PDA

View Full Version : Team Reunions-Pirates 1960

Bill Stone
05-23-2010, 04:14 PM
This might be slightly OT but I wanted to share my experience this weekend at the 50th Anniversary Reunion of the 1960 World Champion Pittsburgh Pirates. This was held in connection with the J. Paul Sports card show in Pittsburgh. The 50th Anniversary Dinner was held Saturday night and was limited to 100 people which was just perfect. With an open bar there was plenty of time to meet the players and their wives. You could tell they were having a good time and they were all so nice. Having been a Pirates fan since 1950 it was so great to finally meet players like Dick Groat ( who still looks like he could go play nine innings!!) , Vernon Law looked fabulous. Bob Friend and Bill Virdon were all smiles . I got to the lobby early and just sat in a big easy chair watching as all the players came in and greeted each other and the fans. It was obvious they were happy to be there and enjoying each others company. At the dinner each table had one player sitting with the fans --our player was Bob Oldis ---what a delight --one great story after another and he was so friendly -a true baseball guy --I think sometimes the players who were on the bench or in the bullpen had the best stories because there was time to reflect as an observer of the game. This is the first reunion type event I have ever been to and it was fantastic. Two other highlights was sitting with Danny Murtaugh's granddaughter who had just written a book about him and a nice visit with Mrs. Harvey Haddix who also attended the event. :)

teetwoohsix
05-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Great story Bill-thanks for sharing the experience with us. I've often wondered what one of those reunion dinners would be like, hearing all of them telling their priceless stories. Just wondering, would it be frowned upon to ask for auto's at these dinners (before or after the meal,not during)?

Thanks again,Clayton

Rich Klein
05-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Many times dinners like that; especially with programs; are laden with autographs. I suspect; that unless noted otherwise; autographs are to be expected to be gathered at an event like that; especially with what I believe was the $100 per person cost to attend

Rich

teetwoohsix
05-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks Rich.

I think it would be well worth $100.00 to attend something like this.

Regards,Clayton

Bill Stone
05-23-2010, 05:04 PM
In fact ,the promoters specifically asked that this be kept a social affair and the players were asked not to sign autographs at the dinner. I liked that because it meant that people were free to talk without being interrupted .The players were at the card show for several hours signing autographs so there was plenty of chance to do that early in the day.

kkkkandp
05-23-2010, 05:19 PM
When I returned to collecting baseball cards in 1983 one of the first things I put together were complete 1960 Topps team sets of the Pittsburgh Pirates and New York Yankees because that was a very traumatic World Series for me.

Having grown up in the New York area with a father and two grandfathers who were die-hard Yankee fans, the Yankees were my team, too. Back in those days, the television networks didn't call the shots and I remember running home after school to catch the ends of the afternoon games.

I got home just in time to watch the Yankees tie the score in the top of the ninth of the seventh game only to see Mazeroski homer off of Ralph Terry to win it for the Pirates in the bottom of the ninth. I think I saw Yogi Berra standing at the wall watching the ball clear the fence in my dreams for at least a week.

It must have been great to schmooze with those guys.

Rich Klein
05-23-2010, 08:00 PM
In fact ,the promoters specifically asked that this be kept a social affair and the players were asked not to sign autographs at the dinner. I liked that because it meant that people were free to talk without being interrupted .The players were at the card show for several hours signing autographs so there was plenty of chance to do that early in the day.

That if I spent $100 to attend the dinner; I'd be dammed if I did not get a few autographs during the event. To me; that is part of the purpose of an event like that -- if I sat all evening listening to Bob Oldis tell stories; I'd want him to sign the program provided for THAT event, which probably was not available on the show floor. I do understand that players are people and have a right to dine in peace; but,.... $100 for no autos on the item made especially for that event,... then I'd be a bit pissed.

Rich

BillyCoxDodgers3B
05-23-2010, 09:10 PM
You could send the prograpm to any of those players at a later date and they'd be happy to sign it free of charge. Sometimes Vern Law requests $5. If we were talking about men who are normally less accessible, I'd certainly understand that viewpoint. All of the men mentioned have been class acts at signing autographs for the majority of their lives.

I don't know if there is a Mrs. Diomedes Olivo still alive, but I'd love to hear her perspective on having a 40something rookie husband! What a long, hard road to the top that must have been for him!

Rich Klein
05-24-2010, 05:44 AM
And the potential of getting lost in the mail; especially with constant mailings (assuming you wanted everyone there to sign the program); again I'd be annoyed that my $100 did not allow me to get signatures DURING the event.

And I'd probably let the promoter know (Unless this was specified in advance) that this was a problem (Not that he/she would care after the event).

Look how many "banquet" programs show up in auctions signed 40-50-60-70 years later. I'm sorry but that is a side benefit of paying $100 per person to attend.

Rich

Bill Stone
05-24-2010, 06:08 AM
That if I spent $100 to attend the dinner; I'd be dammed if I did not get a few autographs during the event. To me; that is part of the purpose of an event like that -- if I sat all evening listening to Bob Oldis tell stories; I'd want him to sign the program provided for THAT event, which probably was not available on the show floor. I do understand that players are people and have a right to dine in peace; but,.... $100 for no autos on the item made especially for that event,... then I'd be a bit pissed.

Rich

Rich -I think you have missed the point entirely. This dinner was a social event. I knew that in advance and certainly was not the least disappointed with not getting any autographs at the dinner. If you look back at the thread "Your best baseball talk?" see how many people say it was interrupting a conversation to get the shaky signature of an 82 year old former player? In fact I would rather walk away with the memory of a guy who was there describe a Mickey Mantle home run --but that is just me----the dinner was limited to 100 people and judging by the people at my table I think we were all happy to just talk baseball for a few hours.

Jewish-collector
05-25-2010, 08:17 AM
I agree with Rich 1000 percent !!! That's a lot of money for a dinner. For that price, at least, I better get the team picture signed by every member that attended. Plus, I'd try to get additional autographs.