PDA

View Full Version : How to store an expensive ball???

tlwise12
05-17-2010, 12:52 PM
How would you store an expensive autographed ball??? I would like advice on how to display it and keeping it locked away!

Thanks so much!

Travis
tlwise12@aol.com

slidekellyslide
05-17-2010, 01:00 PM
It's best just to store expensive autographed baseballs in the darkness and just bring them out to show them off occasionally. If you absolutely have to display it though makes sure it's behind UV glass.

mr2686
05-17-2010, 01:48 PM
I would also add that you should not go cheap on the UV Glass. Use Museum quality glass. You can order it or have your framer do so. That's all I use as well as making sure any room where I have balls, autographs, pictures, etc displayed is kept dark unless I'm showing them off.

collectbaseball
05-17-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm looking forward to the responses on this one, even in regards to storing a cheap autographed ball. I had a few balls I got signed at the 1999 All Star FanFest in plastic ball cube things, and the ballpoint ink has bled a lot (due to humidity, I believe?). The ones in the spherical plastic holders have fared better. What's the best way to store a ball to combat humidity, etc? Should I be wrapping them in saran wrap or something? Do the glass cases like Steiner sells protect effectively enough against UV?

FUBAR
05-17-2010, 02:09 PM
if you are going to display them, yes UV glass is important. One other thing that has plenty of benefits is change all lighting to LED lights. They will save on power consumption but also have no UV.

im not sure where one would go for museum grade uv glass or how affordable that is, but when i do my displays, i am going to look into it. Id be interested to know how much advantage it would offer over regular uv glass.

mr2686
05-17-2010, 02:14 PM
It might or might not have anything to do with humidity. Some ink tends to bleed more than others on balls...and even if not the ink, it sometimes has to do with the oils from your fingers that might have touched the area before it was signed. My general rule of thumb, buy a ball, take it out with gloves and make sure it's not blemished where you want it signed. If you don't have gloves, like during a show, only handle it by the laces. Put the signed ball in a case or display cube that is made with high quality uv glass. Try to keep them out of the light as much as possible. Also, I like to use Bic medium point pens...I've had the best luck with them. I have about 110 balls, alot of which are from back in the 80's, and the one's where I could control the pen used, ball, etc are all looking great. There are a couple that look a bit faded due to the pen used and a couple that have bled a bit (either an ink or handling issue). If you live in an area with high humidity, and you have a memorabilia room, you may want to invest in a dehumidifier. In California we really don't have a need for one, but I've been to other states where I would invest in a couple :D

Scott Garner
05-17-2010, 03:03 PM
I agree with Mike and using Bic medium point pens. They have always been my favorite pen choice. I would also add that using BLUE ink as opposed to black is a great idea. Black ball point ink frequently fades, and, in my mind, is a recipe for disaster. I avoid it because I have been burned a few times, especially if the signer has a light touch with a pen. Two HOF guys that sign with light pen pressure that come to mind are Tony Gwynn and Eddie Murray.

When it comes to signatures that bleed, there are a lot of reasons that this seems to happen with a baseball. Leather baseballs are not always as stable as a piece of paper when it comes to a sig. One that Mike didn't mention is that all baseballs are not created equal. Experience has shown me that some balls just seem to naturally end up with toning and bleeding signatures regardless of how you handle them (on the laces, etc.) and what pen you use.

It might or might not have anything to do with humidity. Some ink tends to bleed more than others on balls...and even if not the ink, it sometimes has to do with the oils from your fingers that might have touched the area before it was signed. My general rule of thumb, buy a ball, take it out with gloves and make sure it's not blemished where you want it signed. If you don't have gloves, like during a show, only handle it by the laces. Put the signed ball in a case or display cube that is made with high quality uv glass. Try to keep them out of the light as much as possible. Also, I like to use Bic medium point pens...I've had the best luck with them. I have about 110 balls, alot of which are from back in the 80's, and the one's where I could control the pen used, ball, etc are all looking great. There are a couple that look a bit faded due to the pen used and a couple that have bled a bit (either an ink or handling issue). If you live in an area with high humidity, and you have a memorabilia room, you may want to invest in a dehumidifier. In California we really don't have a need for one, but I've been to other states where I would invest in a couple :D

mr2686
05-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Scott is right on, no two baseballs are equal. I'd also agree with the black ballpoint pen...stay away. It's funny you should mention Gwynn and Murray, I had to replace both because they became two light. Another one is Willie McCovey.

Fuddjcal
05-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Here's the way I display mine in my home office. I also have 36 in plastic UV ball cubes inside a regular file box, This is my limit! When I buy 1, I have to sell one. Just a rule I started after I had 3 File boxes full, I'm now safely at 1 box plus the 36 displayed.

I have had fairly good luck with the older balls (NL & AL), but have had a couple Seligs that the ink dried right up on and faded off. Those were used as batting practice. The ones you see in the Cabinet are displayed in a room that gets full sun in the morning. I now limit the sunlight by shading the half moon window and of course blinds on the patio door. The balls are placed in the UV plastic cubes and then put into the cabinet that also has UV glass. 3 of the balls on the File cabinet have those Steiner UV glass holders and the oter 2 are plastic. They don't get as much light and they have been good going on 5 years. If I notice anything fading, I just swap it with another from the filing box. It works for me. The more expensive picture are framed with UV glass as well. Good luck.

mr2686
05-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Hey Fuddjcal, is that Stengel/Berra SI signed by Stengel? I haven't seen many of those.

yanksfan09
05-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Fuddjcal : Nice looking Wall!

Scott Garner
05-17-2010, 07:26 PM
This is the way that I store many of my baseballs. Ball cubes behind UV tempered glass and minimal light exposure.

FUBAR
05-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Great display Scott. very similar to what i want to do one day, although i thought of painting the wall in behind the balls black so they pop a little more.

celoknob
05-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Does anyone have a specific brand of these uv holders that they recommend? Thanks.

David Atkatz
05-17-2010, 09:29 PM
I've got a few very valuable signed baseballs--'27 Yanks, '23 Yanks, Ruth...

I would worry too much having them around the house, so they're all in a safe deposit box.

(UV safe, of course.)

FUBAR
05-17-2010, 09:39 PM
id have to have nice framed pictures of those incredible balls on my walls

Fuddjcal
05-17-2010, 10:51 PM
yes Fubby, You can check it out on the PSA web site, #H44805

here's the link

http://www.psadna.com/verify.chtml

and those balls are displayed PERFECTLY Scott!

FUBAR
05-17-2010, 11:05 PM
as wrong as this sounds, id have to have a photo of Dave's balls if i owned them myself and had them in storage

David Atkatz
05-17-2010, 11:20 PM
I have lots of photos.

(And, of course, I can look at them anytime I like. ;))

FUBAR
05-18-2010, 01:17 AM
I meant of your BASEBALLS Dave, YOUR BASEBALLS!!! ;):D

Scott Garner
05-18-2010, 04:47 AM
I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer to your question. I have mostly bought BallQube, Inc. brand from Laneville, TX, but I believe that they are all pretty good.

Does anyone have a specific brand of these uv holders that they recommend? Thanks.

Fuddjcal
05-18-2010, 08:09 AM
I prefer UltraPro. for basic storage. They are UV Protected and generally hold the ball better than others. ( 3-prong holder, signature does not touch cube) I don't like those Ballcubes without a stand inside them. They can smudge your Autos from rubbing inside and are not UV protected

Scott Garner
05-18-2010, 08:39 AM
My only concern with the 3 or 4 prong UltraPro type holder is that I have wondered what effect the prongs will have on the ball over time. I personally haven't given much consideration to the UV feature of UltraPro due to the fact that my balls are actually behind UV glass in the ball display case that I designed and are not really exposed to light. If I was displaying them in light I might find that feature more important.

For higher end balls I am also partial to the glass and wood displays with mirrored bottom that is produced by Steiner Sports. I have attached a picture of one of these, but the square glass cover has been removed for photography purposes to get a nice shot of the ball.

I prefer UltraPro. for basic storage. They are UV Protected and generally hold the ball better than others. ( 3-prong holder, signature does not touch cube) I don't like those Ballcubes without a stand inside them. They can smudge your Autos from rubbing inside and are not UV protected