PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Pelicans Pennant

skooter
05-19-2010, 11:04 PM
I bought this pennant at an estate sale in New Orleans about 30 years ago. The lady also had two other pennants, one from each of the first two Sugar Bowls in 1935 and 1936. She assumed this pennant was from the same time. It measures 29" without the streamers, 34" with the streamers, and is 11" tall. The images are painted on, but show minor signs of cracking.
I'd like to know if ya'll think this pennant is from the time period I stated, and the approximate value. Also, would like to see other Minor League pennants anyone may have. Thanks.

perezfan
05-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Very cool pennant. I would estimate very late '30s to early '40s, based on the logo design, size, tassels and type of felt. Probably just a tad newer than the Sugar Bowl Pennants she had.

Neat logo and a super-rare pennant... it's a keeper! Great post ;)

rhettyeakley
05-20-2010, 11:04 AM
This pennant looks an awful lot like one of the 1936-37 BF3 Mini Pennants (Series 11, I think) that features minor league teams nicknames w/ their league written in the same style.

I suspect this was a premium by the makers of those pennants (the Red Ball Gum Co.). I would find a BF3 collector and see if the Pelicans are featured there w/ the same image (just MUCH smaller obviously)
-Rhett

skooter
05-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.

theantiquetiger
05-20-2010, 06:55 PM
The lady also had two other pennants, one from each of the first two Sugar Bowls in 1935 and 1936.

Do you still have these Sugar Bowl pennants?

skooter
05-22-2010, 09:48 AM
C'mon guys, let's see some Minor League pennants!

matty39
05-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi, Just noticed this thread. Your pennant is very similar to the red ball pelican pennant. Red ball did make some premium pennants of type 5 major league pennants. They are listed in the Standard Catalog as type 12 bf3s.
I am not aware of any minor league premiums. The premiums offered by Red Ball all have been exact duplicates of their smaller versions making your pelican pennant rather doubtful in my mind, but who knows.