PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Basketball programs

Sportsguy20
05-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Anybody interested in vintage basketball programs? Are they worth anything?
What price do you think is fair for a 1954 Syracuse program?

theantiquetiger
05-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Anybody interested in vintage basketball programs? Are they worth anything?
What price do you think is fair for a 1954 Syracuse program?

Do you have anything with LSU (Louisiana State)?

College basketball programs are not high dollar like football (unless certain player is on cover, etc).

I have seen Maravich programs sell for $200+, and I have a 1953 Final Four program that I was offered $500 on (but it also has Dean Smith and Bob Pettit in it).

What programs do you have?

Sportsguy20
05-17-2010, 04:34 PM
I have 1950's and 1960's. Syracuse, 76'ers, etc.

theantiquetiger
05-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Any list?

edit:

OK, your are talking Syracuse Nationals (pro team) and Philly Warriors (not 76'ers). What years do you have?

Joe Hunter
05-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Early Final Four programs are pretty valuable. One that comes to mind is the 1957 Final Four at Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City. That program featured the triple-overtime win by North Carolina over Wilt Chamberlain and the Kansas Jayhawks in one of the semifinal games. I've seen that program bring upwards of a thousand dollars in average condition.

theantiquetiger
05-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Early Final Four programs are pretty valuable. One that comes to mind is the 1957 Final Four at Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City. That program featured the triple-overtime win by North Carolina over Wilt Chamberlain and the Kansas Jayhawks in one of the semifinal games. I've seen that program bring upwards of a thousand dollars in average condition.

Some one found a 53 Final Four program at the same estate sale I found mine. He already has it on eBay. His is not in as good condition as mine. I am very interested in what it sells for.

I paid 50 cents for mine. It was under a stack of magazines. The top 4 magazines were LSU magazines & programs (worth about $10-$20 each). The bottom two magazines were the 53 Final Four and 1954 NBA in Preview magazine. I took them just because they were 50 cents each. I didn't realize it was a LSU Final Four program and Bob Pettit's rookie year magazine until a few hours later when I was talking to my friend about what I found. My jaw hit the ground while I was on the phone when I realized what it was.

The guy who offered me $500 for it the same day is a friend of mine and is some what of a LSU program expert. He called another expert/dealer and they figured it is worth $1000. The other expert has never seen one, but had sold a Sweet 16 program from that year for $500+.

Jewish-collector
05-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Excellent topic !!! I am a HUGE collector of vintage basketball memorabilia, including vintage basketball programs, although I can't afford the really good stuff. The early NCAA programs are really valuable as are the early professional programs, especially all-star programs and playoff programs. The National Basketball League (NBL) programs, which was the league before NBA, are very rare and in huge demand and bring top dollar on ebay and/or the auction houses.

Alan

Sportsguy20
05-18-2010, 04:25 PM
I don't have NBL stuff. Just 1950's and 1960'.

Andy Sandler
05-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi! I collect pre-1940 Professional basketball programs, tickets, schedules, photos, autographs, postcards, etc. This includes items from the Buffalo Germans, Troy Trojans, Kingston Colonials, Paterson Crescents, New York Celtics, Cleveland Rosenblums, Chicago Bruins, etc. Have any of this stuff? Please let me know.
Thanks, Andy alwysyakn@aol.com
P.S. I am also looking for Lakers home programs from the 1940's and 1950's as well as anything from the Long Beach Chiefs of the ABL of the 1960's.
Can anyone help me?

Jewish-collector
05-19-2010, 07:28 PM
This thread is getting me motivated to possibly coordinate a vintage basketball dinner meet-up one night during the National. Maybe there would be some interest. We shall see.

Alan

olsport
05-22-2010, 11:14 PM
I have the actual medal from the 1959 NCAA tournament that was given to the winners, Pet Newell's Cal team. Any idea on value?