PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP! Are these BOGUS 1955 Exhibit Postcard backs?

whiteymet
05-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Hi All:

I just picked up a group of 1955 Exhibit Postcard backs that came out of Canada.

I never had any before. I just compared them to others on ebay and found major differences. Are there variations, a Canadian issue of these or are mine or the others bogus?

Please see the below scan. Mine does not have the " A Mutoscope Card" running up the center as is shown in my 2007 SCD Standard Catalog and the bottom scan and mine says MADE in USA while others I have seen say PRINTED in USA. I also notice on mine the "S" in the word Correspondence is lightly printed.

PLEASE check all of yours to see if these are legit or not. Others purchased some of these before I did so if they are bad, others have them too.

Or are there two versions of the 1955 Exhibit Cards?

bbcarddan
05-19-2010, 10:40 AM
I have a couple 50`s Postcard backs like yours.They look legit to me,who is on the front?

whiteymet
05-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Hi Dan:

Thanks for the reply. The top card of mine is Adcock. The bottom smaller photo is of Wertz from an ebay listing.

What do you make of the two different backs? Are they both legit?

bbcarddan
05-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Yes they both look legit from what I can see.I don`t have any with the mutoscope back but they are out there.Perhaps Exhibitman will chime in with more info for you,he is regarded as the Exhibit card expert around here.

Here is one of my backs for you to compare.

Exhibitman
05-19-2010, 11:52 AM
I've seen them both ways. The Mutoscope ones seem to show up less frequently, FWIW. I've also got 3 boxers w/the Made IN USA non-Mutoscope format.

whiteymet
05-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks Exhibitman!

So there are TWO different versions of the 1955 Baseball Postcard backs, one with the Mutoscope line and PRINTED in USA under the postcard banner and the other w/o the line and MADE in USA under the banner. That relieves my worries I picked up some bad cards.

I visited the Exhibit Card Co. in Chicago in 1966 when I was 16! Chet ( I believe was his name) was great to me. I still have quite a few uncut sheets in both regular and paper form he gave me that day. One of them even has some cards with an X through them showing they would be dropped. Some of the rare ones from the later issues as I recall. Kranpool, Richardson etc.

Anybody have any of the postcard backs for sale or trade? LMK!

Exhibitman
05-20-2010, 07:31 AM
Now there's factory tour I'd love to have taken. Scans, please, of the uncut materials!

Zach Wheat
05-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks Exhibitman!

So there are TWO different versions of the 1955 Baseball Postcard backs, one with the Mutoscope line and PRINTED in USA under the postcard banner and the other w/o the line and MADE in USA under the banner. That relieves my worries I picked up some bad cards.

I visited the Exhibit Card Co. in Chicago in 1966 when I was 16! Chet ( I believe was his name) was great to me. I still have quite a few uncut sheets in both regular and paper form he gave me that day. One of them even has some cards with an X through them showing they would be dropped. Some of the rare ones from the later issues as I recall. Kranpool, Richardson etc.

Anybody have any of the postcard backs for sale or trade? LMK!

That is kind of neat. How many cards were on a sheet?

Exhibitman
05-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Standard Exhibit sheets are 32 cards:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/interestingexhibitcards/websize/47excut311081.JPG

"Sets" are varied as some were less than full sheet, some cards carried over for years after a series was done (note the Salutations Ted Williams and the Rocky Colavito w/Detroit cap on the illustrated sheet--had to be a post-1959 issue), and some had replacement cards issued during the print run.

whiteymet
05-24-2010, 06:55 PM
OK, Exhibitman you asked for it. My uncut sheets from my tour of the factory back in 1966, along with one or two of my Sheets that went into the machines. One with early boxers I thought you would enjoy. Sorry for the flash problems! This will have to be in multiple posts. Most are regular Exhibit stock, some are glossiery, some are paper versions. Most are blank back, one has the stats in black on the back. More to come.

whiteymet
05-24-2010, 07:53 PM
More photos

whiteymet
05-24-2010, 07:55 PM
More photos

GoldenAge50s
05-25-2010, 09:12 AM
WOW! Those sheets are spectacular! What a treasure!

autograf
05-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Wow.....great thread and great photos whitey..........I too have some of the postcard backed but can't remember if they are mutoscope or not. I have about 2 dozen or so if I remember correctly. I only noticed them while finishing my 1947-1966 set and just happened on them by looking at a back in a dealer's binder. I pulled all he had and wound up paying about $2 each for most of the commons. I'll try to compile a list of them. Haven't seen any around lately and I'd be interested in adding to mine too. Will double-check to see if I have any doubles......

whiteymet
05-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Hey Tom:

Please check to see what you have. I have some extras to trade. Maybe we can help each other.