PDA

View Full Version : Blank Back T-206 Valuation/Scarcity Question

JP
05-18-2010, 02:38 PM
A fellow Net54er has offered me the unique opportunity to get a Blank Back T-206 Charles O'leary (Hands on Knees), which I obviously need for my O'leary back set. Now I've purchased my Cycle 460 and Broadleaf 460 from fellow board members outside of Net54 (thx Ron and Scott!), and in both cases I got the cards at fair market price even though they both knew I was going for a backs set and couldve asked for a slight premium. My question is this: The blank back is being offered to me at around $2500 plus or minus a bit. Is this a fair price? Even if it is a slight premium, I don't mind paying. But if a blank back common T-206 is worth far less, I'd like to know. I have NO IDEA what something like this is worth. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.

scottglevy
05-18-2010, 02:45 PM
I have owned about a dozen T206 blank backs in the past. I've bought and sold them for between $200 - $500 with the exception of three incredibly beautiful SLers / HOFers for which I've paid high triple digits.

Hope that helps,
Scott

ullmandds
05-18-2010, 03:25 PM
I agree w/Scott...$2500 is drum money...common blanks should go for 5-800...in my opinion.

DixieBaseball
05-18-2010, 03:53 PM
I just paid around $400-$500 for a rough cut blank back Southern Leaguer. I think the value of these is subjectional since there are so few, but $2,500 sounds steep. I might go $1,000 if I really wanted it, but not near that much.

E93
05-18-2010, 04:27 PM
I agree with Scott and Peter. I would say $400-500 for an average example - a little more for a nice one, a little less for a not-so-nice one.
JimB

packs
05-18-2010, 04:31 PM
$2500 is kinda crazy. I remember not too long ago someone had a blank bank common on the BST for $400.

JP
05-18-2010, 04:36 PM
I won't disclose who it is, but the trade offered was for an SGC 30 Black Lenox common and the O'leary Blank Back for my PSA 3 Demmitt. So far it seems that everyone feels that would be ludicrous for me to do...based on valuation. I don't want to be taken advantage of just to complete this backs set...

ullmandds
05-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Yea JP...you'd be giving away 3K+ on that deal...I'd pass...although it may take a long long time to find another o'leary BB!

JP
05-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Peter, the owner says it is the only one. So you may be right. But I guess I do have to draw the line somewhere. Now I'm curious how much Wonka ever went above and beyond market on any of his Murphys...

ullmandds
05-18-2010, 05:36 PM
while it may be the only one...there's no way the owner really knows...only 1 graded maybe...but the grading co's haven't been grading bb t206's that long!

pete

E93
05-18-2010, 05:49 PM
I would definitely NOT take that trade.
JimB

JP
05-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks fellas. It's easy to get blinded by the need to find that "one" card. But I can be patient. I'll wait 25 years if I have to. Or maybe the seller will realize that the best price he could ever get is with me, and that he'd be doing a very significant kindness to me.

scottglevy
05-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Things have a way of working out.

Wonka ended up getting a BL460 Murphy for a reasonable price in the end. Just relax about the whole thing....or offer a replacement blank back + a few hundred for doing you a favor.

JP
05-18-2010, 06:39 PM
You're right Scott. I offered $1000 for it as I have no blank bck to trade, even though the owner said "No negotiation. Take it or leave it." I'm hoping he'll take that more than fair offer.

I guess I have your dad to thank for this. The handwritten letter he wrote me about collecting backs is one of the greatest experiences I have ever had in this hobby. :) He'd have the patience to wait and so will I. I'm still not even sure if I consider a blank back a back type at all!

teetwoohsix
05-18-2010, 06:46 PM
I wasn't going to say it JP,but since you did :D

I was thinking about replying by saying " would you really need a blank backed card to complete a back run"?

It would be way cool to add it to the back run,but don't know if it would be "necessary" to have to meet your goal of a complete back run.

Good luck though,I hope you and the seller can work out something that satisfies you both!!

Sincerely,Clayton

JP
05-18-2010, 06:57 PM
I hope so, too! He seems like a reasonable guy, and I know we've done business together on eBay before. I was actually a bit shocked, since he approached me and made the trade offer all in the first PM, that he would say the "take it or leave it" part. Half of the fun in doing deals on here is working out trade details together, not having terms dictated to you...

Leon
05-18-2010, 07:02 PM
$2500 seems a little high but I paid a bit more than that for this blank back....:eek:

JP
05-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Wow, Leon, but isn't that a proof? I'm assuming that is in a whole different league from a blank back, right?

Leon
05-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Wow, Leon, but isn't that a proof? I'm assuming that is in a whole different league from a blank back, right?

JP- Yeap, it is a little more than a regular blank back, I guess. I have shown it a million and two times before but never tire of seeing it. I got a wild hair up my arse one day and bought it from a board member who had just acquired it. I guess it was the proverbial hot potato and I landed with it, and have really enjoyed it. regards

JP
05-18-2010, 08:02 PM
I know what that's like...it's like your multi-overprint that I think about at least on a weekly basis. Some day she will reside in my collection. I'll add $20 to the pot daily, and a few tears of jealousy, until one day I make it unbearable for you NOT to sell it to me.

Amazing proof! Definitely envious of that purchase!

scottglevy
05-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Proofs are worth WAY more than blank backs. I paid four digits for a proof years ago and actually felt like I got a good deal. Thankfully I still have it :)

Bridwell
05-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Hi JP,

I'd pass on the blank back. Most of the ones on the market are bogus anyway. They are bleached to remove die or they are skinned cards. Most of the real ones are handcut. $1000 was a generous offer you made.

Ron R