PDA

View Full Version : Population Reports

mdschulze
05-19-2010, 12:32 PM
After reading through another thread about using multiple companies to grade cards, I now have a question. If I submit a card to PSA and have it graded, then resubmit that same card to SGC for a regrade, that one card is now on two different population reports, right? So are most of the pop reports loaded with wrong figures are do these grading companies have a way to reconcile the diffrerences? Just curious!

T206Collector
05-19-2010, 12:47 PM
They are and they don't.

Pop reports are a joke.

If you buy cards based on pop reports, good luck to you.

terjung
05-19-2010, 12:51 PM
You got it. One card on two pop reports. Actually, it is worse than that since people break cards out and resubmit them all the time in hopes of getting a grade bump. So, it goes on the pop report again and again. There are a ton of raw cards out there though, so you can't just go by pop reports as a top end either.

It is in the grading company's best interest not to remove a card from the pop report due to perceived market share. Flips sent to graders don't get removed from the pop reports for this reason - if though it would help to get more accurate counts.

Pop reports are best used for relative populations within a set (to help determining the scarcity of one card in a set over another), but even that isn't foolproof since some cards like big named HOFers may be more likely to be submitted for grading than other commons.

All in all, take pop reports with a grain of salt.

mdschulze
05-19-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm fairly new to this and I really didn't know how this all plays in with the grading companies. Thanks for the information!

T206Collector
05-19-2010, 02:56 PM
A lot of high grade collectors depend heavily on low pop reports to determine the value of their cards. So a PSA Pop 1 of 1 is worth a lot to them. But Pop reports are not an exact science and the numbers are often very misleading as a result of things like crossovers, resubmits and raw collections. As was previously said, Pop reports help with things like relative scarcity -- but even there you have to be aware that rare cards get graded more frequently than common cards and the pop reports will reflect that, too, suggesting that certain common cards are equally scarce as rare cards when in fact they aren't.

HRBAKER
05-19-2010, 03:38 PM
To me the cross and crack games have made the pop reports pretty meaningless for several years.

tbob
05-19-2010, 04:30 PM
To me the cross and crack games have made the pop reports pretty meaningless for several years.

Absolutely Jeff.

sox1903wschamp
05-19-2010, 04:41 PM

"Cross and crack". There is a joke in there somewhere :)
And yes, because of this and raw cards in collections, your head could explode trying figure pop reports so I ignore them. But boy do these reports bring high dollar to mainstream Topps and Bowman sets.

glchen
05-19-2010, 04:42 PM
FYI, low pop figures should be fairly accurate, however, since it's the rare collector who will crossover a Pop 1 of 1 card. Still, as mentioned, raw cards still exist, so those low pop numbers can change as more and more cards get graded.

M's_Fan
05-19-2010, 05:08 PM
The cross and crack games have made population reports meaningless. I agree.

But the grading companies still don't communicate when they cross over a card, supposedly to protect their percieved market share.

But by not doing this they have destroyed the meaning of the pop reports, so it doesn't make sense. It would seem that to protect the integrity of the pop report, and to protect the integrity of their percieved market share, they should share information, or else the whole thing is pointless and meaningless.

It just doesn't make sense to me that the grading companies go to all this trouble but then undermine themselves by not sharing information when they cross over cards.

Of course this couldn't prevent someone cracking and resubmitting, but it would be a big improvement. The high dollar cards are rarely cracked and resubmitted due to the big risk, unless it is obviously undergraded.

deadballera
05-19-2010, 05:23 PM
I have only sent one card of my collection to be graded. Most of them are raw cards...which will not show on any report.

The only thing keeping them from getting graded is just the expense to do it.

DICKTOWLE
05-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I have 13 graded SGC delongs I will be selling, should I go Ebay or BST on 54:confused: thank you for the help

Leon
05-21-2010, 01:13 PM
I have 13 graded SGC delongs I will be selling, should I go Ebay or BST on 54:confused: thank you for the help

Dick- infraction withdrawn
best regards

edited- it looks as though you made this post in this thread BEFORE you started the other thread. Therefore I don't think an infraction should be given and I will remove it.

DixieBaseball
05-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Pop reports offer a lot of value for me on T210's, T211's, OJ's, etc. as you can still see trends, especially the low pop trend numbers. Yes, there will always be raw stuff, so one has to adjust their mind set to allow for a certain amount, but when I see 19 graded Elmer Smith's from the OJ set and only 7 Charlie Brynan's, I think there is correlation that there are probably more Elmer's available. Also, after looking for certain players for years, and comparing pop reports, the trends gain more credibility. (Especially the cards with only a few graded examples) Also, I like to take SGC and PSA to get a net total. (I am sure some overlap due to crossover, but my guess is not many)

2 cents...