PDA

View Full Version : New To Net54 and T206's

btcarfagno
05-17-2010, 10:00 PM
This is an unbelievable forum and really a wonderful library of information on vintage cards. Many kudos to Leon and everyone else involved here. Great stuff.

I have collected cards on and off for the past 30+ years, but have been largely away from the hobby recently due to having other financial commitments (wife, mortgage, 3 kids 10 and under...did I mention my wife?). However, I saw an opportunity recently to begin a collectibles investment partnership. I have decided that a part of this should be to try to assemble as much of a master T206 set as can be assembled.

Yes, I know what I am in for...at least I think I do. Those who have been collecting the set for decades on this forum know far better than I obviously. And hey...I'm a Pittsburgh Pirate fan. I must have something of a masochistic streak.

I will post what I am looking for in the WTB forum. I don't want to step on any toes so please let me know if I do. I am quite serious about this as it is a rare opportunity to do something I love and actually have the monetary backing to get the job under way (if not totally done...I don't have THAT many partbers...yet!!).

So again, just wanted to thank you for this amazing forum and hopefully I will be buying from many of you in the coming years.

Take care.

Tom

FUBAR
05-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Welcome

" collectibles investment partnership "

i might use this phrase should i ever feel the need

Jantz
05-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Hi Tom

Welcome to the Board

Good luck on your quest

Feel free to ask any questions that you might have

Jantz

FrankWakefield
05-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Welcome.

Patience. And some tolerance.

btcarfagno
05-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks.

I'm sure there are a bunch of regulars here rolling there eyes at the newbie...to the forum and the set. I understand that. I sort of know what I am up against. But it has been a dream of mine for years and now I finally have a chance to realize it...or try to anyway.

Tom

FUBAR
05-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Tom

some of the auction houses may have the large lots of t206's you are looking for... try Huggins and Scott, they have a current auction up

Jim VB
05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm sure there are a bunch of regulars here rolling there eyes at the newbie...to the forum and the set.
Tom

I don't think so. We usually save our eye rolling for the new guys who intend to complete T206 in less than 6 weeks. (Hence, Frank's comment about patience.) They seem to burn out fast.

Welcome to the board. Enjoy the trip.

Jantz
05-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Tom

The first thing you might want to do is download a copy of Scot Reader's Guide "Inside T206 Centennial Edition" if you haven't already. You can find it by doing a search on the net. Its in a PDF format and will prove to be a valuable tool for you in the future.

Jantz

M's_Fan
05-17-2010, 11:46 PM
welcome to the forum, even if you do or do not go after this goal.

What condition of T206's are you looking for? This really determines how tough the task will be. And do you expect to buy any of the big four, or will you set be minus the four?

E93
05-18-2010, 12:21 AM
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn about the intricacies of the T206 set. Do some searches for past threads, particularly those started by Ted Z.
All the best in your quest,
JimB

Bill Stone
05-18-2010, 04:41 AM
Welcome ---please take time to hold a newly acquired card in your hand and study it . Research the player and appreciate the age of the card and the role the player had in the game of baseball. I know it is an investment but in a small way it is also a piece of history. Good luck.

btcarfagno
05-18-2010, 07:12 AM
Tom

The first thing you might want to do is download a copy of Scot Reader's Guide "Inside T206 Centennial Edition" if you haven't already. You can find it by doing a search on the net. Its in a PDF format and will prove to be a valuable tool for you in the future.

Jantz

Thanks to this forum I did that a few days ago. It's just amazing that a set that is so well know can still hold so many surprises and mysteries. It seems like it's more than just a challenge. And that's one of the best things about collecting for me in general.

Tom

btcarfagno
05-18-2010, 07:15 AM
welcome to the forum, even if you do or do not go after this goal.

What condition of T206's are you looking for? This really determines how tough the task will be. And do you expect to buy any of the big four, or will you set be minus the four?

For now I'm hoping to get cards in VG or better. To keep the cost down I am going to focus on VG. Slabbed or unslabbed doesn't matter, although I would most likely prefer to purchase the more expensive cards slabbed. Not that the grading companies are perfect either...but they are far better than I in determining if a card ahs been altered. And for now I am going to try to concentrate on the set without the big 3 or 4. If I get an opportunity I can't pass up that could change...but for now that's the plan.

Tom

btcarfagno
05-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Welcome ---please take time to hold a newly acquired card in your hand and study it . Research the player and appreciate the age of the card and the role the player had in the game of baseball. I know it is an investment but in a small way it is also a piece of history. Good luck.

That's what got me first interested in the T206 cards and the deadball era in general. I got my first T206 card as a 12 year old when I had a table at a card show (early start). It was a Rube Marquard. Outside of knowing he was a Hall of Famer, I didn't know anything else about him. So I did some research and found The Glory of Thier Times. Since then I have been absolutely fascinated by the deadball era. After reading that book, I was in awe of the fact that I could hold a Marquard card in my hand that was issued when he was in his prime...that perhaps a fan who saw him play had first owned the card. I felt it to be my privilege to be the custodian of that card and have kept it safe ever since while the rest of my collection has come and gone.

Tom

Leon
05-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Welcome to the board, Tom. If I can ever be of assistance please let me know. As many have said, be patient (as I think you will) and enjoy the journey as much as the goal. best regards

M's_Fan
05-18-2010, 10:22 AM
If I had to make one suggestion, it would be to start with a goal that will be more achievable in the short term, and then expand. Many start the monster only to get frustrated and give up. So I recommend starting with a subset goal like a team subset, or an all hall of fame subset, and then once that is achieved you build upon that until you go for the whole enchilada. Good luck and check back with us!

ethicsprof
05-18-2010, 02:16 PM
welcome aboard!!
remember: the Monster wants you to quit.
Don't listen to it!!

best,
barry

jbsports33
05-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Welcome to the board, we always have T206s just got 80 or so - but make sure you post what you need on the BST

good luck

Jimmy

teetwoohsix
05-18-2010, 06:10 PM
I would also like to say welcome Tom!!

I also am collecting T206's in the V/G to V/G-E/X range,,and as everyone has said,use patience :)

It is very fun,and very addicting-good luck hunting!!

Sincerely,Clayton

B O'Brien
05-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Hi Tom,
Welcome to the board and the T206's.
The investment group thing has me curious, it may very well be none of my business and I am cool with that, but just want to ask some questions.

How did you pitch this to your investors (if other folks aside from yourself are involved)?
Was it a capital up front kind of deal?
What kind of timeline do you have to try and finish/cash out and hope to see ROI?

I wish the best of luck, but remember that some cards are tough to find period, no matter what condition. I have passed on a few low grade cards because they did not fit my focus at the time, and kick myself now.

Hope all is well,
Bob