PDA

View Full Version : Set Registry Should be for Card Collectors

clamendo
05-18-2010, 08:40 PM
I have sets on both set registries SGC and PSA. I know its a marketing vehicle to get cards graded, but its also an attempt to recognize people who have assemble some very nice sets or collections. Suggestion #1- I don't think that people should be recognized at least right away for simply buying someone else's cards and re-registering them in their name. There should have to add to it "substantively" some percentage or there should be a waiting period (1-2 years?). Or all your effectively doing is recognizing people who have collected money and not cards. Suggestion#2 - Auction houses should not be allowed to register sets. Or eventually they will have the best sets in all categories, as peoiple sell their collections. Like to know every ones thoughts?

Robextend
05-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I respectfully disagree. Who is anyone to say that just because I buy someone's set, that I am not as much a collector as the next guy? Maybe I saved up money and sold many cards to be able to make such an acquisition.

As far as auction houses, I don't see anything wrong because eventually the cards will be back in a personal collection.

Rob

Abravefan11
05-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Rob I agree with you.

Highest Rated = Highest Rated whether accumulated one card at a time or an entire set in one purchase.

Edited to add: Don't hate the player...Hate the game.

clamendo
05-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Isn't it just "Free" advertising for the auction house.

jheffron
05-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Carl, I agree that the collector who spends blood, sweat and tears assembling a set should be recognized over the guy who spends money only. But we know it dosen't always work that way. You have much knowledge in this hobby. Be careful who you impart that knowledge to because you could be working against yourself. Education is not free, it comes with a tuition cost!!!

Bosox Blair
05-18-2010, 09:59 PM
You have much knowledge in this hobby. Be careful who you impart that knowledge to because you could be working against yourself. Education is not free, it comes with a tuition cost!!!

Jim,

This is the complete antithesis of what this Board stands for. It is only useful because the people who participate here don't treat information as their own personal treasure to be guarded and hidden away. I find this sort of attitude to be disappointing, but I suppose it is common among lurkers - take what you can, but don't share...

Cheers,
Blair

HRBAKER
05-18-2010, 10:05 PM
One card at a time or one hundred at a time it's the same, "collector A" has the highest graded set. I'm wary of the you're not a real collector bc you don't collect like I do mindset. Find achievement in your own satisfaction and not a "marketing vehicle." ;)

jheffron
05-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Blair, Relax. I don't think careful=hidden away.

wonkaticket
05-18-2010, 10:36 PM
One card at a time or one hundred at a time it's the same, "collector A" has the highest graded set. I'm wary of the you're not a real collector bc you don't collect like I do mindset. Find achievement in your own satisfaction and not a "marketing vehicle." ;)

Jeff well said, everyone enjoys the hobby in his or her own way. You may not want to go bowling with everyone and that's fine. But when the dust settles if you buy cards and keep most of them then you're card collector regardless of your methods.

Cheers,

John

FrankWakefield
05-18-2010, 10:45 PM
You guys are talking about slab collectors, not card collectors.

Bosox Blair
05-19-2010, 01:40 AM
Blair, Relax. I don't think careful=hidden away.

Right - so a caution to another poster on a public internet bulletin boad to be careful about imparting knowledge to others is not a suggestion not to post??? I thought it was pretty clear...

Cheers,
Blair

Exhibitman
05-19-2010, 06:45 AM
One thing I always wondered about the registry stuff: when a card is sold or a set is sold, how do the registry people verify it? Do the auction houses that register a set change the registry for the buyer?

Leon
05-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Right - so a caution to another poster on a public internet bulletin boad to be careful about imparting knowledge to others is not a suggestion not to post??? I thought it was pretty clear...

Cheers,
Blair

I have to mostly agree with ya' Blair. In the last few days we have seen one of the reasons I am disappointed with the way the board goes. Folks use it for ONLY their personal vendetta vehicle instead of helping with knowledge. I guess most of us regular posters can keep being the good guys and the ones that ONLY use it for their personal situation, or to gripe or whatever, can continue to be stingy. Unfortunately I can think of at least 3-5 good hobby friends that are that way. Oh well.....I guess if that makes them happy (to not share) then who are we to spoil their happiness.:confused:

btw, to the original question- I do not think Auction Houses should be able to register sets on registries. Just my opinion. It should be for collectors. An inanimate object (business) can't collect.

smtjoy
05-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Adam, when a registry card/set is sold it will stay in the registry until the new owner tries to enter the card and then they will get a notice that the card is in another set and do you wish to send them an email to remove it. PSA/SGC gives them a couple days and then they will remove it for you, a few times they have asked for front and back scans to make sure you own the card.

The down side of this is when a graded card/set is sold to someone who is not a registry collector the cards can stay in the old set, I follow one exhibit set that a bunch have been sold and yet the set still shows them in it 1 year after they were sold.

jb217676
05-19-2010, 07:49 AM
One thing I always wondered about the registry stuff: when a card is sold or a set is sold, how do the registry people verify it? Do the auction houses that register a set change the registry for the buyer?

If the previous owner of a registered card or set does not remove them from there set registries, PSA will remove it. PSA gives the previous owner 3 days to remove the cards. If the cards are not removed after 3 days, the new owner must provide front and back scans of his cards and PSA will then remove them. This happened with one of my '63-'64 Parkies 2 weeks ago when the seller of my card failed to remove it from his registry.

jb217676
05-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Adam, when a registry card/set is sold it will stay in the registry until the new owner tries to enter the card and then they will get a notice that the card is in another set and do you wish to send them an email to remove it. PSA/SGC gives them a couple days and then they will remove it for you, a few times they have asked for front and back scans to make sure you own the card.

The down side of this is when a graded card/set is sold to someone who is not a registry collector the cards can stay in the old set, I follow one exhibit set that a bunch have been sold and yet the set still shows them in it 1 year after they were sold.

Scott, we must have been thinking and typing at the same time!

martyogelvie
05-19-2010, 08:18 AM

i collect both, slabs and cards.. but that was funny :D

drdduet
05-19-2010, 08:30 AM

Frank your comment got me thinking,

Would would a gem mint graded/authenticated flip from crossed over T206 Honus Wagner bring at auction? Or a complete T206 set of flips?

Exhibitman
05-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the info; I figured there had to be a method to it. The only time I ever did anything comparable with a registry set was when I traded "down" a card for another registry card but the other collector and me both notified SGC of the trade and made a mutual item switch. They'll do that, BTW, without the collectors having to re-enter the data, if you ask.

mdschulze
05-19-2010, 02:05 PM
I agree somewhat with what you're saying about contributing to the Board, especially if you've been in the hobby for awhile. I, myself, fall into the category of "newbie dumbass" and I depend on a lot of the more experienced collectors here for insight and advice. Even though I'm a lurker, I do appreciate all the knowledge and experience you guys pass around on here.

With that being said, I personally have nothing to contribute to this forum that would benefit the more experienced prewar collectors. If this were a forum about "how to divorce a crack head stripper"... then I would be the expert and I would have a lot more posts than what I do now. Until I have a few more years in the hobby, I'll stick to the old saying... "it's better to remain silent and let people believe your a dumbass than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"!!

Exhibitman
05-19-2010, 03:18 PM
If this were a forum about "how to divorce a crack head stripper"... then I would be the expert and I would have a lot more posts than what I do now.

OK, you can't leave that one hanging, Mike...

Jim VB
05-19-2010, 03:43 PM
If this were a forum about "how to divorce a crack head stripper"... then I would be the expert and I would have a lot more posts than what I do now.

Post of the Year candidate! Very nicely done!

Now, about registries... I have no idea how PSA works (or doesn't work), so anything I say pertains to SGC.

I did have several sets on the SGC registry (vintage basketball, not baseball.) When I decided to sell them through REA, I changed the name on the Registry to something like "REA Spring 2010, 1957 Topps Basketball Set." I did this, not REA. Was it advertising? Of course, but it was designed to market my sets. It was to alert other SGC Registry guys that these sets were coming to market in a few months. About a month before the auction, Brian noticed that several other people had done the same thing, with slight differences in how we named the sets. He offered to standardize them, and basically, turn control of these sets over to REA, if I wanted to. We checked with REA and they were fine with this. The subsequent owner/winning bidder will be able to do the same thing.

My motives were to maximize the sale price of the sets.
REA was not involved in this, at all, until the very end. They had no part in it and didn't really stand to benefit at all.
SGC was involved only to make it better for both me, and the next owner. They gained nothing else.

I consider myself a collector, first and foremost. Outside of that, I don't understand this thread at all. Whoever currently owns my set will either keep it together, and change the name if they want to, or will break it up, in which case, I guess SGC should delist it. But I certainly don't see this as one of the hobby's problems.

HRBAKER
05-19-2010, 03:49 PM
"I consider myself a collector, first and foremost. Outside of that, I don't understand this thread at all. Whoever currently owns my set will either keep it together, and change the name if they want to, or will break it up, in which case, I guess SGC should delist it. But I certainly don't see this as one of the hobby's problems." AGREED!

Whether you bought a set because you have collected money (whatever that means) or added to cards you had as a child or built it one card at a time from scratch, at the end of the day all three ways produce a set. Why should the registry look at any of these any differently. Non-issue.

Leon
05-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I agree somewhat with what you're saying about contributing to the Board, especially if you've been in the hobby for awhile. I, myself, fall into the category of "newbie dumbass" and I depend on a lot of the more experienced collectors here for insight and advice. Even though I'm a lurker, I do appreciate all the knowledge and experience you guys pass around on here.

With that being said, I personally have nothing to contribute to this forum that would benefit the more experienced prewar collectors. If this were a forum about "how to divorce a crack head stripper"... then I would be the expert and I would have a lot more posts than what I do now. Until I have a few more years in the hobby, I'll stick to the old saying... "it's better to remain silent and let people believe your a dumbass than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"!!

Mike - My comments have nothing at all to do with newbie collectors. Newbies should read and absorb and chime in when they feel comfortable. I was talking about some friends who have been doing this for 15+ years (some for 30+) and only contribute when they want to bitch about not being paid by Mastro, bitch about grading or bitch just to bitch (and saying they will never dispel information as it will cost them money). Those are my least favorite board members but are still friends otherwise. Lurking is one of the best ways to learn. I guess not everyone likes to help others and give back to the hobby. (again, I am talking of experienced collectors) best regards

Bosox Blair
05-19-2010, 06:34 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the laugh - that line is absolutely classic!!! :D

Cheers,
Blair