PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone...

mintacular
05-18-2010, 09:46 PM
flipped their way to a collection of your dreams? In other words, has anyone bought/resold cards for the purpose of using the profits to fund their own card needs? I know the topic of "flipping" is somewhat controversial but I think if someone that does it & uses the exta $ to purchase cards for the PC than it's ok. I don't do much of this but if I see a deal where it allows me to make $ to fund my wantlist than so be it...

In short, I like to think that I make enough nice deals to make a few extra bucks to fund my own card addiction (without have to pay out of pocket.) Anyone else like this? Hope this doesn't sound scandalous, I love this hobby/cards as much as the many of you, so don't take my comments the wrong way.

Browncow75
05-18-2010, 09:54 PM
I did exactly that last year. I kind of "lucked" into the deal though. I bought some cards that were stuck in an old scrapbook and with the guidance of this board, had Dick Towle remove them. I didnt intend to sell them at that point, but another collector who knew of the situation offered me litterally 10x the amount I had invested in them, so I decided I would let them go, and I have been able to use that cash to aquire a couple really nice cards I would have otherwise missed out on.

Bosox Blair
05-19-2010, 01:54 AM
I'm not a "flipper" myself.

I have no moral or philosophical problems with flipping cards to generate money to buy more/better cards.

But there are a lot of people who have been mightily disappointed by playing this game. A couple examples have been recently discussed following the latest REA. If you subscribe to VCP with images, and you spend some time looking through results, I think you will be amazed (and somewhat frightened) at how many people appear to have lost a lot of money reselling pre-war cards bought in the last few years.

Cheers,
Blair

mackmen
05-19-2010, 10:20 AM
I don't think you can necessarily profit from collecting cards and flipping them unless you have a lot of patience (time and effort). However, I do know that I will buy collections for maybe three or four cards and then sell the rest. It is hard though because it ties up so much funds and pisses off my fiancee. Now whenever I sell something it goes into the wedding fund, literally.

dstraate
05-19-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't think you can necessarily profit from collecting cards and flipping them unless you have a lot of patience (time and effort). However, I do know that I will buy collections for maybe three or four cards and then sell the rest. It is hard though because it ties up so much funds and pisses off my fiancee. Now whenever I sell something it goes into the wedding fund, literally.

Take it from a newcomer to the marriage game:

Make a separate account, and mail statements to your work.

HRBAKER
05-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Take it from a newcomer to the marriage game:

Make a separate account, and mail statements to your work.

....and an occasional piece of nice jewelry works too. :D

dstudeba
05-19-2010, 11:38 AM
I know the topic of "flipping" is somewhat controversial but I think if someone that does it & uses the exta $ to purchase cards for the PC than it's ok.

Sorry I am not up on the rules for when selling is OK and when it isn't. If you buy cards, give the money to charity, or buy a keg of beer that is your own choice. As to the original question, sure it can be done otherwise there wouldn't be full time dealers. However like any opportunity it takes work and knowledge otherwise it wouldn't be profitable.

autograf
05-19-2010, 12:11 PM
my view is that there are probably more people who buy AND sell than just buy. Whether that's flipping or what, it's a matter of semantics. I've bought lots to pull a couple cards and resell and I've bought lots to sell all the cards in the lot. I'm not a full time dealer but it certainly frees up capital to buy more stuff I want for myself. There's nothing wrong with that but as someone said earlier, you gotta be ready to take a bath on something you buy if you don't really know what you're buying and times change, so holding onto something has risk too.

Robextend
05-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Isn't there a board member on here that has a blog about his quest to flip his way to a T206 Honus Wagner?

05-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Isn't there a board member on here that has a blog about his quest to flip his way to a T206 Honus Wagner?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=119213&highlight=quest+wagner

bbcard1
05-19-2010, 02:43 PM
I flipped some new stuff for some old stuff..came out like a bandit. Flipped some old stuff for some new stuff...exact opposite. I tend to be too nice. If I get a good deal, I don't normally maximize my return...I end up helping someone out.