PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on an Island

mr2686
05-18-2010, 12:45 PM
OK...so you're in a plane/ship etc wreck and you wash up on an Island. It's just you, Pam Anderson/Marilyn Monroe/etc etc, you're IPOD with all your music (and it's solar powered) and one piece of memorabilia from your collection. Miraculously, it will never fade, chip, or get wet...it's yours to look at for as long as you live. What piece would it be?

bigtrain
05-18-2010, 01:27 PM
From a practical standpoint, I'd take my Ted Williams autographed rod and reel.

D. Bergin
05-18-2010, 01:29 PM
A Ted Williams fishing pole.

Ms. Jolie gets cranky when she's hungry.

:D

D. Bergin
05-18-2010, 01:29 PM
From a practical standpoint, I'd take my Ted Williams autographed rod and reel.

Wow! Beat me to it. :(

bigtrain
05-18-2010, 01:51 PM
But I'm too old for Angelina. She'd kill me in a week. What a way to go!

HRBAKER
05-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Who's Next - the Who

Oops! Wrong message board.

smokelessjoe
05-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Would this piece of memorabilia be OIL resistant as well???:)

FUBAR
05-18-2010, 02:39 PM
i would go with my Jesus Christ auto bought from Coach's Corner and hope i could summon the powers within to part the sea and walk home, I would have to send a plane back for Shakira (my choice of females) as she wouldn't be able to walk after this big fella got done with her.

yanks12025
05-18-2010, 03:15 PM
I dont have this item but what about a Gilligan's Island crew signed raft.:) Then for my choice of female would be Jessica Alba.

Lordstan
05-18-2010, 03:40 PM
My piece would be Halle Berry.:D
My item would be the catwoman suit she wore.:D:D
Forget the raft, why would I want to go home?

mr2686
05-18-2010, 03:47 PM
I was wondering when someone would pick up on the "piece" reference...should have know it would be you Mark :D
I'm starting to think you guys aren't taking this life altering topic seriously:eek:

steve B
05-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Didn't they put the Ted Williams name on stuff like ....Boats and oars as well?

But yeah, if the rest is perfect, why leave?

Steve B

sbfinley
05-19-2010, 01:00 AM
Maggie Gyllenhaal.

My wife.

Rubber Soul original mono vinyl.

Turntable.

My pre-rookie Bridges letter.

Rum.

thekingofclout
05-19-2010, 04:49 AM
Stuck on an Island, for the rest of my life... I'd have to stick with Grace & Gehrig.

Lordstan
05-19-2010, 06:57 AM
Great ideas all.
I love the Rubber Soul album. I can think of a few others I would like as well.

Jimmy,
Gehrig is a stunner, but I'm not sure I'd have a lot of time to look at it with our other items on the island as well.

And yes, I would bring the love of my life, my wife, as well.

mr2686
05-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Mark, I don't think your wife will believe that Halle Berry in a Catwoman suit is indigenous to the island :D
How about throwing this curve in to the mix...let's say you're on the island alone but you have a choice of getting off the island but never being able to purchase another piece of memorabilia, or staying on the island alone the rest of your life but somehow able to order and receive any piece of memorabilia that's available for sale...as much as you want for the rest of your life? Which do you do?

Lordstan
05-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Mike,
I can hope the wife would buy it!:rolleyes:

I don't think that question can really be answered by anyone, because over the years our taste changes. Even the most beautiful picture, card, autograph, or piece of memorabilia would get a bit boring to admire over time. i think a big part of the drive of collectors is the hunt. The frustration of searching hard for the last card in the set, followed by the, yes...I'll say it, ecstasy, of finding and acquiring the item is all part of the experience. Then once you complete the set you now have to move on to a run of sets or, in Jimmy's case, a run of companion pieces.

Upon reflection, I'm not sure I would take anything with me, because it would just serve to remind me of what I am missing. Like Tom Hanks, I'm afraid I'd be talking to "Wilson" or Babe or Lou, etc.

I also think our passion for this stuff would fade somewhat without others to share it with. The friend and fellow ship of places like this board are part of what makes this fun. On an island who would I show my one item to?

Sorry, just waxing a little philosophical today.
Mark

base_ball
05-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Figuring that the island stay will come to an end, and my fantasy partner will dump me when the dream is over...I'll go with these. Looks like Ted comes up big in the desert island memorabilia department