-24-2010, 03:26 PM
I'd like to make an observation regarding Imperial Auctions. I went on their website recently to see who was starting this new auction company. I clicked every link available and could not find the names of the people who own and run this site. Does anyone else find this a little strange? How can you run an auction business anonymously? If you guys are reading this, you might want to put your names in either the "About Us" or "Contact Us" sections (unless you already have in the last week or so).

cdonne
05-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi Rob(and others),
The listings on eBay are for advertising purposes only and will not be running simultaneously with the June auction. I have no intention on selling any of the lots on eBay unless somoeone decides to purchase at the BIN(which are very high).

Thank you for looking at the auction.

Chris Donnell
Imperial Sports, LLC

barrysloate
05-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Well, now I know who the owner is. Thanks Chris.

slidekellyslide
05-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Hi Rob(and others),
The listings on eBay are for advertising purposes only......
Chris Donnell
Imperial Sports, LLC

Yea!!! More ebay spam clogging up real auctions.

JP
05-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Dan, that's why I use the "Auctions only" tab. That way I won't be forced to look at more overpriced cards with overpriced "buy it nows"

slidekellyslide
05-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Dan, that's why I use the "Auctions only" tab. That way I won't be forced to look at more overpriced cards with overpriced "buy it nows"

Well, I'd love to do that, but I noticed the other day that someone posted a BIN on a postcard that was very relevant to my collection. It doesn't happen often, but it happens enough that I'm forced to sift through the BIN's.

calvindog
05-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Can't beat free advertising -- even if ebay is not a billboard.

Spike
06-03-2010, 04:32 AM
Anyone else get force-added to the Imperial Auctions mailing list? It really annoyed me and just wondered if they're somehow lifting email addresses from Net54. :mad:

cdonne
06-03-2010, 06:04 AM
Hi Matt,
If you would like to PM me with your email, I can remove you from the list. To answer your question, I did not add random people to the email lists from Net54.
Thanks,
Chris

Matt
06-03-2010, 06:05 AM
Anyone else get force-added to the Imperial Auctions mailing list? It really annoyed me and just wondered if they're somehow lifting email addresses from Net54. :mad:

email addresses are not public on Net54* unless you type them into the text of post. If you've never done that then they got your address somewhere other way; maybe they bought a bidder list from another auction house.

*The exception is if you added your email to the "Vintage Links" page from the old forum.

Exhibitman
06-03-2010, 07:07 AM
"The listings on eBay are for advertising purposes only and will not be running simultaneously with the June auction. I have no intention on selling any of the lots on eBay unless somoeone decides to purchase at the BIN(which are very high).
Imperial Sports, LLC"

Um, if you are listing "for advertising purposes only" and have "no intention on selling" you can't also intend to sell if you get a "purchase at the BIN." Contradicting yourself twice in two sentences is pretty good; lawyer by training?

Bicem
06-03-2010, 08:49 AM
are we the ebay police?

the guy is advertising his auction on ebay, so what?

Matthew H
06-03-2010, 12:39 PM
This is kinda off subject but has any one seen this? I found this video on youtube. Check out this guys collection of '33 Lajoie cards. Forgive mr if some one posted this before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a0lzcu9bzg&playnext_from=TL&videos=IIAoXWNdKxA

Matt
06-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Never seen that before - thanks for sharing. Quite the collection.
IMO that first Lajoie is over graded with those rubber-band indents on the sides.

Matthew H
06-03-2010, 05:44 PM
I think so too. I like the 4

Spike
06-03-2010, 08:47 PM
email addresses are not public on Net54 unless you type them into the text of post. If you've never done that then they got your address somewhere other way; maybe they bought a bidder list from another auction house.

Good to know, thanks for following up. Must be the latter, though I don't remember doing anything on a card auction site since...2006? The intertubes memory lingers for a creepy long period of time.