PDA

View Full Version : Best resolution for scanning cards?

Buythatcard
05-17-2010, 04:13 PM
I have scanned about 100,000 cards in my life but I am still not satisified with the results. I have been setting the resolution to 300 dpi (dots per inch).
I am wondering what you all think is the best dpi to use for cards?

bobbvc
05-17-2010, 04:23 PM
I like 600 dpi. (but I'm not close to 100,000 scans either)

Matt
05-17-2010, 04:59 PM
The scan resolution is only one contributing factor to scan quality. The difference between an identically sized 300 dpi and 600 dpi scan is negligible compared to the difference between a CIS and a CCD (better) scanner or the difference between 50% and 95% JPG compression. I'd make sure you have a CCD scanner, and then play with your JPG compressions settings first before I worried about the dpi. Additionally, software adjustments like sharpening will also effect the finished scan more then dpi.
Now, if you are displaying the image at 400% actual size or photo printing, then scan DPI becomes more important.

Griffins
05-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Matt, why would you scan as a jpg instead of a tif?
Jpgs lose something each time they are manipulated and saved, a tif doesn't.
I scan as tifs, do all the post processing, sharpen at the end, and then save as a jpg. Just wondering if there is an advantage I"m not seeing to scanning as a jpg to start, other than the size issues.

Matt
05-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Matt, why would you scan as a jpg instead of a tif?
Jpgs lose something each time they are manipulated and saved, a tif doesn't.
I scan as tifs, do all the post processing, sharpen at the end, and then save as a jpg. Just wondering if there is an advantage I"m not seeing to scanning as a jpg to start, other than the size issues.

jpg and tif are save formats - you don't "scan as a jpg." When you save the file, most people save jpgs so they don't take up too much space. I assume Howard wasn't scanning 100,000 cards for his personal collection. When you save as a jpg, there is a loss of detail due to the compression; that is something that can be controlled and greatly effects the finished product.

Bamacollection
05-17-2010, 06:41 PM
The $100 stand alone Epson on 400 dpi. is as good as you will ever need.

Rob D.
05-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Q: What tires for an SUV provide the smoothest ride?

A: All you need is a Toyota Highlander.